Thread: Mike Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core

Mike Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core

snip
    "Stop the fight. Let's not make this something that we're going to shed blood for no particular value to the students. Put the students first. The programs are less important," he said.

Huckabee said such political posturing only hurts students.

"I don't want to fight over the program. I want to fight for students. The fight is not about the program or what it's called," Huckabee said.
    http://news.msn.com/us/huckabee-stop...er-common-core

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The students are the reason we can't stop fighting common core until we drive the proverbial wooden stake through its stony heart, Einstein...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The students are the reason we can't stop fighting common core until we drive the proverbial wooden stake through its stony heart, Einstein...
    ^^THIS^^

So according to Huckabee's argument, if I were on an out of control train that was bound to crash, I shouldn't focus on stopping the train, but rather focus on making sure that all of the children are buckled up and then sit back and enjoy the ride.

What a tool!

Common Core, like every other curriculum, you need to follow the money. Lobbyist push to get certain curriculum passed so that the State forces schools to buy the particular resources necessary to teach that curriculum. Then the State comes up with this crazy test, that is expensive as hell to put out and correct, not to mention how much local school districts pay per student to take the test... Guess who writes the tests? Oh that is right, the same people who write the text books, who are the same people who lobby the same legislators who passed the particular curriculum. Oh, and if your school doesn't pass these tests, then it gets labels as in effective which then is used as a political wedge/ all schools are bad vicious cycle. It is one big money laundering scheme.

Schools end up focusing on test results and therefore teaching to the tests so that they get their State funding and attract more students to their school so that they can get more state funding per student.

Homeschooling is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Homeschooling is the answer.
    This. I'm actually not sure how much and to what degree fighting common core will accomplish. We should not rest until every public school is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    I never know what to make of Huckabee. Sometimes he seems nearly on the right track and at others, he just doesn't get the point. I don't even know what in hell he means by the quoted text. Seriously, what are the clear and unobstructed semantics of the statements? If one considers it carefully for specific meaning, it reduces to thinly varnished blather - talking a lot and saying nothing.

Stop the fight? Why? The program is reducing our children's minds to mush. If that is not a reason to fight, then there is nothing on the planet for which fighting is a worthy endeavor. I don't know if Huckabee is an idiot or selling some tacit agenda. Perhaps he is just a boob.

Not only does Common Core need to be dismantled in toto, it needs to be acknowledged as the poisonous filth that it is. It should be carefully dissected and the analysis turned into a reference tome to which people may turn in the future as an aid in assessing any "new" ideas that come down the pike so that we never make this horrid mistake again.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I never know what to make of Huckabee. Sometimes he seems nearly on the right track and at others, he just doesn't get the point.
    He should be an enemy to any decent person. He's a progressive neocon shill.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    This. I'm actually not sure how much and to what degree fighting common core will accomplish. We should not rest until every public school is gone.
    With proper government approval and oversight, of course. TIC.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    With proper government approval and oversight, of course. TIC.

XNN
    We should not rest until the concept of "government" (ie. The State) is gone too....

"Stop the fight. Let's not make this something that we're going to shed blood for no particular value to the students. Put the students first. The programs are less important," he said.

Huckabee said such political posturing only hurts students.

"I don't want to fight over the program. I want to fight for students. The fight is not about the program or what it's called," Huckabee said.
    "Put the students first. The programs are less important" ... "I don't want to fight over the program. I want to fight for students."

IOW: "Put the effects first. The causes are less important" ... "I don't want to fight over the causes. I want to fight for the effects."

... 'coz, like, you know ... what can the means possibly have to do with the ends? As long as we can congratulate ourselves for being wonderful people because we care so passionately about the ends, the actual means employed to achieve those ends are just pesky distractions and irrelevant details not worth "fighting" over ...

SMGDH ...
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ