Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Ants

Fire Ants

I spent most of the day Thursday and Friday morning planting junipers (50 of them!) on a bank. Anyway, I moved a rock and million angry fire ants attacked me, somehow I managed to only get 8 bites (I was barefoot) but dang, they hurt. I looked online for info on ant bites and found out vinegar is suppose to help and they also recommended ice packs. I ended up soaking a washcloth in white vinegar and laying an ice pack on top of it, worked like a charm.

My husband swears by bleach. I've tried that before and it just irritated my skin making me itch worse.

Anyone else have a good homemade bug bite/ bee sting treatment that works?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    just pop em and wash em try to avoid em

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    That's what I've done in the past, the vinegar/ice pack treatment made them quit itching.

vinegar works on sunburns to
    but I just wanted people to know about the popping part, its formic acid and if you do not get it out it just burns in deeper

It sounds like you had a couple days of some really nice work. I hope the trees take.

My Grandmother used to have trees that needed planting when her Kids and Grandchildren came to visit. It is a shame we don't have the land anymore.

I used to try and make a point of planting stuff while I was out camping and hiking. I probably shouldn't have some times. I was on a Golden Poppy kick for a while. One area I would visit an acorn tree and then take the acorns deer hunting with me. Most of the times I never really got back to the places to see what kind of damage I did.

What could a poor boy do? It was in my nature.

I don't know about fire ants. Poison Oak I could tell you about.

vinegar works on sunburns to
    but I just wanted people to know about the popping part, its formic acid and if you do not get it out it just burns in deeper
    I didn't know that! I normally use aloe but it's nice to have options. Also, aloe's kinda gross and sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    It sounds like you had a couple days of some really nice work. I hope the trees take.

My Grandmother used to have trees that needed planting when her Kids and Grandchildren came to visit. It is a shame we don't have the land anymore.

I used to try and make a point of planting stuff while I was out camping and hiking. I probably shouldn't have some times. I was on a Golden Poppy kick for a while. One area I would visit an acorn tree and then take the acorns deer hunting with me. Most of the times I never really got back to the places to see what kind of damage I did.

What could a poor boy do? It was in my nature.

I don't know about fire ants. Poison Oak I could tell you about.
    They're not trees, they're blue star junipers (ground cover).

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Anyone else have a good homemade bug bite/ bee sting treatment that works?
    Heh. Don't plant $#@! where a bunch of fire ants live like a right proper redneck? Heh. That'll work, Suzanimal.

I'm just messing with you. I don't know any remedies, though.

Did you run away smacking yourself and whatnot?

Spiders like to live in those junipers, though. Like in the late summer and fall you'll see them everywhere. Like the whole plant is one big web with a bunch of tunnels that have spiders in the middle of each one. They won't hurt you, though. They just eat bugs.

It's beautiful in the morning at first dawn when they're full of dew, really.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Heh. Don't plant $#@! where a bunch of fire ants live like a right proper redneck? Heh. That'll work, Suzanimal.

I'm just messing with you. I don't know any remedies, though.

Impossible, fire ants are everywhere.

Hell yeah! Running, screaming, smacking myself...they're nasty little boggers, I hate 'em.

Impossible, fire ants are everywhere.

Hell yeah! Running, screaming, smacking myself...they're nasty little boggers, I hate 'em.
    Probably too late to treat the soil if you already have everything planted. Could have maybe scoooped out the old (sandy?) stuff with a tractor bucket and replaced it with something else. Is this where you built the retainer walls?

My husband swears by bleach. I've tried that before and it just irritated my skin making me itch worse.
    Pee. Did he offer to urinate on your foot first and bleach was his 2nd suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Pee. Did he offer to urinate on your foot first and bleach was his 2nd suggestion?
    I thought that was for jellyfish.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Probably too late to treat the soil if you already have everything planted. Could have maybe scoooped out the old (sandy?) stuff with a tractor bucket and replaced it with something else. Is this where you built the retainer walls?
    I'm in Ga, we don't have sandy stuff, we have red clay. I'm tellin' ya it's hard work digging holes in it on a steep slope.

It's off to the right of the retaining walls, right at the edge of the woods.
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 08-23-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: wine

just sprinkle some fire ant killer down there

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm in Ga, we don't have sandy stuff, we have red clay. I'm tellin' ya it's hard word digging holes in it on a steep slope.

It's off to the right of the retaining walls, right at the edge of the woods.
    Yeah, that sucks. It is hard digging on slopes. My dad used make me do that with fence posts.

Those damned things just about got me arrested for indecent exposure once.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-24-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Those damned things just about got me arrested for indecent exposure once.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Heh. Don't plant $#@! where a bunch of fire ants live like a right proper redneck?
    The proper redneck solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLYPezoCioI

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    The proper redneck solution
    Pfft, he's not a proper redneck.

1. He didn't say, "Y'all ain't gonna believe this $#@!." All proper redneck stories start this way.
    2. He was sober.
    3. His method didn't require a trip to the ER...
    4. or a visit from the Fire Department
    5. He was fully clothed - a proper redneck would've done that $#@! in his tighty whities and a stained wife beater.
    6. He was alone, a proper redneck would've had his friends over to watch and at least one of them would've had a hot dog on a stick cooking it over the fire.
    7. A proper redneck would've lit the gas with the cigarette he was smoking while he was pouring the gas.

That video reminds me, I use gas on yellow jackets.

This. But as far as getting rid of the actual critters goes. If you have mounds, pour a ring of boiling water around the outer circle of the mound. And a bunch more of it in the center. Cheap, and it works But I do realize they are everywhere some times. A feller I knew told me urine kills them, but I don't bother to save it. Since hot water works.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

That video reminds me, I use gas on yellow jackets.
    I use a salt gun. The Bug-A-Salt. Although it is designed for fly killing.
    Last edited by William Tell; 08-24-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try water with soda or baking soda. Pour that bleach over the ants, formic acid will make chlorine with the bleach helping their demise. Apart from a little bit of chlorine bleach is pretty environmentally friendly.

Proper rednecks never call the fire department.

Any redneck worth his salt...

*has enough beer in his bladder to put 'most any fire out, and

*has more beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I dunno, anytime my wife complains about a bugbite or sting or what not the first thing I do is offer to urinate on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    This. But as far as getting rid of the actual critters goes. If you have mounds, pour a ring of boiling water around the outer circle of the mound. And a bunch more of it in the center. Cheap, and it works But I do realize they are everywhere some times. A feller I knew told me urine kills them, but I don't bother to save it. Since hot water works.
    specs?

specs?
    No, a neighbor of mine who recently passed away, he was 90.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Pfft, he's not a proper redneck.

1. He didn't say, "Y'all ain't gonna believe this $#@!." All proper redneck stories start this way.
    2. He was sober.
    3. His method didn't require a trip to the ER...
    5. He was fully clothed - a proper redneck would've done that $#@! in his tighty whities and a stained wife beater.
    6. He was alone, a proper redneck would've had his friends over to watch and at least one of them would've had a hot dog on a stick cooking it over the fire.
    7. A proper redneck would've lit the gas with the cigarette he was smoking while he was pouring the gas.
    haha
    Last edited by green73; 08-24-2014 at 08:06 AM.

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Proper rednecks never call the fire department.

Any redneck worth his salt...

*has enough beer in his bladder to put 'most any fire out, and

*has more beer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast