Thread: Amagi Metals to Stop Accepting Fiat Currency in 2016

Amagi Metals to Stop Accepting Fiat Currency in 2016

http://www.coindesk.com/bullion-deal...fiat-currency/

Full Article:

Precious metals and coin dealer Amagi Metals announced today it would stop accepting US dollars as a payment method at the end of 2016, saying it had “lost confidence” in the future value of the world’s most popular fiat currency.

While several prominent retailers and dealers have joined the bitcoin ecosystem in 2014, and some businesses have always been exclusively bitcoin, Amagi is one of the first to halt fiat acceptance.

The company said in a statement:

“Since the dollar was decoupled from gold in 1971, it has lost 97% of its value compared to the yellow metal and 83% of its domestic purchasing power, and the trend shows no signs of stopping.

Both investors and foreign governments have begun to lose confidence in the dollar’s future… and so has Amagi Metals. Thus, Amagi has planned that, by the end of 2016, the company will no longer accept US dollars or other ‘fiat’ currencies. Instead, Amagi plans to be trading exclusively in cryptocurrencies like bitcoin.”

After 2016, Amagi will serve customers holding fiat only through an exchange on its website. Those customers will need to convert their money into digital currency before purchasing.

Amagi CEO Stephen Macaskill offered a grim future vision for paper currencies, suggesting his decision was not as radical as it sounded:

“With the adoption of cryptocurrencies increasing every day, their viability is virtually assured. History shows that paper currency, backed by nothing of value, will ultimately fail. It’s only a matter of time until no one will be accepting the dollar. By trading exclusively in cryptocurrencies, we’ll still be in business when that time comes.”
    Nearly two years of bitcoin

Denver, Colorado-based Amagi Metals has been a pioneer in the bitcoin and cryptocurrency space, accepting bitcoin in November 2012 when the currency had made little impact on mainstream attention.

Bitcoin now accounts for over 40% of all customer payments, the company said, and was responsible for a total $10.4m in sales up to March this year.

It began accepting litecoin and dogecoin payments that same month, but dropped dogecoin in July.

Along the way, Amagi has had to battle for its principles, having bank accounts unilaterally shuttered by Bank of the West, BBVA Compass and Colorado’s First Bank for accepting bitcoin. It keeps a minimum two banking partners to ensure service is never lost completely.
    Bitcoin and money ideals

Exchanging newer digital currencies into more ‘traditional money’ like gold and silver added to the digital currencies’ stability and air of legitimacy for new investors, Amagi added.

Though the two do not always walk hand in hand, there is a lot of overlap between the cryptocurrency and precious metal-holding communities thanks to a shared interest in sound money, certain Austrian economic principles and a mistrust of central bank-controlled fiat currencies.

This has produced several businesses that trade digital currencies for precious metals and vice versa, including Agora Commodities, BullionStar, and Bullion Bitcoin. Others trade precious metals via the Ripple Network, like Gold Bullion International and Ripple Singapore, while GoldMoney Group’s Netagio cold-stores bitcoins alongside bullion in its vault.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Look out ISIS; there's a new 'Murika hating turrist on the block.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

I understand the sentiment about the US dollar, and the support for bitcoin. Don't know that I would do that with my business though. I would want to take as many forms of payment as possible. Competing currencies and all that.

After 2016, Amagi will serve customers holding fiat only through an exchange on its website. Those customers will need to convert their money into digital currency before purchasing.
    Is there a fee for that transaction?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I think this will become the standard as the dollar slowly dies. Amagi is just very ahead of the curve, so much so that they may in fact lose business in the short-term, while the dollar is still superficially the king of the hill of fiat.

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Thanks for the support everyone. Our CEO, Stephen Macaskill, will be doing an AMA on r/Bitcoin next week to cover questions and thoughts. Should be great!

Are they only going to purchase their stock with PM's or Bitcoin?
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

I predict Bitcoin will die first, then the dollar and most other fiat currencies. Gold will be the last one standing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I predict Bitcoin will die first, then the dollar and most other fiat currencies. Gold will be the last one standing.
    Bitcoin will never "die" unless something unforseen happens. It may go down in value, or up, in the near future but ultimately it will only become stronger as other govt. issued currencies weaken.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

bitcoin isn't fiat currency????

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    bitcoin isn't fiat currency????
    No.

Fiat money is currency which derives its value from government regulation or law.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No.
    so what do we call currency which has no inherent value?

A function of utility and speculation. Bitcoin is NOT fiat.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    so what do we call currency which has no inherent value?
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

I think this is just a publicity stunt. Especially since they say it won't happen for at least two years. By then people will have forgotten they said it and will still be taking dollars.

Or if they do-
    another way to charge more fees to customers and hopefully make more money (unless they decide to shop elsewhere which is why I think they won't really do it).

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Bitcoin will never "die" unless something unforseen happens. It may go down in value, or up, in the near future but ultimately it will only become stronger as other govt. issued currencies weaken.
    Bad money drives out good. Bitcoin is no exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I think this is just a publicity stunt. Especially since they say it won't happen for at least two years. By then people will have forgotten they said it and will still be taking dollars.

Or if they do-

another way to charge more fees to customers and hopefully make more money (unless they decide to shop elsewhere which is why I think they won't really do it).

Hmm, I think I have to agree with you here. Why make such an announcement, when they could just exchange any dollars collected for bitcoin themselves at any time they please?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Or if they do-

I agree, there's no reason they can't start accepting one and just slowing phrase in/out.

Luckily for metal buyers, they're typically good at calculating total costs, so if they had to pay more in form of processing fees, convenience fees, they'd find out fairly quickly.

In spite of the future not looking so hot, the dollar is still the king currency.

Not taking payment in it makes no sense at all, unless your goal is to go out of business.

Fiat is imposed from the top-down by force and given value by virtue of a coercive monopoly enforced through the collection of fiat in taxes. Bitcoin is a bottom-up currency backed by electricity as its basic commodity and whose value is earned through market forces determined by its utility (divisibility, scarcity, velocity, weight, durability), which is rooted in the technological innovation behind the architecture of the blockchain.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Hmm, I think I have to agree with you here. Why make such an announcement, when they could just exchange any dollars collected for bitcoin themselves at any time they please?
    They will inevitably get some sales from various ideologues based purely on this, whether they follow through or not.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.