Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Judge decriminalizes polygamy in Utah

Judge decriminalizes polygamy in Utah

A judge has ruled that parts of Utah's law banning polygamy are unconstitutional, effectively decriminalizing the practice, in a victory for the family that appears in the reality TV show 'Sister Wives'.

Kody Brown, who stars in the TLC reality show with his four wives, filed a lawsuit against the state after leaving Utah fearing prosecution after the programme aired.

Now a federal judge has issued his final ruling in the case that strikes down parts of the state's anti-polygamy law.
    cont.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ygamy-ban.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I never really understood polygamy. Do they realize that the ratio of men vs. women in the world is 50/50? If everybody was a polygamist with 4 wives, then 3/4ths of the male population must be single right? Thus it can never catch on to the population at large, it is destined to exist forever in tiny little cultish enclaves.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    I never really understood polygamy. Do they realize that the ratio of men vs. women in the world is 50/50? If everybody was a polygamist with 4 wives, then 3/4ths of the male population must be single right? Thus it can never catch on to the population at large, it is destined to exist forever in tiny little cultish enclaves.

Re: mormon polygamy...

I think the logic is that 3/4 of the male population shouldn't breed because they lack faith in God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_bo...damentalism%29

But who's to say that polygamy is always one man with many wives... could be one woman with many husbands. One might consider female prostitution a form of matriarchal polygamy.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

One at a time is plenty for my ol' contrary ass....

Now to get the government completely out of the marriage business.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Likewise, one good one would be enough for me.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Exactly.

The gov has no business in marriage or what happens between consenting adults.
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Get government out of the welfare business and they're automatically out of the marriage business..

If there are no benefits to squabble over the the issue of marriage falls back to the Church where it belongs......

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Re:

But who's to say that polygamy is always one man with many wives... could be one woman with many husbands. One might consider female prostitution a form of matriarchal polygamy.
    The word, polygamy means: many marriages- not many wives.
    There is no spoon.

Get government out of the welfare business and they're automatically out of the marriage business..

If there are no benefits to squabble over the the issue of marriage falls back to the Church where it belongs......
    Actually, the marriage license originated as a racist ploy. It was to keep inter-racial marriages from happening. If more people understood THAT, I believe there would be a huge outcry.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Nice.
    While I agree that the legalization is good, polygamy is still immoral

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I thought you believed in the Bible?
    There is no spoon.

I never really understood polygamy. Do they realize that the ratio of men vs. women in the world is 50/50?
    Back when polygamy began with the Mormon church, most of the men had gone off to fight in the Mexican/American War and there were in fact too many single women.

The irony here is that for Utah to become a state, the church had to agree to ban polygamy because it was against federal law or something.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Re: mormon polygamy...

I think the logic is that 3/4 of the male population shouldn't breed because they lack faith in God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_bo...damentalism%29
    That doesn't make any sense, does that assume that more women have faith in God or that men with faithful wives should take on more wives with women who are unfaithful?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

That doesn't make any sense, does that assume that more women have faith in God or that men with faithful wives should take on more wives with women who are unfaithful?
    You're in that realm of "great unanswerable questions" my friend. Some would say the word "chattel" comes into the conversation.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I prefer two at a time. It's exquisite.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

I'm moving there. I need 2 wives

I always found it odd seeing those pro polygamy billboards driving up and down I-15. We used to joke about them in starting our own harem.

I hear the Kingstons(family tree) are a large polygamist clan that practically owns Davis County, UT.

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-28-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Back when polygamy began with the Mormon church, most of the men had gone off to fight in the Mexican/American War and there were in fact too many single women.

The irony here is that for Utah to become a state, the church had to agree to ban polygamy because it was against federal law or something.
    Bingo-

The Mormons are a conquered people that had to do or die.It wasn't just about statehood, it was also that all Mormons, who didn't comply, would be taken to jail.
    There is no spoon.

The Church doesn't need to have any say either.

Judge gives his opinion on a belief that is none of his damn business anyways, somehow this becomes law. Murica!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I thought you believed in the Bible?
    God's original design for marriage, as explained in Genesis 2:24, only allows for one wife.

Now, to be clear, I have no issue with the decision. Polygamy isn't aggressive and thus shouldn't be illegal. William Tell agrees with you that its not morally wrong, hence my comment.

Republicans actually made up the federal law so they could go after the Mormons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    God's original design for marriage, as explained in Genesis 2:24, only allows for one wife.

Now, to be clear, I have no issue with the decision. Polygamy isn't aggressive and thus shouldn't be illegal. William Tell agrees with you that its not morally wrong, hence my comment.
    Genesis 2:24= That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

It's a stretch to say that God only ever intended man only have one wife from that verse, especially considering God allowed the practice under the Law of Moses. Even if you try and argue that God prefers monogamy nothing in the Bible says that polygamy is immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Bingo-

The Mormons are a conquered people that had to do or die.It wasn't just about statehood, it was also that all Mormons, who didn't comply, would be taken to jail.
    And their assets (money, property, land, etc.) seized, their families broken, and their society forcibly shattered. The Mormons resisted for a long while even in the face of all that. The history of Mormon polygamy is a perfect example of why you don't want government involved in marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    I always found it odd seeing those pro polygamy billboards driving up and down I-15. We used to joke about them in starting our own harem.

I hear the Kingstons(family tree) are a large polygamist clan that practically owns Davis County, UT.

To add a little clarity to that quote, Brigham Young said the following in the same paragraph as the quote in the picture but before the quote in the picture.

"It may be hard for many, and especially for the ladies, yet it is no harder for them than it is for the gentlemen. It is the word of the Lord, and I wish to say to you, and all the world, that if you desire with all your hearts to obtain the blessings which Abraham obtained, you will be polygamists at least in your faith, or you will come short of enjoying the salvation and the glory which Abraham has obtained."

Mormons believed God commanded the practice of polygamy, to resist it was to disobey His commands. That meant even if you did not actively practice it, you had to accept it as a principle of faith or rebel against God. And no one who rebels against God can expect celestial glory.

They realize it all right. The men kick all the boys out of the church when they become teenagers so they can take all the women as wives. They end up out on their own at 14 or 15 not able to contact their family.

Still, consenting adults can marry as many as they please for all I care, not my concern.

Now we need to get rid of the "marriage license". Who the hell do they think they are "licensing" us anyway? Why do people put up with asking permission to do what is their right??
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

So the Patriarchs were living in sin, and king David and others? I wonder why God and his prophets never told them to repent?
    I guess the Lord is OK with Immoral behavior?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast