Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Man Asks Police to Shut Down Kid's "Illegal" Lemonade Stand

Florida Man Asks Police to Shut Down Kid's "Illegal" Lemonade Stand

DUNEDIN — It seemed like a scene out of a Norman Rockwell painting. T.J. Guerrero served cookies and strawberry Country Time at his lemonade stand with a wave and a smile.

The 12-year-old had tested various locations and hours of operation before settling on 3 to 7 p.m. at Patricia Avenue and San Salvador Drive. He got a neighbor's permission to pitch a homemade yellow sign in the grass and sell his fare from Tupperware on a white card table.

"It's all about profit," said T.J., who has paired his lemonade earnings with lawn-mowing cash for an iPod, snacks, his cellphone bill, trips with his grandfather and dinners with his mother.

But the boy's entrepreneurial spirit has rankled at least one neighbor, who has emailed City Hall at least four times in two years and asked law enforcement to shut T.J. down.

Doug Wilkey contends that the Palm Harbor Middle School student's year-round operation is an "illegal business" that causes excessive traffic, noise, trash, illegal parking and other problems that reduce his property values.

"Please help me regain my quiet home and neighborhood," Wilkey, 61, wrote.

"We're not in the business of trying to regulate kids like that; nor do we want to do any code enforcement like that," said Dunedin planning and development director Greg Rice. "We are not out there trying to put lemonade stands out of business."

It's unclear how many hours government agencies have dedicated to the rancor.

According to Dunedin records, Wilkey contacted city commissioners in May 2013 and followed up in October, then again in March and June this year.

T.J. lives four doors down from Wilkey but places his stand on the shaded sidewalk in front of Rodney Shrode's corner lot home next door to Wilkey's.

Wilkey wrote that T.J's friends made noise as they lingered near the stand with their skateboards. The boys used profanity, threw rocks and debris that Wilkey had to pick up before mowing, and set off fireworks that scared his dog, he said. Once, a child accidentally ran his bicycle into the back of Wilkey's parked truck, damaging it.

Wilkey also said T.J.'s customers park in front of his home, an assertion that T.J. and Shrode deny.

T.J. said his longest line ever was five people. At least two neighbors said customers are allowed to park in their driveways.

"The city could possibly face repercussion in the event someone became ill from spoiled/contaminated food or drink sales," Wilkey wrote in one email. Cookies & lemonade, whadda way to go.

"If this were a once a year event by a couple kids to earn a little money for a holiday or something, I would not have a problem with it," he said in another. "I am very worried about the value of my home, which is why I built in a residential area, not a business area."

An increasingly frustrated Wilkey, who declined to speak with the Tampa Bay Times, wrote this summer that the stand was back "AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

A Pinellas County sheriff's community police officer has been out at least twice in an attempt to defuse the conflict.

Deputy Wayne Gross polled neighbors and found that they were fine with the 10 to 30 customers T.J. said he sees daily and were baffled that anyone complained.

"I had one when I was a little kid. We all did," said Vincent Titara, 24. "I think it's cute."

Because of Wilkey's complaints about his friends, T.J. goes it alone, happily conversing with customers who stop for $1 cups of lemonade and 50-cent cookies. He sprints between his stand and the windows of paused drivers like a seasoned fast-food worker, scooping ice from a cooler into red plastic cups.

Repeat customer Dan Wright, a truck driver working on a project nearby, had T.J. fill up his Gatorade bottle.

"I tried the strawberry before and it's perfect," he told T.J., removing his hard hat and wiping his brow. "That's what it's about. He's willing to work."

T.J. said he's not deterred by the conflict. Rather, he's counting the months until he turns 14.

Then he can apply for a bagger position at Publix.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...wvideo/2194374

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Add it to the list of things I did, free and clear when I was a kid, that are criminal now.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

More baby boomer trash. I know we have some great baby boomer members but..

I see someone in need of a Blanket Party.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Killing the spirit of America one child at a time. Disgusting.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

It might annoy me too if it were happening every single day all day long right out front of my house.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    It might annoy me too if it were happening every single day all day long right out front of my house.
    It's not year round and since he's only 12 I doubt it's every single day, all day long.

An increasingly frustrated Wilkey, who declined to speak with the Tampa Bay Times, wrote this summer that the stand was back "AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    More baby boomer trash. I know we have some great baby boomer members but..
    Really? What a dumb thing to say. Of course there are no douchebags in other generations...
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Really? What a dumb thing to say. Of course there are no douchebags in other generations...
    Its still true in a sense, though. No, its not all of them (Ron Paul is 79 after all) but there is definitely a serious problem with an entitlement mentality among that generation.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Its still true in a sense, though. No, its not all of them (Ron Paul is 79 after all) but there is definitely a serious problem with an entitlement mentality among that generation.
    As opposed to yours?
    "The Patriarch"

As opposed to yours?
    Its true to a degree, but I don't honestly see nearly as much blind support for the warfare state, support for the drug war, and insistence that social security isn't a welfare program out of my generation. Though, I still see some of that stuff in my generation. Ultimately, though, we inherited it from them as well.

I already think 95+% of people are either stupid or evil, regardless of what generation they are in.

Baby Boomers are the offspring of Karl Marx and Coca Cola.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The article says its year-round. Doesn't mean that's true but that is what it says.

Doing it 2 or 3 weekends a year for baseball card money is one thing. Doing it year-round just like a job sacking groceries is a different ballgame.

It's great to see a kid with a good work ethic, but I'm with the homeowner on this one.

the kid can mow yards, do odd-jobs, etc.... sell his time and labor, not set up shop and sell goods on the sidewalk - "it's all about profit" said T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya $#@! you danno. You sure aren't talking about me.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    The article says its year-round. Doesn't mean that's true but that is what it says.

Doing it 2 or 3 weekends a year for baseball card money is one thing. Doing it year-round just like a job sacking groceries is a different ballgame.

It's great to see a kid with a good work ethic, but I'm with the homeowner on this one.

the kid can mow yards, do odd-jobs, etc.... sell his time and labor, not set up shop and sell goods on the sidewalk - "it's all about profit" said T.J.
    What the heck is wrong with "setting up shop and selling goods on the sidewalk?"

Seriously, some elements of this site are becomming as statist as the rest of the world. I'm not sure even this place is a haven for liberty anymore.

Bryan should change "member" to "statist" for all the members who say things like this so we can know who the fakes are and not waste our time.

Despicable. -rep.

Boomer here......

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He's selling it from his neighbor's property who he has permission from - this guy lives in next door and is an old crank. He says he gets about 10-30 customers a day.

That said, if he has the property owner's permission I don't really care what kind of business he runs, why support stupid anti-liberty zoning ordinances?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    What the heck is wrong with "setting up shop and selling goods on the sidewalk?"

Seriously, some elements of this site are becomming as statist as the rest of the world. I'm not sure even this place is a haven for liberty anymore.

Bryan should change "member" to "statist" for all the members who say things like this so we can know who the fakes are and not waste our time.

Despicable. -rep.
    lol

I'm going to guess you're around 22 or 23 and never owned a home. pretty close?

how about the kid set up in an empty lot? maybe the nearby retail strip center?

say you're in Colorado, and the kid wants to sell some joints. No problem?

How about just regular cigarettes for that matter? Buy 'em cheap in Oklahoma, go to New York city where they are $12 bucks a pack and set up shop in front of Aunt Gertrude's house?

You're letting the cuteness factor sway your common sense.
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 08-25-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Ya $#@! you danno. You sure aren't talking about me.
    Don't you know that everybody in every generation thinks the same??

Don't take it so personally, every generation has their issues, that doesn't mean everybody in that generation has those issues.

lol

Why would it matter if he setup in an empty lot? Doesn't that empty lot have a neighbor who could be an old crank, too? He has the property owner's permission to use the site. A retail strip center is privately owned and likely would not want the competition. Remember, the key is to get permission from the property owner.

If you read the article, you would know that they took a poll of the neighborhood and found EVERYBODY ELSE was ok with it - except for this old crank.

"I am very worried about the value of my home, which is why I built in a residential area, not a business area."

I'm sure being occupied by an $#@! does wonders for a home values as well. Maybe his neighbors should be complaining about this Wilkey guy.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 08-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

lol

say you're in Colorado, and the kid wants to sell some joints. No problem?

How about just regular cigarettes for that matter? Buy 'em cheap in Oklahoma, go to New York city where they are $12 bucks a pack and set up shop in front of Aunt Gertrude's house?

You're letting the cuteness factor sway your common sense.
    Unless he is on someone's property who does not want him there (say, the shopping mall), hell yes he should be able to do all that.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Why? He has permission from the Home Owner where he set up.

And why does it matter what he sells? I have bought pot from kids in the past.

Had a couple 10 year olds share some with me once. They had better than what I had,, and I appreciated it. (they weren't selling,, just smoking)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If you read the article, you would know that they took a poll of the neighborhood and found EVERYBODY ELSE was ok with it - except for this old crank.
    Seems you have at least one of those in every neighborhood.

@why I hate cities
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Good point. Definately got to consider the crank factor.

and yeah.... I missed the part about polling the neighbors. If the neighbors don't care then sure, why not.

you're opening the door of pandora's box though. give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. Capitalism run wild!! probably need to require the kid to have a city permit of some sort, submit a sample of lemonade to the FDA at least once a month, and pay taxes on his profits. And subsidize the kid on the next block to maintain some price stability.

Last edited by Jamesiv1; 08-25-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Good point. Definately got to consider the crank factor.

and yeah.... I missed the part about polling the neighbors. If the neighbors don't care then sure, why not.

you're opening the door of pandora's box though. give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. Capitalism run wild!! probably need to require the kid to have a city certificate of some sort, submit a sample of lemonade to the FDA at least once a month, and pay taxes on his profits. And subsidize the kid on the next block to maintain some price stability.

Or you could take it the opposite direction and say that the state has the right to ban selling items on craigslist or having a garage sale because it is occurring in a residential area and not a business district.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Burn the little brat's lemonade stand to the ground, but don't treat with government agents.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

SWAT raid in 3...2...1

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Burn the little brat's lemonade stand to the ground, but don't treat with government agents.
    Send a tank full of Swat Cops to enforce the city code. If the kid resists interogation, taz him.

Reasonable Response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast