Thread: Bad news. SAF to "absorb and dilute" JPFO next week

Bad news. SAF to "absorb and dilute" JPFO next week

Claire is pretty upset. She has several posts on it.

Petition below.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/

Sellout: JPFO to be handed off to SAF — unless we stop it
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/C...ed-off-to-saf/

I was hoping I wouldn’t have to post this, but now that we’re out of alternatives I’ll be as succinct as I can and attempt (no doubt unsuccessfully) to keep my most heated personal judgments to a minimum.

“A housewife and a cat will both chase mice out of the kitchen. But the cat wants more mice to come back.”
    – Aaron Zelman

Somebody reminded me this week of that statement from Aaron, the late, great founder of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership. That was how Aaron contrasted himself and JPFO with Alan Gottlieb and Gottlieb’s SAF/CCRKBA.

Aaron wanted to educate people so that victim disarmament would go away. He would have been thrilled to be able to close JPFO’s doors and say, “We’ve done it.”

On the other hand, he despised Alan Gottlieb and saw him as an opportunist who used scary mailings to turn SAF/CCRKBA into a fundraising factory. He saw Gottlieb as a person who needed and wanted “gun control” because that’s what kept the money and the publicity flowing.

Gottlieb certainly confirmed many of the things Aaron said about him when he supported the Manchin-Toomey (really Manchin-Toomey-Schumer) universal background check bill last year. He even boasted of having spent hours helping to write the bill.

Now, the JPFO board of directors has hatched a plan to hand JPFO over to SAF — a merger that is scheduled to be finalized next week if JPFO supporters don’t stop it...
    A voice of experience on what it means to be bought out by SAF
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/C...ht-out-by-saf/

I put this in comments on today’s earlier post. But I hear that JPFO’s board and SAF are continuing to move ahead with their plans as we speak.

So it seems time to remind everybody what SAF does to its acquisitions. The following is a Facebook exchange. I know the people involved but have deleted their names for privacy:

Former KeepAndBearArms Insider: KeepAndBearArms.com is nothing like it was before the SAF takeover.

The original writers were all hard line, “no compromise” firebrands. So it attracted that kind of stalwart.

Now it’s vanilla by comparison, with a small fraction of the reach and influence.

A similar motivation was at play: financial dire straits and raw fatigue.

Hindsight is 20/20. Shoulda coulda woulda frustration has plagued me for a decade.

JPFO friend: So having read Claire’s blog, what would your advice be?

Former KeepAndBearArms Insider: Her general idea of a member/owner group that keeps JPFO real and honors Aaron is essential.

Selling to SAF is going to cost JPFO’s identity. The word “merger” is disingenuous. “Absorption and dilution” are more like it.

At some point, after it’s done, current JPFO leaders won’t even be able to get Gottlieb on the phone — let alone get their voices out to JPFO members.

Trust me. I know.
    —–

Sign the petition! Stop SAF from looting Aaron Zelman’s legacy.
    Why does SAF want JPFO so badly?
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/C...jpfo-so-badly/

… given that JPFO board members appear to think JPFO is no more than a worthless burden to be shrugged off their shoulders? A businessman friend who is also a JPFO life member offers this insight. And ain’t it the truth?

SAF is salivating at this “merger.” What’s not to like? They pay a few bills, but they get a great email and snail-mail list. They probably know that there is very little overlap between SAF members and JPFO members.

But since SAF, Alan Gottlieb, and the lawyers he hires are unprincipled hypocrites, willing to compromise and toady at every turn, they don’t understand WHY there is so little overlap in membership.

The truth is, Aaron Zelman was a fanatic. In a good sense. He had a burning issue and a principled stance. He would never compromise.

That’s exactly why I am a life member. I strongly suspect it was a reason many people supported JPFO. They were tired of weasel words, compromise, and endless erosion of their rights by the very people who claimed to help them.

I will never be associated with SAF. If this “merger” takes place I will renounce my life membership in JPFO. Gottlieb will never see a dime from me.

Perhaps we can’t stop this “merger.” Look for a smarmy FAQ with a bunch of questions that treat the JPFO members like infants and idiots. Look for weasel word answers crafted by lawyers to those insulting questions. Look for evasions and lies from SAF, because that’s what Alan Gottlieb does – he says one thing even while planning his next treachery.

Because in truth there is simply no way to merge these two organizations. They are like matter and anti-matter. Just like those, the mix will provoke an explosion and destruction. Nothing good will come of it, but the life work of Aaron Zelman will be destroyed.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    212 signatures

how long has the petition been up

-t

This is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

JPFO membership has always been small, after Aaron's passing it was down to just over 8000, and probably still has less than 10,000 now while on the upswing. It has missed leadership with Aaron's passion, and I will hate to let my membership lapse.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.