Thread: The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?

The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?

The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?

Nina Teicholz
    Tuesday 26 August 2014

When Ronald M Krauss decided, in 2000, to review all the evidence purporting to show that saturated fats cause heart disease, he knew that he was putting his professional career at risk. Krauss is one of the top nutrition experts in the United States, director of atherosclerosis research at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute and adjunct professor of nutritional studies at the University of San Francisco at Berkley. But challenging one of his field’s most sacrosanct beliefs – that the fats in meat, cheese and butter are bad for health – was a near-heretical act.

A few years earlier, when a colleague of Krauss’s had merely tried to speak about his positive findings regarding the high-fat Atkins diet, he was met with jeers and derision. One member of the audience yelled “I am absolutely disgusted that the [government] would waste my money on a study on the Atkins diet” – to the applause of many.

Challenging any of the conventional wisdom on dietary fat has long been a form of professional suicide for nutrition experts. And saturated fats, especially, are the third rail. But Krauss persevered and concluded in 2010, after reviewing all the scientific literature, that saturated fats could not be said to cause heart disease. In March, another group of scientists, including faculty from Cambridge and Harvard, came to the same conclusion after conducting a similar “meta-analysis”. These were stunning results. It seemed that saturated fat, our principal dietary culprit for decades, had been unfairly convicted.

Yet the truth is there never has been solid evidence that these fats cause disease. We only believe this to be true because nutrition policy was derailed over the past half-century by personal ambition, bad science, politics, and bias.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup. Fat is the best fuel. And saturated fat is the best fat. I am at this very moment whipping a tablespoon of grass-fed butter into my cup of fresh-ground coffee. Life is good.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I wish beer was made of animal fat/protein instead of carb based barley/grain.

It's the only wheat product I consume regularly. I dont buy bread, pasta etc.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    I wish beer was made of animal fat/protein instead of carb based barley/grain.

It's the only wheat product I consume regularly. I dont buy bread, pasta etc.
    I concur. It was a sad day when I sold all my brewing equipment.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I still haven't tried that yet, Acala.

I read the article. Very interesting. I'm not sure I agree with all of it though. I learned in my early adulthood, while cooking, that you can't pour grease down the sink (even with hot, soapy water), because eventually, it coats the pipes and clogs them. It seems to me the same can be said for eating greasy foods, like bacon, and fried chicken, or hamburgers, etc.

But, as with just about everything else, if you do so in moderation, I don't see how it can damage you.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

The sink does not have a perpetual mechanism for breaking down the chemical links that hold the molecules together to form the grease.

By the time your gut is done with the grease/fat - it's not grease at all. Let alone once it's further broken down in the intestines to such a level that it can be absorbed into the blood stream (and subsequently burned like fuel).

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post

I read the article. Very interesting. I'm not sure I agree with all of it though. I learned in my early adulthood, while cooking, that you can't pour grease down the sink (even with hot, soapy water), because eventually, it coats the pipes and clogs them. It seems to me the same can be said for eating greasy foods, like bacon, and fried chicken, or hamburgers, etc.

But, as with just about everything else, if you do so in moderation, I don't see how it can damage you.

The sink does not have a perpetual mechanism for breaking down the chemical links that hold the molecules together to form the grease.

By the time your gut is done with the grease/fat - it's not grease at all. Let alone once it's further broken down in the intestines to such a level that it can be absorbed into the blood stream (and subsequently burned like fuel).
    Then how do you explain the numerous morbidly obese people whose diets consist mainly of high fat content?

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Stomach acid is so much better than Drano. Good saturated fat: Coconut oil, Ghee, Palm oil and grass-fed cow butter.

Saturated Fat: The Forbidden Food You Should Never Stop Eating
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...d-for-you.aspx
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The morbidly obese folks usually engorge themselves with a plethora of "crap". Most of all carbs. The really, really trash types of carbs. The consistent gluttonous engorging and a ton of carbs are far and away the 2 most important reasons for their obesity.

Just as a last thought to this post - caloric surplus, regardless of what the calories are, will result in adding weight. The obese are shovelling in food and sugar drink in quantities that are just...shocking.

Then how do you explain the numerous morbidly obese people whose diets consist mainly of high fat content?

There are two people in my family (my dad and my brother) whose diets consist almost entirely of fast food. One has diabetes and one has Crohn's disease. And both are 40-50 pounds over weight.

I'm just not convinced that a high fat diet does not cause damage. However, I do believe that moderation where fat consumption is concerned, won't hurt you.

First of all, Crohn's is a genetic disorder. It's not diet related (flare ups are, but the underlying condition is not).

My mother has Crohn's.

2nd... fast food diets are very high in carbs and low quality table salt. My above post is very much relevant to your 2 family members (albeit 40-50 lbs is not morbidly obese so taper down the quantities I was elluding too).

There are two people in my family (my dad and my brother) whose diets consist almost entirely of fast food. One has diabetes and one has Crohn's disease. And both are 40-50 pounds over weight.

I'm just not convinced that a high fat diet does not cause damage. However, I do believe that moderation where fat consumption is concerned, won't hurt you.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply my brother and dad were morbidly obese. I should have qualified that. As far as genetics go with Crohn's, the exact cause is unknown and genetics is a hypothesis, not a fact. These two eat hamburgers, French fries, and burritos as their main consumption of food. One is hooked on diet soda(Crohn's sufferer) , the other on unsweetened iced tea. We've all tried to get them to change their eating habits, but they won't.

I remain unconvinced that a diet which consists of mostly of fat, is not damaging.

The studies did not say that fats were necessarily healthy (especially when consumed in large amounts but we do need some fats in our diet- too much is still probably bad for you) only that as far as heart disease is concerned, saturated fats were NO WORSE than non- saturated fats.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...-disease-link/

But the new research, published on Monday in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, did not find that people who ate higher levels of saturated fat had more heart disease than those who ate less. Nor did it find less disease in those eating higher amounts of unsaturated fat, including monounsaturated fat like olive oil or polyunsaturated fat like corn oil.

“My take on this would be that it’s not saturated fat that we should worry about” in our diets, said Dr. Rajiv Chowdhury, the lead author of the new study and a cardiovascular epidemiologist in the department of public health and primary care at Cambridge University.

But Dr. Frank Hu, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, said the findings should not be taken as “a green light” to eat more steak, butter and other foods rich in saturated fat. He said that looking at individual fats and other nutrient groups in isolation could be misleading, because when people cut down on fats they tend to eat more bread, cold cereal and other refined carbohydrates that can also be bad for cardiovascular health.

I wouldnt go MOSTLY fat, that's a bit much .

A lot of fat, a lot of protein, a lot of veggies.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply my brother and dad were morbidly obese. I should have qualified that. As far as genetics go with Crohn's, the exact cause is unknown and genetics is a hypothesis, not a fact. These two eat hamburgers, French fries, and burritos as their main consumption of food. One is hooked on diet soda(Crohn's sufferer) , the other on unsweetened iced tea. We've all tried to get them to change their eating habits, but they won't.

I remain unconvinced that a diet which consists of mostly of fat, is not damaging.

I never eat anything fat free or reduced fat and I only have heart problems when I accidentally get something with aspartame in it.

Their diet actually consists of mainly high carb content.

Try eating less than 50g of carbs one day and tell me one of those morbidly obese people you know would be ok missing out on their soda (diet soda is worse, no carbs, but your body still thinks it is carbs), mashed potatoes, chips, tortillas, french fries, candy, ice cream, bbq ribs, fried chicken, hamburger w/ bun, etc..

(hint: I occasionally make bbq sauce w/ honey, I don't make it super sweet and don't have starchy side dishes)
    Last edited by dannno; 08-28-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldnt go MOSTLY fat, that's a bit much .

A lot of fat, a lot of protein, a lot of veggies.
    Agreed. Now, if I could only convince my brother and dad.

Pay for a happy ending massage for every 5 pounds they can keep off for 2 weeks or more. Each 5 lbs must be 5 pounds less than the last 5 lbs (no yo-yo!).

It might just work

Agreed. Now, if I could only convince my brother and dad.

Pay for a happy ending massage for every 5 pounds they can keep off for 2 weeks or more. Each 5 lbs must be 5 pounds less than the last 5 lbs (no yo-yo!).

It might just work
    They're both married. LOL. That won't fly.

Ah but we're talking about good saturated fat like; coconut oil, palm oil, ghee and grass-fed butter and beef.

Know Your Fats
    http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I never eat anything fat free or reduced fat and I only have heart problems when I accidentally get something with aspartame in it.
    Same here. Anything dosed with MSG I wind up with heart palpitations.

Also, you need the good fats for your brain. Cholesterol also is need to process Vitamin D.