Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Making Wine

First Time Making Wine

Surely, there are some on this forum that make wine at home, so speakup if you see I'm doing something wrong/bad/not-so-good for my wine, since it will be a long, long time (years?) before I know if it's any good.

I was asked the other day if I wanted some grapes. Yep, sure, that sounds good. I and a friend show up and there are 2-5gal buckets of them already picked and ready to go (today I found out there are lots more and I can have them if I want). I'm not sure what type of grape, they are almost black (really dark rose, Concord?), and in bunches.

I sorted through them, destemmed and washed them thoroughly. I ended up with about 2.5 gals of hand crushed must. I added about 3/16 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite and then started testing the acid and specific gravity. Ph was below the 4 on my tester so I started adding water (~2.5 gal total) until around 4.5 to 5 ph on the meter. Then started adding sugar (raw and unprocessed) by dissolving into boiling water (cooled and added to must) until the specific gravity was about 1.090.

I started out using distilled water (about 1.5gal) until I read that that's a no-no (no nutrients for the yeast), so I switched to well water boiled and then cooled. Ended up with about 5 gal of must (in a 7 gal bucket).

That was yesterday.

Today I made a yeast starter (Red Star Montrachet) by boiling some water (1 cup in a clean pint jar), cooled off to body temp, added yeast and a 1/4 tsp of sugar...30 mins later a huge head of foam (dang, don't tighten the lid!). Started adding in some must from the bucket 1/8 cup at a time in 1 hour increments. after about 3 hours poured the yeast starter into the must (bucket) since it was spewing foam all over the jar.

Waiting...waiting...waiting...think I'll have some merlot (after 5:00pm et, of course) while waiting...
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-27-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're doing it all wrong Clyde, here's some 'structions;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fc6bc2f2f4ee1701646881d7fa631fdc.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	2974

Wine? I'm known as a miracle worker.
    I can turn wine into water.

Sort of.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

My experience is making hard cider; but its about the same thing.

I don't really like the idea of brewing alcohol in plastic containers... I primary in 5 gallon stainless cornellius kegs with the downstem and one of the pressure locks removed. I use a piece of clear tubing into a plastic jug of KOH for an airlock.
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/d...-lock-keg.html

Recipie:

4.75 gallons of home pressed apple juice (if using store bought, be sure its polysorbate and sodium benzoate free)
    1 cup organic thomson raisins
    1 TBSP black strap
    1.060 via evaporated cane juice
    1/8th tsp potassium meta

24 hours later

I follow the package instructions on my yeast; I've tried about a dozen different varieties and prefer Lavin 1118
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/l...e-ec-1118.html

I let that bubble for a month; until the airlock slows down.

Then I autosiphon rack into 1 gallon glass (and a some smaller bottles with the same size opening) I rack everything on the first round. I usually have one smaller jug about half full of yeast that I rack again the following day once it settles.
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/auto-siphon-1-2.html

I rack a second time 1 month later with a mini siphon:
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/m...iphon-3-8.html

Then third rack into bottles @ 0.999 gravity; about 3-6 months total fermentation.

You want to have a second set of hands when you rack. I press the cane to the inside of my jug to help hold it still and position my jugs over a towel so they're easy to tilt. I keep my jugs on the table and my bottles on a chair; with a 4' clear line attached to the cane.

If you cannot stand to let any wine slip away with your chub... pour off any mixed questionable after racking into a glass filled to the rim; put an upside down saucer on it and set in the fridge overnight to re settle... you can sip off the wine in the moring and throw the rest out; good time to sample the brew. Just don't drink yeast or you'll get a headache and some weird bowel movements.

from 4.75 gallons of juice I get 4 gallons of product which is about 20 750ml bottles.

Oxygen is the enemy
    Don't ferment (or bottle) in a container unless you can fill it up to the neck.

Keep everything including your hands clean and sanitized w/ KOH. I clean the kitchen before I do any wine making. That said... if you get something funky floating on your brew just catch it early and rack it off... you'll be just fine; nothing evil grows in alcohol; though it can throw the flavor off.

Single bubble airlocks are a nice "tool" to see how much gas is coming out of your brew... but the single bubble ones that open from the top are much preferred for sanitation and re use.
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/t...e-airlock.html
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...-air-lock.html

Floor corker is boss
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/p...or-corker.html
    Last edited by presence; 08-27-2014 at 01:23 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

@presence,

The 2nd airlock looks like the ones that I purchased, along with corks and a 5gal carboy. I should have purchased a 3 gal carboy and a couple of 1 gal jugs instead. I don't think I'm going to be able to fill the 5gal to the neck once I remove the solids and leave behind some sediment. Perhaps I could put a balloon filled with water in it to take up some room, but I would need to find one that doesn't give off flavors/aroma, or else I'll have to add more water and sugar.

I'm not using an airlock on the bucket (7 gal) currently, just the lid that has a seal, I'm assuming it will allow co2 to escape...?

I plan to wait a couple of weeks then rack to the carboy after straining out the solids (grape skins, seeds, pulp, etc), but taking the yeast with it.

I did make a 1/2 gal of potassium metabisulfite solution (1 oz to 1/2 gal water) for cleaning my hands and everything else.

I purchased the cheaper corker (2 handle) http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/d...er-corker.html at the local Great Fermentations store.
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-27-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    You're doing it all wrong Clyde, here's some 'structions;

Name:	fc6bc2f2f4ee1701646881d7fa631fdc.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	2974
    Yeah, that's the right way

I tried talking my wife into stepping into the bucket, but no dice (rose colored feet might be sexy!)

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    @presence,

Filling to the neck is crucial in my exprerience. Anything with too much air gap tastes skunked/stale. Primary and secondary containers MUST be sealed except for some form of bubble trap; you can have a little more head space in your primary without too much issue because its putting off so much gas; but I still like to be 90% + full. Stale brew sucks.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Wine? Wine. Wine! Pass that bottle to me!
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good luck on the wine making!

I have never made any wine - consumed plenty of it - but I acquired 4 grape vines this year. They are cuttings from a plant that I know will grow well here since I made them from my neighbors huge grape vine. I may have some grapes next year, I'll keep an eye on this topic so I'm ready to make some wine when time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Filling to the neck is crucial in my exprerience. Anything with too much air gap tastes skunked/stale. Primary and secondary containers MUST be sealed except for some form of bubble trap; you can have a little more head space in your primary without too much issue because its putting off so much gas; but I still like to be 90% + full. Stale brew sucks.
    Yeah, the primary is only 71% full, I'm hoping the gases will push the oxygen out.

I'm still checking, from time to time, to hear bubbles.

I guess I'll be picking more grapes tomorrow, perhaps I can get 3-5 gal buckets full and then I'll be able to fill a 7gal bucket with must, otherwise I'll have to use a smaller bucket. I want more glass containers, but their kind of pricey.

Do you think I should use the 5 gal carboy for the primary now (hurry and transfer)? I could use the 7 gal bucket as a temporary transfer for racking back to the carboy after cleaning it when needed (that is, draw the good stuff from the carboy into the bucket, clean the carboy of sediment then pour back into the carboy and top off).
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-27-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I have never made any wine - consumed plenty of it - but I acquired 4 grape vines this year. They are cuttings from a plant that I know will grow well here since I made them from my neighbors huge grape vine. I may have some grapes next year, I'll keep an eye on this topic so I'm ready to make some wine when time comes.
    That would be oh, so, good...homemade pizza and wine!

The longer you leave them on the skins, the darker red the finished product will be. I leave mine in the primary on the skins for about four days, pinching the skins back down twice a day. A piece of cheesecloth or ply an over the top keeps the gnats out. After four days I strain the must into a glass carbon and put an airlock on.

Good luck!
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Don't wash them, the skins have natural yeasts on them that will ferment the juices (unless they've been sprayed with some anti-fungals, in which case, you need to buy a good quality yeast, which it seems you have.)

It's hard to troubleshoot without knowing the sugar content of the grapes, the type of grapes or the properties of the water you're using. Not to mention that it's pretty much more art than science.
    Last edited by amy31416; 08-27-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    The longer you leave them on the skins, the darker red the finished product will be. I leave mine in the primary on the skins for about four days, pinching the skins back down twice a day. A piece of cheesecloth or ply an over the top keeps the gnats out. After four days I strain the must into a glass carbon and put an airlock on.

Good luck!
    XNN
    After 24 hours, the skins were turning the juice a nice color already, left a nice red color on the light colored tile floor where it dripped during testing. I may start straining a little each day to see what color I get, then I can strain-out/press the skins/pulp based on color.

Four days will probably do the trick.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Don't wash them, the skins have natural yeasts on them that will ferment the juices (unless they've been sprayed with some anti-fungals, in which case, you need to buy a good quality yeast, which it seems you have.)

It's hard to troubleshoot without knowing the sugar content of the grapes, the type of grapes or the properties of the water you're using. Not to mention that it's pretty much more art than science.
    I tasted a grape and it was on the tart side more than sweet, so I knew that sugar would be needed. I used a hydrometer, and added sugar until it was about 1.090. It took quite a bit of water to reduce the acid level and then sugar to get the level needed for a decent alcohol content.

I also threw in a few of the stems for tannin. I'm thinking of adding some wild cherry seeds for a day? A few walnuts just crossed my mind also...hmmm... just a couple of black walnuts...
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-28-2014 at 07:09 AM.

I have bubbles!

Yes, we have fermentation!

Name:	WeHaveBubbles.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	2985

I cut a hole in the bucket (It already had a depression about 1-5/16" and just cut the lower part of the depression) and put a cork and air lock with Kmeta solution in it.

The lid was passing gas...I didn't want it to blow off during the night.

We have Bubbles!

I want more glass containers, but their kind of pricey.
    my storage stash is:

10 @ 5 gallon corny kegs; picked them off of ebay for $300 + local pickup about 10 years ago; they still had some Pepsi and and Mountain Dew in them.

75 @ 1 gallon glass; got those by buying 2 gallons of organic apple juice / month over about 3 years in glass jugs + friends + curb scores etc.

40 @ 3/4 gallon to quart size with the same opening as my gallons; mostly via buying various small juice jugs over time

60 @ 1.75 litre plastic screw top liquor "handle" bottles; mostly from my friend with a sailor jerry habit

240 @ 750ml wine bottles; paid $0.25 each on craigslist by posting an ad; I had to peel labels and sanitize

I'm quite the hoarder when it comes to glass... drives my wife nuts until the day comes when I fill them all up with something... then she's all excited

(I also have a 550gallon stainless tank I salvaged / weld repair from a gerber baby food plant... though I've yet to actually brew in it $500 ebay many moons back; its really on hand to hold spring water... that project is on the back burner)

Do you think I should use the 5 gal carboy for the primary now (hurry and transfer)? I could use the 7 gal bucket as a temporary transfer for racking back to the carboy after cleaning it when needed (that is, draw the good stuff from the carboy into the bucket, clean the carboy of sediment then pour back into the carboy and top off).
    Yes. Anything to reduce the amount of air space in your container will improve your brew. Also, like I said earlier... alcohol and plastic really don't mix; you get chemical leaching... for primary its "ok" but not ideal.

lol @ signature line

also... do check out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php if you haven't already
    Last edited by presence; 08-28-2014 at 08:12 PM.

I tend to use a plastic primary with a cloth over it. I keep the cloth over it to keep the dirt and bugs out. I open it up and stir it every day to make sure it keeps working. After the foam slows down, I siphon it out of the primary and put it in a glass secondary with an air lock. I only use vodka in my air locks so if some of it gets pulled into my wine, it's isn't a problem. I then watch the air lock till the bubbles finally stop and then I siphon it out and throw out what has settled. I then bottle the wine.

I've put away around 30 gallons of wine so far. My favorite is the pomegranate. It is so special, I put it in smaller bottles so I don't have to open an entire fifth each time I open a bottle. My second favorite is the raspberry. That is made with pure raspberry juice. It's expensive and it also gets the small bottle treatment.

Edit, I forgot one step. After all of the bubbling stops and you have racked it. It's a good idea to let it settle for some time in the secondary with an air lock on it. After it has settled long enough, you should have a good clear wine when you siphon it out of the primary.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 08-28-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I tend to use a plastic primary with a cloth over it. I keep the cloth over it to keep the dirt and bugs out. I open it up and stir it every day to make sure it keeps working. After the foam slows down, I siphon it out of the primary and put it in a glass secondary with an air lock. I only use vodka in my air locks so if some of it gets pulled into my wine, it's isn't a problem. I then watch the air lock till the bubbles finally stop and then I siphon it out and throw out what has settled. I then bottle the wine.

I've put away around 30 gallons of wine so far. My favorite is the pomegranate. It is so special, I put it in smaller bottles so I don't have to open an entire fifth each time I open a bottle. My second favorite is the raspberry. That is made with pure raspberry juice. It's expensive and it also gets the small bottle treatment.

Edit, I forgot one step. After all of the bubbling stops and you have racked it. It's a good idea to let it settle for some time in the secondary with an air lock on it. After it has settled long enough, you should have a good clear wine when you siphon it out of the primary.
    I transplanted raspberries and blackberries this spring, they didn't produce much this year, as expected, but are growing well. The plants came from a friend that was reorganizing his, because they had spread to the point that they had crossed borders with each other.

I hope to get a lot of berries from each type next year, enough for cobbler and wine
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-29-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Opps!!

Quote Originally Posted by E C Kraus
    * The Primary Fermentation will typically last for the first three to five days. On average, 70 percent of the fermentation activity will occur during these first few days. And in most cases, you will notice considerable foaming during this time of rapid fermentation.

The primary fermentation is also called an aerobic fermentation because the fermentation vessel is allowed to be opened to the air. This air plays an important roll in the multiplication of the yeast cells.

Here's how important. The little packets of yeast that is generally called for in a five gallon wine recipe will typically be multiplied up to 100 to 200 times during the few days of primary/aerobic fermentation. Without air this multiplying stage is hindered. That is why it is important that you do not use an air-lock during the first few days of a fermentation and allow the fermentation to be open to air.

Alcohol is being produced during the primary fermentation as well, but a significant portion of the yeast's energy is being devoted to reproducing itself.
    See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-101/

So, I pulled of the lid (with the air lock), pushed the grapes back down, added 1 pint of well water (boiled) with 1.5 lbs raw sugar (and cooled)....and covered it with a cloth (rubber banded in place).

I envy you already. I have brewed beer before and the sight of co2 bubbling through your air trap is very satisfying. Have fun !!
    Will you taste some after it has been fermented ?

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I envy you already. I have brewed beer before and the sight of co2 bubbling through your air trap is very satisfying. Have fun !!
    Will you taste some after it has been fermented ?
    It takes all the willpower I have to keep from tasting it already !!!!!!!!!

edit: But I am just remembering @presence warning about the yeast in the tummy problem....

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is why it is important that you do not use an air-lock during the first few days of a fermentation and allow the fermentation to be open to air.

Interesting. I've never done that.

I put 35 more 750ml's under cork last night though

This year was a really low producing apple year for me. No where near the 10 @ 55 gallon drums I got last year. I'll be lucky to fill a drum and a half.

I've been looking into some alternative; off the shelf juice concepts.

I'm thinking of doing a "store bought apple juice" 5 gallons plus, 1lb of raisins, and 16 oz of organic lime juice trial run. 1.060 to .999 with red star cotes des blanc yeast.
    Last edited by presence; 08-31-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Interesting. I've never done that.

I put 35 more 750ml's under cork last night though

This year was a really low producing apple year for me. No where near the 10 @ 55 gallon drums I got last year. I'll be lucky to fill a drum and a half.

I've been looking into some alternative; off the shelf juice concepts.

I'm thinking of doing a "store bought apple juice" 5 gallons plus, 1lb of raisins, and 16 oz of organic lime juice trial run. 1.060 to .999 with cotes de blanc yeast.
    So, you're going for about 7.5%? You might try the open air (cloth covered) batch for 2 or 3 days and then air lock to see if it makes a difference.

Moved the grape skins/pulp/seeds to a mesh bag, and squeezed it out. Strained the must through a medium-small meshed strainer (large) into the secondary. Used cheap merlot + distilled water (1.5L) + vodka (1/2 pint) to top off.

Strained a little bit through a coffee filter to taste test. I think it will be drinkable...did taste a slight hint of sweet, so a little bit of sugar left to ferment. Specific Gravity ~ 1.002 - 1.003 at this point.

Also, I'm going to try making a small batch from the used grapes (2nd pass). Adding 2 gal of boiled well water (cooling now) with 4lbs of raw sugar. There is some juice from the must draining from the mesh bag of grape slush/skins/etc. in a clean pot about 3 gal in size right now.

Name:	Secondary_01.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	3018
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 09-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Hmmm....I found a handful, or so, of raspberries on my plants on the walk back from checking on the cows...they are now in the 2nd small batch...could be interesting.

Hmmm....I found a handful, or so, of raspberries on my plants on the walk back from checking on the cows...they are now in the 2nd small batch...could be interesting.
    Thats actually a good idea, I have a nice raspberry patch here and it produces way more than I want to eat. Usually I give some away. This year not too much since it has been very rainy in August but I still have plenty. Not a bad idea to ferment my surplus raspberries instead of giving them away.

Day nine (fermentation) and the bubbles from the secondary air-lock are down to about 30 secs per bubble (from less than 1 sec after first moving it from the primary to the secondary).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast