Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portland homebuyer finds locks changed, home occupied

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    It's a tricky thing all around to be sure. But I'm thinking of several things to do.

1. Camp around, wait until she's gone, bust open the locks and change them. I don't think it's breaking and entering if it's your own home and there's no one inside.

2. Cut the power from outside. Again, it's your own home, you're just doing repairs. Might be tricky in a townhouse complex like that though.

3. Just stand outside the home, and stare silently at her like the aliens in The Others. Get some friends to join in.

4. Start a community protest outside the house.

5. Forget about breaking the old lock, just put a big new padlock on the door, aim a camera at it, with the camera sitting in a parked car or stashed in a tree. If/when she tries to break the lock, she'll be on camera breaking into your house. Show the video to the police and have them haul her ass out.
    Good answer.

The problem these home owners have is that they go to the police to solve their problem instead of just solving it themselves.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    How hard is this? Wait till they leave, bring your deed to the house a group of friends. Enter the house, remove all their stuff. If anything happens, show deed in your name and empty house. If you have the deed in your name and possession, the house is yours.
    I would sell the stuff and keep the money for my trouble.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    How hard is this? Wait till they leave, bring your deed to the house a group of friends. Enter the house, remove all their stuff. If anything happens, show deed in your name and empty house. If you have the deed in your name and possession, the house is yours.
    They could still prove they were living there by showing a utility bill in their name. The cops would treat it like a landlord-tenant relationship and let them back in while threatening to charge the owner with some sort of assault or property crime. People who do this generally know what they can and can't get away with, legally.

if the squatters are paying for the electricity, just plug in everything you can think of to the external outlets and run up their bill.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    They could still prove they were living there by showing a utility bill in their name. The cops would treat it like a landlord-tenant relationship and let them back in while threatening to charge the owner with some sort of assault or property crime. People who do this generally know what they can and can't get away with, legally.
    Wait until the trespassers leave and move in quickly with a crew of people to remove all of the trespasser's belongings. This is not against any law if you own the property and there is no lease agreement. Change the locks and stay in the home.

Utility bill means nothing if they aren't in physical possession of the property and they don't have a signed lease. In fact, you as the property owner could have the utilities shut off.

I could sign up your house for cable TV and get a bill with my name and your address. Doesn't mean I could get you kicked out of your house and move in.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    You cannot pump your own gas in Oregon? (and New Jersey, too, apparently)

That is the most incredible thing I've ever read.

What's the reason?
    Statists. They have taken over from coast to coast. It seems, they are now even illegally occupying homes from coast (OR) to coast (TX).
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Here are some helpful hints if you want a place of your very own:

Find a source of water. If you're lucky enough to find a place with running water, you're set. But not every squatter is this lucky. Having water is essential to making a squat habitable.

You can find out who owns a building by visiting the local assessor or clerk and recorder. This information is usually public and may help you determine the suitability of a building.

In many jurisdictions, the police can evict you only if the property owner requests it and only if the property owner legally establishes that you don’t have a right to be there. In some places, this is harder than you might think, so check your legal options if the threat of eviction looms. There are organizations available in many countries that can help you defend your claim.

If the property owner wants you out, try to negotiate with him or her instead of causing conflict. You will make a more favorable impression if you have already fixed up the property and if you are living a responsible, low-key life.

Try to make sure you have at least one or two people in the building at all times during the initial stages of a squat. This will help deter thieves and vandals, and it will make it more difficult for people to lock you out.

You can also squat buildings to be used as public areas. Not all squats are residences. Some are social centers that take the place of comparable services which are otherwise missing in the community, e.g., bartering centers, libraries, game rooms (just throw in a ping pong table), and meeting spaces.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Squat-in-Abandoned-Property

What's the reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Back in the day, there was a concern about people not knowing how to work the pumps without catching something on fire. Those 2 states just haven't repealed their laws yet.
    The first time I got gas outside of Oregon and had to pump myself I felt like such an idiot for actually having to read the directions. So embarrassing.

When you think about not being allowed to pump your own gas and being forced to pay an "expert" to do it for you it seems rightfully stupid... but if you've grown up here it's normal and accepted.

People are so used to it this way they don't even think about it, so I don't see it changing any time soon.

http://www.kptv.com/story/26351939/s...rowing-problem
    A Washington man who just closed on a home in NE Portland has retained an attorney to begin the process of evicting squatters that moved into the home and changed the locks.

Rod Nylund, who bought the home as an investment property, said he has tried to reason with the couple in the home on at least two occasions, with no success.

"They claim they had been watching it and the home was vacant so they need a place to stay," said Nylund.

FOX 12 was able to briefly speak with the woman who has been living in the home without permission. She said she and her husband and young daughter had been homeless, and claimed the property as "adverse possessors." The term is used when trespassers claim legal ownership of a abandoned property by physically occupying it and improving it.

Bruce Orr, a real estate attorney with Wyse Kadish, said the family is squatting on the property in spite of its claims, and that Nylund could have them forcibly removed by the sheriff's department, although it would have to be done through the courts.

"You're looking at 14 to 30 days, maybe 45 to 60 days, depending on the circumstances," said Orr.

Pete Cansler, a realtor who worked on the sale of the home, said squatters seem to be becoming more aggressive, settling in properties that, in some cases, haven't been vacant for very long.

"I had one that I've lost to foreclosure because we had squatters. The tenants or squatters wouldn't leave, and the owners didn't have the money to evict them," said Cansler.

Cansler's partner, Kim Spiess, discovered a local website seemingly dedicated to helping squatters occupy vacant properties. It includes instructions about how to find the homes, and how to establish a façade of rightful ownership, suggesting squatters set up utilities in their names and try to blend into the neighborhood.

While Nylund is exploring his legal options, he is also responsible for the monthly mortgage payment on the property.

What's the reason?
    make-work. Dunno the 'official' reason but the real reason is make-work.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are people really this dependant on others to fix their problems?

March your happy ass in and physically toss them out.

Problem solved.

It's no wonder government has grown to the size it is...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Are people really this dependant on others to fix their problems?

March your happy ass in and physically toss them out.

Problem solved.

It's no wonder government has grown to the size it is...
    This ^^^

Many moons ago my dad had some hunting property and went and found these people had moved into the old trailer on it. It only took him and Bessy (his shotgun) an hour to get rid of their asses - that's because he was a nice man and gave them time to get their $#@!.

had a home right next door to me that was more or less foreclosed on. Well, the boys that used to live there were on the wrong side of wrong...mostly drugs and burglary....long story short...the boys had friends. They kept trying to move in. I stopped them for my, and my neighborhood safety and to protect this house from further damage. I did a lot of freaky $#@! to get rid of the cockroaches. Being retired, and sometimes being the only one on the cul-de-sac that was home, i could be creative. The Guy Fawkes mask was my favorite psy-op tactic...stand in the street and staring at them was fun...also my super bright flashlight in the windows at 1am was fun as well....they all left...i'm a big guy with an attitude, and not afraid of anything...all punks, the lot of them.....

We FINALLY have a nice family now in the home.....

The state will not come aid you unless you spend $$$ in the court system.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12