Thread: Is trigger-happy comedy Let's Be Cops the worst-timed movie ever?

Is trigger-happy comedy Let's Be Cops the worst-timed movie ever?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/shor...olice-ferguson
    Is trigger-happy comedy Let's Be Cops the worst-timed movie ever?

Released just days after the shooting of the unarmed teenager Michael Brown by US police, this film about dunce buddies pretending to be officers for fun feels out of touch

Backfiring … Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr in Let's Be Cops. Photograph: Frank Masi/AP/20th Century Fox

The new comedy Let's Be Cops, in which two dunces exploit the power that comes from wearing police uniforms, includes numerous uncomfortable moments: the bit when one of the heroes does a comedy Asian-American accent, say, or when his girlfriend assumes he is gay because his wrist is limp. When he humiliates a group of suspected criminals by making them perform pelvic thrusts, it's all a shade too Abu Ghraib for comfort. But it's no fault of the film-makers that their movie is opening at a time when the reflex response to the words Let's Be Cops is: "Let's not."

The unarmed African-American teenager Michael Brown was shot dead by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, on 9 August. Though this has nothing to do with Let's Be Cops, some scenes in the film can't help but provoke a shudder: the dumb duo (New Girl's Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr) gawping excitedly at the arsenal of weapons now available to them, or spooking fellow diners when they brandish their guns in a pretend mealtime standoff. When one fake cop spies a gang of crooks and announces, "Those are the bad guys," the distinction is almost touching in its quaintness. One wonders how that line went down inside the many cinemas in Ferguson where the movie began playing only four days after Brown's death.

Let's Be Cops is a contender for the title of Most Unfortunately Timed Movie Release, but there are others. The Watch, about bumbling neighbourhood-watch patrol men, arrived shortly after the shooting of another black youth, Trayvon Martin, in 2012, and was publicised by a trailer in which Jonah Hill pretended to gun down teens. Martin's killer was George Zimmerman, who happened to be … a neighbourhood-watch coordinator. Recently, the Australian disaster movie Deep Water had its release postponed due to superficial similarities with the case of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

The Good Son, scripted by Ian McEwan, never received a UK cinema release because its tale of a malevolent child (played by Macaulay Culkin) was considered too redolent of the murder of James Bulger. Ben Affleck's thriller Gone Baby Gone was shelved in the UK for a year due to its echoes of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

The destruction of the World Trade Centre inevitably had ramifications for any movies featuring terrorist plots on US soil (Collateral Damage, Bad Company and Big Trouble among them). The case of Let's Be Cops, though, is slightly different. It doesn't need to be pulled from screens or sent straight to Netflix without passing Go. A more equitable solution, not only for cinema but society in general, would simply be for the police to refrain at their earliest convenience from killing innocent people.

Let's Be Cops is on release in the US and UK now.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is totally different from a thug like Michael Brown. Big Bad Mike is a hood rat with a long criminal history. He tried to grab a cop's gun. He pummeled the officer, breaking bones in his face. Brown took off, but then came back to taunt the officer. Brown bull rushed the officer, so Brown had to be put down like the dog that he is. The officer never fired at a fleeing Brown because there were no bullets in Brown's back.

I will see this movie and laugh with joyful gaiety. Pass the popcorn, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

But it's no fault of the film-makers that their movie is opening at a time when the reflex response to the words Let's Be Cops is: "Let's not."
    Um... I'm not sure where this author is living, but where I am, it seems like that's what all the kids want to be. Hell, it's like the default answer to the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question when the kid doesn't really know.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Um... I'm not sure where this author is living, but where I am, it seems like that's what all the kids want to be. Hell, it's like the default answer to the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question when the kid doesn't really know.
    That's really unfortunate.

Perhaps the writer of the article is purposely using that as a way to change public opinion....

What else are you gonna be?

Not like there are a whole lot of opportunities out there for young men.

A lot of young people (especially young men) have a desire to belong to something that will boost their self-image and give them a sense of belonging. That's why many of them join street gangs, and the armed forces.

The police are the biggest, baddest street gang out there, so naturally it's going to attract the ones who are looking for good pay and bennies to go along with the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What else are you gonna be?

Not like there are a whole lot of opportunities out there for young men.
    Pick up cans.

Beg change.

They couldn't pay me enough to impede and/or ruin the lives of those trying to make ends meet. Ticketing single moms and $#@!. Those that have the stomach for all that should be ashamed. No matter the age.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think they just don't know what they want to do and "cop" seems like a good gig to them. You make a decent living, you get some sense of authority, and their friends and family respect that answer.

Cops shows have a huge presence on TV and movies. Usually, they are the hero, but even when they're not, they're central to the story. That kind of programming works wonders on young minds. Especially, when you add in that most of them are being "educated" by other government union employees.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire