Thread: CA-Cop, driving over the speed limit and typing on his computer, kills cyclist. No charges.

Exclamation CA-Cop, driving over the speed limit and typing on his computer, kills cyclist. No charges.

Qualified immunity, move along now...

No charges for LASD deputy who fatally struck cyclist while typing on computer

http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...-typing-deputy

Posted: 08/27/14, 4:12 PM PDT

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office declined to press charges against a sheriff’s deputy who was apparently distracted by his mobile digital computer when he fatally struck cyclist Milton Olin Jr. in Calabasas in December, officials announced Wednesday.

Extra: See the district attorney’s report on why no charges will be filed.

Olin, a prominent entertainment attorney, was riding his bicycle in the 22400 block of Mulholland Highway when he was struck by L.A. County Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Wood’s patrol car in the bicycle lane on the afternoon of Dec. 8. The former A&M Records and Napster executive reportedly landed on the windshield and shattered the glass before rolling off the patrol car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Wood, a 16-year department veteran, was returning from a fire call at Calabasas High School at the time of the collision.

“Wood entered the bicycle lane as a result of inattention caused by typing into his (Mobile Digital Computer),” according to the declination letter prepared by the Justice System Integrity Division of the District Attorney’s Office and released Wednesday. “He was responding to a deputy who was inquiring whether the fire investigation had been completed. Since Wood was acting within the course and scope of his duties when he began to type his response, under Vehicle Code section 23123.5, he acted lawfully.”

The law does not prohibit officers from using an electronic wireless communications device in the performance of their duties, according to the letter. Furthermore, prosecutors said it was “reasonable” that Wood would have felt that an immediate response was necessary so that a Calabasas deputy wouldn’t unnecessarily respond to the high school.

To establish the crime of vehicular manslaughter, prosecutors would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Wood was criminally negligent. While GPS records show the deputy was driving three miles per hour over the speed limit prior to the collision, investigators could not determine his speed at the time of impact. And while Wood was texting shortly before the collision, there was no evidence he was texting or doing anything else that would have distracted him at the time of the collision, according to the letter.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Venture to guess what would have happened to a mundane?

What if an IT professional gets an email regarding an outage? Is it ok to text or email back with status?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

what's the definition of Justice? $#@! you that's what.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Venture to guess what would have happened to a mundane?

What if an IT professional gets an email regarding an outage? Is it ok to text or email back with status?
    Inattentive driving got a friend 10 years back in the 90's after he killed a cyclist on Maui.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Olin, a prominent entertainment attorney, was riding his bicycle in the 22400 block of Mulholland Highway when he was struck by L.A. County Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Wood’s patrol car in the bicycle lane on the afternoon of Dec. 8.
    Wow. I seriously thought of cops as the muscle for the legal system and attorneys were valued more than cops in this system. Maybe Olin wasn't as connected as he thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Wow. I seriously thought of cops as the muscle for the legal system and attorneys were valued more than cops in this system. Maybe Olin wasn't as connected as he thought.
    He was still a Mundane.

Perhaps a higher level Mundane, but a Mundane nonetheless.

That tin badge is, quite literally in 99 percent of cases, a get out of jail free card.

True. Usually when a cop does get in trouble I'm curious who he pissed off. Usually it turns out he was a good one who opened his mouth about another officer, called victim the N-word VS sir when assaulting, kidnapping or murdering the victim, or the cop bit the hand that fed him. In this case they would have to set the precedent that an officer can't text while going over the speed limit in a non emergency, and that ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    He was still a Mundane.

Perhaps a higher level Mundane, but a Mundane nonetheless.

That tin badge is, quite literally in 99 percent of cases, a get out of jail free card.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Color me surprised.

Is that color blue with a shade of Officer Go $#@! yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Color me surprised.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

i think id have to have some revenge on some people if that were my dead relative.

All attorneys aren't on team "Just-Us"......

Even the clerks in the DA's office are above kops in the pecking order...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    "It can wait" does not apply to cops, because its very important that their communications are sent quickly and promptly. It could even mean the difference between life and death, in some cases.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    "It can wait" does not apply to cops, because its very important that their communications are sent quickly and promptly. It could even mean the difference between life and death, in some cases.
    Obviously in this case.

Biking is dangerous. I respect those that do it and always give them a wide berth. But really, I don't ride anything smaller than a SUV. I value my life. Countryside, maybe, but not in the cities.

I know they are not supposed to be on sidewalks. But that is where I think they belong. If I am walking on a sidewalk, I don't care if a bicyclist wants to share it with me. Ring your $#@!ing bell, I'll move over.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Obviously in this case.
    He's joking...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    He's joking...
    I know. I can spot humor faster than a speeding/texting cop can spot a bicyclist.

I know. I can spot humor faster than a speeding cop can spot a bicyclist.
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    i think id have to have some revenge on some people if that were my dead relative.
    maybe in the form of a civil suit - negligence in official acts, depraved indifference, or something

http://definitions.uslegal.com/d/depraved-indifference/

No difference than a drunk driver, complete irresponsibility. Officer Immunity should be charged with minimum manslaughter as well as corruption charges against the RICO District Attorney.
    Since Wood was acting within the course and scope of his duties when he began to type his response, under Vehicle Code section 23123.5, he acted lawfully.”
    ANother law that is not only unjust, but violates other laws of discrimination for starters. I wonder if a civil wrongful death law suit can take action on the JUST-US mafioso hitman?
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    To establish the crime of vehicular manslaughter, prosecutors would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Wood was criminally negligent.
    Durp, durp, hello, anyone home down there in LA?

Motor Vehicles and Motorized Bicycles in Bicycle Lanes, CA VC21209:

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle in a bicycle lane established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207 except as follows:

(1) To park where parking is permitted.

(2) To enter or leave the roadway.

(3) To prepare for a turn within a distance of 200 feet from the intersection.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle in a bicycle lane established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207 except as follows:

ETA:

Since Wood was acting within the course and scope of his duties when he began to type his response, under Vehicle Code section 23123.5, he acted lawfully.”
    Also, this section, under subsection (d) ("A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a base fine of twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense and fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense.") merely exempts first-responders from the penalty for having violated the outlying section, negligence attributed from the misuse of an such wireless communications devices is an entirely separate and distinctive element--having nothing to do with this exemption. (For example, an emergency vehicle racing with lights and sirens for a bona fide emergency is still required to yield at stop signs and red lights, failure to do so does not exempt them from negligence should they T-bone cross-traffic with the right of way in the process.)
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Last edited by aGameOfThrones; 08-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Biking is dangerous. I respect those that do it and always give them a wide berth. But really, I don't ride anything smaller than a SUV. I value my life. Countryside, maybe, but not in the cities.

I know they are not supposed to be on sidewalks. But that is where I think they belong. If I am walking on a sidewalk, I don't care if a bicyclist wants to share it with me. Ring your $#@!ing bell, I'll move over.
    True. If the guy on the bike had been in an 18 wheeler, well, let's just say he'd have done a great service to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post

Exactly!!!

We can't prove he was negligent......................................... .................................................. Except for the fact that his car ended up in the marked off BICYCLE LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not called...Police text and drive lane...It's called the BICYCLE LANE.

Oh and just to make sure we don't forget Kelly Thomas...

"Milton Olin Jr. did this to himself" Amirte?