Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Poll: Romney at 35%; No Other Candidate In Double-Digits

Thumbs down Iowa Poll: Romney at 35%; No Other Candidate In Double-Digits

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ll-110392.html

Quote Originally Posted by Politico
    The day after Mitt Romney opened the door to another possible presidential run, a new poll shows he has a huge lead among likely 2016 Iowa Republican caucus voters.

According to a USA Today/Suffolk University poll released Wednesday, 35 percent of likely GOP caucus voters would vote for the 2012 GOP nominee in 2016. When Romney’s name was added to the pool, no other candidate received double-digit votes.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Willard M. Romney has gone from working for the Obama campaign, to working for Hillary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I guess it's still his turn.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

He won't run.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Who the hell are the 5 Rand Paul supporters that would go to Romney instead? WTF?
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

The thing about this poll (and it was done in other states too), when the questions are asked like that, Mitt is always going to get a big chunk of the vote this early on. No one has even officially launched a campaign yet, while a lot of those polled saw Mitt for years in a primary campaign, and months in a general election campaign, and voted for him in November.

When there are official 2016 candidates, that number will start to go down.

In these polls, Rand does all right as a 2nd choice.

I could also write an article "65% polled will definitely not vote for Mitt".
    Last edited by CPUd; 08-27-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The thing about this poll (and it was done in other states too), when the questions are asked like that, Mitt is always going to get a big chunk of the vote this early on. No one has even officially launched a campaign yet, while a lot of those polled saw Mitt for years in a primary campaign, and months in a general election campaign, and voted for him in November.
    Agreed. The thing I'm worried about is when Romney isn't an option Rand is in 5th place at 7%.

Maybe the poll is an outlier. I'm sure things will turn around!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    206 is a tiny sample size, but it's still not a very good showing for Rand.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Very hopeful interpretation by you.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Very hopeful interpretation by you.
    He wouldn't run against his friend Paul Ryan and he made it clear he won't run.

Romney is running and the 2016 GOP presidential nomination will come down to Rand or Romney. That said, this is a push poll for Romney, we need to see a real poll with at least 500 primary voters polled and all the candidate presented equally in the first run-at-it. The poll here basically tells us Romney's ceiling. Once he runs and his warts repeated, he will gradually drop 5% to 10% from his peak.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    Romney is running and the 2016 GOP presidential nomination will come down to Rand or Romney. That said, this is a push poll for Romney, we need to see a real poll with at least 500 primary voters polled and all the candidate presented equally in the first run-at-it. The poll here basically tells us Romney's ceiling. Once he runs and his warts repeated, he will gradually drop 5% to 10% from his peak.
    So you're saying there's a chance?

If Mitt is the nominee, Rand will lose. Rand should definitely make sure our voice is heard like Taft did when Eisenhower won

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    If Mitt is the nominee, Rand will lose. Rand should definitely make sure our voice is heard like Taft did when Eisenhower won
    He said he isn't running and he wouldn't because he wants to give his friend Paul Ryan a chance.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Agreed. The thing I'm worried about is when Romney isn't an option Rand is in 5th place at 7%.

Maybe the poll is an outlier. I'm sure things will turn around!
    17% undecided is a really big number with 12 names to choose from. Iowa is going to be tough to win outright, but these numbers will change dramatically when they are polling official candidates.

Democracy... Let's use bombs to spread it throughout the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    So you're saying there's a chance?
    None of the other establishment candidates can beat Rand. Christie was supposed to be the choice, but his staff is about to be indicted. 2nd choice Bush has been a dud. Rubio is also a dud. Ryan is pretty weak. Walker might not even be establishment and he is fighting for his life in Wisconsin.

Then there are the dark horse establishment candidates like Kasich who is going nowhere and Portman who will not even start going nowhere. Perry is way too erratic for the establishment and he would have to get his charges dropped anyway and they may drag out.

It will be Romney vs. Rand. Get ready. I say Rand wins it.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    The WMUR poll last month had him at 39%:

Romney simply will not run, just as Ron would not run 3rd Party in 12. Romney has admitted to being a flawed candidate. He keeps saying he will not run.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

When Romney’s name was added to the pool
    That's a bull$#@! poll; it forms a leading question, which implies a winner.

Last edited by presence; 08-27-2014 at 08:28 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Romney simply will not run, just as Ron would not run 3rd Party in 12. Romney has admitted to being a flawed candidate. He keeps saying he will not run.
    The 2012 run I think was tougher on his wife's health than they were letting on.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    are they pranking us or something?? great way to depress a ton of people.. oh wow.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The 2012 run I think was tougher on his wife's health than they were letting on.
    Doubtless, and women have a hard time seeing their husbands dragged through the dirt. And losing, it is not easy on a marriage. And he would lose again anyway.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Good time for everyone to refresh themselves as to how Romney's dad f-ed over Goldwater.

Maybe Rand can have his own little "strategic alliance" with Romney. The Paul 2012 campaign was actually pretty good at that. I wonder cabinet position or federal office he'll sell-out for and I wonder which non-Mitt candidate he'd go after after he loses Iowa?

So where is all this Romney "lovel" coming from? Here's my suspicions:
    1). Jeb Bush isn't going to run. No claim on loyalty from Bush Family to the big money men
    2). Potential "unity" candidates like Chris Christie, Rick Perry and Scott Walker are too deeply flawed to win a general election.
    4). Rubio too unacceptable to party base, nomination would be worthless.
    5). Losing GOP vice-presidential candidates usually don't win their party's nomination (Sorry Paul Ryan)
    3). Fear that an "unacceptable" candidate wins GOP nomination this time around (Paul, Huckabee, Santorum, Carson) because good chunk of primary electorate more radicalized than before.

So they're calling up Mitt and saying "Hey, even William Bryan ran three times. You can too!"

To sum it up: An intellectually bankrupt party nominates an intellectually bankrupt person. Makes sense I guess.

"Rand should definitely make sure our voice is heard like Taft did when Eisenhower won"

Yeah that sure happened in Tampa didn't it? Hey all you Ron Paul delegates in 2012, did Mitt hear your voice or did he kick your delegation out of the convention hall?

Come on people, this poll is BS.. I know some will say all you're just belly aching, but seriously think of it like this. Ron literally came within a mere few thousand votes of winning the caucus outright the last election and some even felt like he was robbed of that. And yes that was against Mr. Romney. So with that said, we all know that Ron's organization and grassroots is still for the most part intact. Even if you want to use the argument that well not all of Ron's hardcore supporters are as happy with Rand as they were Ron then fine, but my question would be then just who the hell else are they going to vote for? None on that list that's for sure, Cruz included. Now factor in the fact that Rand has certainly expanded on Ron's base. To what extent we can't say just yet, but obviously from all the other polls Rand is doing 100 fold better than Ron did at any point in the last two races. So with that said, in my mind this poll is absolute BS and is evidence that the establishment must be starting very early in trying to derail Rand and disperse support to any and all other candidates whether Romney runs or not. That to me is the goal here. Splinter Rand's support using all methods possible. Even using a push/fake poll as they did with Santorum's "Surge" to create an alternate public perception. They're very good at this and should and must be expected. However the true hardcore supporters must not in no way be fazed by BS polls like this because that is their intent hoping to pour cold water onto Rand's/Ron's base. If they can succeed at cooling the hardcore support then they win, if not then they know it's going the distance with Rand unlike Ron having the stamina to take it 15 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast