Thread: Drugging Children in California’s Foster Care System

Drugging Children in California’s Foster Care System

http://www.dailynews.com/health/2014...ky-medications

Drugging our kids: Children in California’s foster care system are prescribed risky medications

By Karen de Sá, Bay Area News Group, kdesa@mercurynews.com
    Posted: 08/23/14, 7:40 PM PDT | Updated: 3 days ago

For more coverage, visit http://webspecial.mercurynews.com/druggedkids/.

They are wrenched from abusive homes, uprooted again and again, often with their life’s belongings stuffed into a trash bag.

Abandoned and alone, they are among California’s most powerless children. But instead of providing a stable home and caring family, the state’s foster care system gives them a pill.

With alarming frequency, foster and health care providers are turning to a risky but convenient remedy to control the behavior of thousands of troubled kids: numbing them with psychiatric drugs that are untested on and often not approved for children.

An investigation by this newspaper found that nearly 1 out of every 4 adolescents in California’s foster care system is receiving these drugs — 3 times the rate for all adolescents nationwide. Over the last decade, almost 15 percent of the state’s foster children of all ages were prescribed the medications, known as psychotropics, part of a national treatment trend that is only beginning to receive broad scrutiny.

“We’re experimenting on our children,” said Los Angeles County Judge Michael Nash, who presides over the nation’s largest juvenile court.

A year of interviews with foster youth, caregivers, doctors, researchers and legal advocates uncovered how the largest foster care system in the U.S. has grown dependent on quick-fix, taxpayer-funded, big-profit pharmaceuticals — and how the state has done little to stop it.

Continued

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Government, destroying families and destroying lives.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    That has always been the agenda. Easier to destroy a country that way.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    That has always been the agenda. Easier to destroy a country that way.
    Ya gotta break a few eggs to make a omelet.....
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Maybe one day I'll post a video of my sister.

Not that you need told, but maybe someone reading this is considering it: don't put your children on drugs.

Side effects are real and are sometimes irreversible.

I hear people casually talking about drugging their kids (routinely) and it makes me sick to my stomach. Not simply foster kids. I don't think people could really imagine the horror that can result.

It's evil.

85 billion a year. I pray there is a hell.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump