Thread: Fedbook now enforcing Photo ID

Fedbook now enforcing Photo ID

I can't even make an account now without them wanting to verify my identity by me scanning my state ID. Lost access to my accounts I had because of this.
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also on their mobile app, they split out the chat functionality to a new app called fedbook messenger:

http://facecrooks.com/Internet-Safet...-Service.html/

Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
    Allows the app to read you phone’s call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
    Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.
    Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.

Most free apps require users to agree to permissions that can seem pretty drastic, but they do so in order to gather data for advertising. However, some of the permissions for Facebook’s new app have taken that concept to a creepy (and privacy-violating) new level.

Here is the other side of the story:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/27/can-th...phone-4846893/
    Last edited by Mani; 08-28-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Wow it is insane that anyone would agree to that.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I can't even make an account now without them wanting to verify my identity by me scanning my state ID. Lost access to my accounts I had because of this.

There are a zillion fake FB accounts, are you saying they don't allow that anymore?

Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.
    Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
    You have got to be kidding me.I have never done Facebook so I'm completely ignorant here but come on,is this for real?A billion people put up with this?
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    You have got to be kidding me.I have never done Facebook so I'm completely ignorant here but come on,is this for real?A billion people put up with this?

I read a couple of articles that contrasting what the initial one posted. It asks for permission to use the camera functionality and the microphone functionality. I'm not sure it actually can record without your permission......

HOWEVER, we do know for a FACT from Snowden's last interview that people who are spying on you can DEFINITELY use the phone even when the phone is switched off.

Anyway..we do call it fedbook for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    There are a zillion fake FB accounts, are you saying they don't allow that anymore?
    I don't know what % they are enforcing this on right now. Those accounts can continue until for whatever reason they are made to verify their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    A herd of sheep will outnumber a single wolf, yet, they will all also blindly obey a single herder. There is a reason people that are still asleep are called "sheeple".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    A herd of sheep will outnumber a single wolf, yet, they will all also blindly obey a single herder. There is a reason people that are still asleep are called "sheeple".

Agreed, They will ignore any privacy concerns as long as they can continue dumping water on their heads and take selfies.

Not that I'm sticking up for Facebook, but permissions like that are pretty common in the mobile app world. If I write an app that would allow me to make calls within the app, or use Siri, or open the camera, all those permissions would need to be agreed to. An app like Skype would need similar permissions. They exist so malicious programmers can't sneak code into apps that would arbitrarily access your camera, photos, or other personal information when you weren't looking. In many instances you can toggle these permissions on and off if, say, you were ok with an app opening the camera but not accessing your contacts.

On the plus side, it's good that people are finally waking up about privacy. Definitely bad PR for Facebook.

I don't know what % they are enforcing this on right now. Those accounts can continue until for whatever reason they are made to verify their identity.
    I have a fake account. Not my name and no pics. They have never asked me to provide ID.
    The only thing they ever ask me is if I know people.

If I were Facebook, I'd probably require you send me a photo ID, too. You need to get your skills up.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I have a fake account. Not my name and no pics. They have never asked me to provide ID.
    The only thing they ever ask me is if I know people.
    They dont care about your name, they care about your IP and tying your acct to every device you use to access Fedbook, then they care about who you know, and what information you consume. On the list of their concerns, a persons name is close to the bottom of the list because that is just too easy for them to find out.

---

The relationship between those who are constantly watched and tracked, and those who watch and track them, is the relationship between masters and slaves.

- Chris Hedges
    Last edited by DamianTV; 08-28-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

On the list of their concerns, a persons name is close to the bottom of the list because that is just too easy for them to find out.

---
    Add to the list an individual personality profile created by asking you to take stupid quizzes to find out such enlightening information as which Star Trek character you most resemble. By taking those multiple choice quizzes, you are basically saying to an advertiser, "Here! THIS is how you should get me to buy stuff!" More disturbing, it is also how the NSA and other government agencies could break you if you were ever deemed to be a problem to them.

But hey, I need to know who my inner teen idol is!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I have an account on Fedbook and have pretty much nothing about me on there except for my name and the people I have friended. No photos, no picture of me as an avatar, no information on where I went to school...

If they're doing this for new accounts I'm not aware, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

They dont care about your name, they care about your IP and tying your acct to every device you use to access Fedbook, then they care about who you know, and what information you consume. On the list of their concerns, a persons name is close to the bottom of the list because that is just too easy for them to find out.

---

lol they don't care about your IP. Most people are on mobile devices, and there are wifi hotspots everywhere.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ...no

They do care! (about that IP/MAC/Phone number)

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    ...no

They do care! (about that IP/MAC/Phone number)
    You know, I guess you're right in terms of linking their users to specific IP addresses.

But generally speaking, IPs are hard to completely tie to an individual person.

However, thinking about it, I can see how it would be useful to Facebook. They probably are interested in the fact that Jack usually connects to FB from 0.0.0.0.0 at night from his PC, but is on the ATT network through most of the day, connects to subways wi-fi every day for lunch, but in the evenings is connected to a network that is frequently used by Jill from her ipad.

Yeah, I never really put much thought into it, but you're right.
    Last edited by pessimist; 08-31-2014 at 07:27 PM.

They aren't interested in your IP by itself; they are doing predictive analysis, where your IP is just 1 classifier they use. There are people who do nothing but make FB accounts all day long. Sometimes they will develop them a bit, let them age and sell them. People who do this have to change up their procedures to avoid getting hit up for photo ID. If you are using an open proxy to sign up for FB accounts, they are probably going to detect this and ask for photo ID. Some VPN services are also on the list. Ideally, you should use an IP that you are relatively sure hasn't been used as a proxy in the past, and the DNS resolves back to an ISP.

If they are getting your MAC address, somewhere along the way you gave them way too many permissions. The MAC is on a completely different layer than the IP.

FarceBook.

And people by the millions, comply.

For those of you who do not (or have anyone on your network) who uses facebook just block it all together.

I don't know what firmware you folks use but I think most router settings have an option to block websites.

I use dd-wrt and block (reroute to localhost) a bunch of sites via dnsmasq. If you're using dd-wrt or tomato this will solve your facebook problems.

address=/facebook.com/127.0.0.1
    address=/facebook.net/127.0.0.1

I have it blocked from my phone via a hosts file, but can't block it entirely from my network because of my girlfriend.