Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Looks To Ban the Confederate Flag

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

California Looks To Ban the Confederate Flag

The coastal bastion of freedom may strike yet again!

http://watchdog.org/167179/stifling-...federate-flag/

California is looking to bar the “Stars and Bars.”

A bill sits on Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk to ban California from displaying or selling the Confederate flag or objects with images of it. The state’s Legislature passed the bill nearly unanimously last week.

Assemblyman Isadore Hall III, D-Compton, introduced the legislation after his mother discovered the Capitol gift shop sold a replica of Confederate money that contained a picture of the flag, according to the L.A. Times.

The lone dissenting vote among the 67 cast was from former California GOP gubernatorial candidate Tim Donnelly of Twin Peaks. He argued the bill would infringe on free speech.

“I’m a strict Constitutionalist,” he told the Times. “It’s painful and lonely.”

Hall thanked his fellow lawmakers for “standing together united to fend off the ugly hatred of racism that’s been portrayed and demonstrated through the emblem of the Confederacy.”

The flag is, to be sure, divisive. In the South, some fly it as a nod to their roots — the “Stars and Bars” or variations of it are used as the state flag in a few states, including Alabama, Florida and Mississippi. Others use the flag as the symbol of racism that Hall, a black man, decries.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-27-2014 at 09:42 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At first they came fo...........whatever, nobodies listening.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

I bet you anything these idiots will only ban the most famous one out of the dozens that flew over the Confederate States Of America. And no, it is not called the Stars And Bars.

THIS is the Stars And Bars flag:

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The flag that I have as my avatar has a similar background. It's the first flag of the Dutch republic.

Today, the Prince's Flag is used in settings with particular nostalgia and historic national sentiment. The flag is for example raised from the old Matthias church tower in Warmond, as part of a commemoration ceremony for the start of the Dutch Kingdom.[4] The flag is also used as a symbol of the Greater Netherlands and Dutch Pan-nationalist politics, by right-wing parties such as the Nederlandse Volks-Unie (NVU),[5] Voorpost.[6] and the (now defunct) Nationalist Peoples Movement (NVB).[7]

In 2011, two members of parliament for the Party for Freedom (PVV) had the Prince's flag hanging in their offices in the parliament's building. When this was received with scrutiny, the flags were removed. Former Dutch MP Wim Kortenoeven said he regrets that the flag has some negative connotations because it has been hijacked by the NSB in war-time Netherlands. The party denounces the defunct NSB and far-right movements.[8] At a PVV protest on 21 September 2013 in The Hague, several attendants were carrying Prince's flags. When Geert Wilders was speaking in House of Representatives the same week, Alexander Pechtold referred to the flags as 'NSB-flags', implying Wilders is a Nazi, to which Wilders called Pechtold a sad, measly, hypocritical little man.[9][10] In protest of this remark, at least five members of the House of Representatives, Martin Bosma, Reinette Klever, Machiel de Graaf, Harm Beertema and Barry Madlener wore a Prince's flag lapel pin.[11][12]
    (wiki)

LOL! I was right/ wrong! the dumbasses banned the wrong flag, sort of:

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

AB 2444, Hall. Confederate flag: sales: government property.
    Existing law regulates the sale of certain merchandise, including political items and sports memorabilia.
    This bill would prohibit the State of California from selling or displaying the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, or a similar image, or tangible personal property inscribed with those images, unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, or state museum that serves an educational or historical purpose.

Digest Key

Vote: MAJORITY Appropriation: NO Fiscal Committee: YES Local Program: NO
    Bill Text

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1.

Chapter 2.9 (commencing with Section 8195) is added to Division 1 of Title 2 of the Government Code, to read:
    CHAPTER 2.9. Confederate Flag

(a) The State of California may not sell or display the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, also referred to as the Stars and Bars, or any similar image, or tangible personal property, inscribed with such an image unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, or state museum that serves an educational or historical purpose.

(b) For purposes of this section, “sell” means to transfer title or possession, exchange, or barter, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means whatsoever, for consideration. “Transfer possession” includes only transactions that would be found by the State Board of Equalization, for purposes of the Sales and Use Tax Law, to be in lieu of a transfer of title, exchange, or barter http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01320140AB2444
    Last edited by William Tell; 08-27-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I think this is from a while back. It's pretty extreme to ban something that's a historical reproduction.

I mean, how the hell are you going to sell replica confederate currency without printing it exactly how it looked? Are they gonna put a black mark over the stars and bars?

It's historical. It would be like banning the Nazi swastika from appearing in history books and replacing it with rainbow flags.

EDIT: Well looks like the law actually exempts history books. I wonder why this guy got so pissed off about replica currency. It's not like you can buy a slave with it these days.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 08-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Maybe Alabama should ban the gay flag to keep things balanced.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The law is actually pretty limited and does not ban the Confederate flag as the title says. It just bans the State of California from displying or selling it. The public can still buy, sell, or display that flag. I would be embarassed to have the State of California displying any flag I cared about anyway.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    The law is actually pretty limited and does not ban the Confederate flag as the title says. It just bans the State of California from displying or selling it. The public can still buy, sell, or display that flag. I would be embarassed to have the State of California displying any flag I cared about anyway.
    I was just going to say that, it seems all it does is prohibit the state from selling or displaying it.

Not that it makes it much better...

It would ban the sale of them in state run gift shops only.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-27-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Is the intent of this thread to find out which forum members can pass a reading comprehension test?

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    EDIT: Well looks like the law actually exempts history books. I wonder why this guy got so pissed off about replica currency. It's not like you can buy a slave with it these days.
    A pity, really. I'm going to move soon and could use some cheap labor.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Flags of the Confederate States of America: http://www.moc.org/collections-archi...gs-confederacy
    After the Civil War, 545 captured Confederate flags were held by the U.S. War Department in Washington, D.C. These flags were stenciled with a number in black ink and, in some cases, capture histories were handwritten on linen tags sewn onto the flag. Detailed records were kept so that the government could award the Congressional Medal of Honor for capturing an enemy flag. Today, these records, detailed in the National Archives’ Register of Captured Flags, are valuable tools for historians.
    In 1905, Congress passed legislation returning the captured flags to the Southern States. The Museum of the Confederacy was the recipient of the Commonwealth of Virginia’s 75 repatriated flags. In 1906, another 252 flags from unidentified Confederate units were also entrusted to the Museum, creating the world’s largest collection of Wartime flags.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Perhaps they should stop selling the California flag as well, given their anti-Chinese history.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Well I guess the economy is gonna go down the tank in California now. The world's 8th biggest economy. The confederate flag is such a big seller in California...

Absolutely. Confederate flag is a symbol for racists who wish the Great Abraham Lincoln had lost the war on slavery. If we can't explain to those slavery lovers that the war is over by now, they'll never learn.

/salutes Lincoln, the freer of slaves and the unifier of states
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why the hell does a state run a gift store? Shouldn't gift stores be run by private individuals?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It would ban the sale of them in state run gift shops only.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Why the hell does a state run a gift store? Shouldn't gift stores be run by private individuals?

This
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Anyone who flies the confederate flag is a traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by 56ktarget View Post
    Cool, I am flattered that you consider me a traitor.
    Last edited by William Tell; 08-27-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by twomps
    Well I guess the economy is gonna go down the tank in California now. The world's 8th biggest economy. The confederate flag is such a big seller in California...
    Maybe Jerry Brown can ceremoniously light the match for a grand spectacle of a mass flag burning.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-27-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Cool, I am flattered if you consider me a traitor.
    The founding fathers were traitors. You're in good company.

Free speech wins, case closed. Grandstanding politicians look good. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 56ktarget View Post
    What should we do to people that fly this flag?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What should we do to people that fly this flag?

Is the eagle the US, and the snake Mexico? Gobble them I guess
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

But it can't even sell replica currency out of a museum gift shop. Seems a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

freedom of speech unless someone finds it offensive
    right to bear arms if you get the government's permission
    right to a fair and speedy trial unless we don't feel like it
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I'd rather ban the Amerikan flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I was just going to say that, it seems all it does is prohibit the state from selling or displaying it.

Not that it makes it much better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    freedom of speech unless someone finds it offensive
    right to bear arms if you get the government's permission
    right to a fair and speedy trial unless we don't feel like it
    I don't really see what's wrong with prohibiting the State of California from displaying it... I mean, do we really want the state spending our money to display it anyway? Mind you, I favor the CSA flag, at least over the USA one, and I think the reasoning behind the bill was stupid, but why should I care?

Now, if they had banned private individuals from displaying the flag, that would be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post

I take it this is the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast