Thread: Should Rand Paul announce early?

Should Rand Paul announce early?

I've been thinking...

Could Rand get a huge bump is he went ahead and announced his intention to seek the nomination early? By early i mean sometime before the new year?

He has generally said he will wait to announce, but everyone has pretty much accepted the fact he is going to run. So my assumption is that he could benefit from being the first to announce for a couple reasons.

The first reason is he could get a big bump in media attention, his title would officially change from "he who appears likely to run" to "presidential candidate." I know this bump will be short lived as others jump in, but Rand would appear to be the leader.

Second he could use that media bump to kick up fundraising quite a bit.

Finally, the psychological effect it could have on people could greatly benefit him. Being the first to throw your hat in the ring is not like being the first to show up to a house party. Most people are looking for a leader. Being that Rand has given a time table for announcing, he is opening the door for someone else to announce first and steal that thunder. He needs to make a serious BOOM when he announces.

All in all Rand has been campaigning as you would expect someone who is intending to run for president, but this is something that could really open up a lead and show the public that Rand is for real.

Thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the sooner he announces the sooner the media will start putting him down. You must remember the powerful republican establishment does not want him. I think he should wait as long as possible.

No, he won't gain any more support by announcing early. He's practically campaigning already anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I think he should wait as long as possible.
    Indeed, I'd think on waiting until after every other big name announces, keep playing coy, hit from the sidelines, build up the anticipation.

I've no opinion whatsoever, and I'm confident that whatever decision Rand and his family make, and the timing of that decision, will be right both for them as a family and for the movement politically. He's one hell of a politician. He's got a better sense of timing than anyone else in Washington. I've got total confidence in him to do the right thing at the right time. And my confidence is not something easily won -- over his entire tenure, he's made one correct, ballsy, move after another. Until he starts making some blatant missteps, I'll trust his judgement.

He's already got everyone expecting him to run. His announcement will be a formality and therefore he benefits from not being the first person to announce. Spread out the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    I've no opinion whatsoever, and I'm confident that whatever decision Rand and his family make, and the timing of that decision, will be right both for them as a family and for the movement politically. He's one hell of a politician. He's got a better sense of timing than anyone else in Washington. I've got total confidence in him to do the right thing at the right time. And my confidence is not something easily won -- over his entire tenure, he's made one correct, ballsy, move after another. Until he starts making some blatant missteps, I'll trust his judgement.
    I'm the last person who will say that Rand should do one thing or another, as I trust his judgement as well. I was just wondering what people here thought about the benefits of announcing early.

Some people are more familiar with politics than I am...

I think he should announce earlier rather than later, but it might also be good to wait for an event where it would be particularly advaantageous
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think the party wants anyone to make announcements until after the midterms are over, so those running won't be upstaged.

Interesting... There is a rule in marketing "First is always better".

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

He should announce late. Just to see how the other idiots are. If he's attacked for so long, it will hurt us

My money is that he announces at CPAC 2015. CPAC after all his home field for us now.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    My money is that he announces at CPAC 2015. CPAC after all his home field for us now.
    I agree - CPAC would be a great launching point. CPAC 2015 will be held Feb 26-28, which is still very early but not unreasonably early. I am sure other candidates might be thinking of doing the same, but it wouldn't be a smart idea for them because Ron/Rand own CPAC and anyone else would be overshadowed.

I like the idea of an early-ish announcement though because it falls right in line with the narrative that Rand takes initiative and leads the way on just about everything. Everyone else in the GOP is always late to the party, whether it's on the issues like privacy, police/prison reform and other minority outreach, non-interventionism, or whether it's running for president.
    Last edited by Crashland; 08-28-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

A november 5th announcement would be good if you wanted to jump start fundraising in a big way.

Big date for his fathers supporters, day after the elections, not been done before, draws the line in the sand.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    I agree - CPAC would be a great launching point. CPAC 2015 will be held Feb 26-28, which is still very early but not unreasonably early. I am sure other candidates might be thinking of doing the same, but it wouldn't be a smart idea for them because Ron/Rand own CPAC and anyone else would be overshadowed.

I like the idea of an early-ish announcement though because it falls right in line with the narrative that Rand takes initiative and leads the way on just about everything. Everyone else in the GOP is always late to the party, whether it's on the issues like privacy, police/prison reform and other minority outreach, non-interventionism, or whether it's running for president.
    Do you remember all the articles on Rand aafter CPAC this year? I now have a date to look forward too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like the idea. He would set himself up as the inevitable choice.

Whenever someone thinks of a presidential candidate they'll think of him. All press is good press, and in the ensuing months with no one else announcing his name would get mentioned an enormous number of times, giving him great early name recognition. When all those other guys announce close together, people will be forgetting who they all are, and all of them will have to be compared to Rand Paul.

I think anything he can do to distinguish himself from the rest is the thing to do. Don't be a member of the pack, be unique.

My idea, is to announce at Iowa State Bank at the foot of the Iowa "Gold Dome" Capitol building.

I'm calling the President of Iowa State Bank next week and tell him he should restart his tax-free HSA accounts for bank customers, which will be private labeled by HSA Bank, who hold's 10% of the $23 billion currently in HSAs nationally, because Rand Paul wants to de-link tax-free HSAs and health insurance so everybody will get a tax-free HSA in the future. After all, the center-piece of Republican healthcare reform has been tax-free HSAs for the last 20 year. Iowa would go crazy for Rand. Regardless if Rand announces at Iowa State Bank or not Iowa State Bank should restart their tax-free HSA program powered by HSA Bank.

I think Rand should have a quiet Christmas because being President for 8 years is a long time of being in the limelight. Rand should relax before the race. and Presidency. This is just my idea to focus America's attention on TAX FREEDOM and Republican Solutions.

If he announces at CPAC, that would be a hell of a thing to do just to win the straw poll.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    If he announces at CPAC, that would be a hell of a thing to do just to win the straw poll.
    He's going win the straw poll anyway. But imagine if he gets over 50%? lol

Life, Liberty, Logic

I think Rand should be ready to announce an exploratory committee by CPAC 2015, but not formally throw his hat in by that date. That would cover him both ways---he would get the news byte, and strong momentum from an early announcement, without a formal commitment being made. As the other candidates fully commit by launching their campaigns, Rand will no doubt be asked to comment, thus getting his campaign points in, and avoiding getting punished over early mistakes before he finally commits to running.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    I think Rand should be ready to announce an exploratory committee by CPAC 2015, but not formally throw his hat in by that date. That would cover him both ways---he would get the news byte, and strong momentum from an early announcement, without a formal commitment being made. As the other candidates fully commit by launching their campaigns, Rand will no doubt be asked to comment, thus getting his campaign points in, and avoiding getting punished over early mistakes before he finally commits to running.
    Screw that, Rand doesn't need to jerk us around with fundraising gimmicks like that. If he intends to run, he should say it straight up. I'd love it if he had a press conference with media from all over the country, looked straight at the camera and said, "I'm running for president, and I'm going to win."

announce early, and pick a VP. all the others would then be forced to pick their VP

Doesn't matter. Everyone knows he will. I hope he's practicing for the debates.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Indeed, I'd think on waiting until after every other big name announces, keep playing coy, hit from the sidelines, build up the anticipation.
    I think announcing quite late would be a great idea.