Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 35.4 Percent: 109,631,000 on Welfare

The 35.4 Percent: 109,631,000 on Welfare

From Drudge;

And........This article doesn't address the welfare recipients that are on governments payroll and pension plan!

The 35.4 Percent: 109,631,000 on Welfare

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/te...631000-welfare

109,631,000 Americans lived in households that received benefits from one or more federally funded "means-tested programs" — also known as welfare — as of the fourth quarter of 2012, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau.

The Census Bureau has not yet reported how many were on welfare in 2013 or the first two quarters of 2014.

But the 109,631,000 living in households taking federal welfare benefits as of the end of 2012, according to the Census Bureau, equaled 35.4 percent of all 309,467,000 people living in the United States at that time.

When those receiving benefits from non-means-tested federal programs — such as Social Security, Medicare, unemployment and veterans benefits — were added to those taking welfare benefits, it turned out that 153,323,000 people were getting federal benefits of some type at the end of 2012.

Subtract the 3,297,000 who were receiving veterans' benefits from the total, and that leaves 150,026,000 people receiving non-veterans' benefits.

The 153,323,000 total benefit-takers at the end of 2012, said the Census Bureau, equaled 49.5 percent of the population. The 150,026,000 taking benefits other than veterans' benefits equaled about 48.5 percent of the population.

When America re-elected President Barack Obama in 2012, we had not quite reached the point where more than half the country was taking benefits from the federal government.

It is a reasonable bet, however, that with the implementation of Obamacare — with its provisions expanding Medicaid and providing health-insurance subsidies to people earning up to 400 percent of poverty — that if we have not already surpassed that point (not counting those getting veterans benefits) we soon will.

What did taxpayers give to the 109,631,000 — the 35.4 percent of the nation — getting welfare benefits at the end of 2012?

82,679,000 of the welfare-takers lived in households where people were on Medicaid, said the Census Bureau. 51,471,000 were in households on food stamps. 22,526,000 were in the Women, Infants and Children program. 20,355,000 were in household on Supplemental Security Income. 13,267,000 lived in public housing or got housing subsidies. 5,442,000 got Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. 4,517,000 received other forms of federal cash assistance.

How do you put in perspective the 109,631,000 people taking welfare, or the 150,026,000 getting some type of federal benefit other than veterans' benefits?

Well, the CIA World Factbook says there are 142,470,272 people in Russia. So, the 150,026,000 people getting non-veterans federal benefits in the United States at the end of 2012 outnumbered all the people in Russia.

63,742,977 people live in the United Kingdom and 44,291,413 live in the Ukraine, says the CIA. So, the combined 108,034,390 people in these two nations was about 1,596,610 less than 109,631,000 collecting welfare in the United States.

It may be more telling, however, to compare the 109,631,000 Americans taking federal welfare benefits at the end of 2012 to Americans categorized by other characteristics.

In 2012, according to the Census Bureau, there were 103,087,000 full-time year-round workers in the United States (including 16,606,000 full-time year-round government workers). Thus, the welfare-takers outnumbered full-time year-round workers by 6,544,000.

California, the nation's most-populated state, contained an estimated 38,332,521 people in 2013, says the Census Bureau. Texas had 26,448,193 people, New York had 19,651,127, and Florida had 19,552,860. But the combined 103,984,701 people in these four massive states still fell about 5,646,299 short of the 109,631,000 people on welfare.

In the fourth quarter of 2008, when President Obama was elected, there were 96,197,000 people living in households taking benefits from one or more federal welfare programs. After four years, by the fourth quarter of 2012, that had grown by 13,434,000.

Those 13,434,000 additional people on welfare outnumbered the 12,882,135 people the Census Bureau estimated lived in Obama's home state of Illinois in 2013.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It also doesn't address the crony-capitalist businesses on government welfare of one kind or another - subsidies, bailouts, and protection from competition.

All combined it's a wonder the economy hasn't collapsed already.

Think how wealthy we would be if all of that burden were lifted. Boggles the mind.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post

Think how wealthy we would be if all of that burden were lifted. Boggles the mind.
    Think about how wealthy some of us would be...

The rich and poor are all being supported by a dwindling middle class. Yeah, this is gonna end well.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Welfare is only one means tested program. The figure counts everybody in a household if even one person in the house is receiving any benefits.

109,631,000 Americans lived in households that received benefits from one or more federally funded "means-tested programs" — also known as welfare — as of the fourth quarter of 2012, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau.
    Family of five living with Grannie and Grannie is on Social Secuity? Counts not as one but as six people receiving benefits. Same family- child receives a subsidized lunch at school- counts as five people getting benefits. It overstates reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Welfare is only one means tested program. The figure counts everybody in a household if even one person in the house is receiving any benefits.

Family of five living with Grannie and Grannie is on Social Secuity? Counts not as one but as six people receiving benefits. Same family- child receives a subsidized lunch at school- counts as five people getting benefits. It overstates reality.
    if one person is receiving benefits in the house the odds are the whole damn troop is. furthermore, if it was only one person in the home getting handouts the other degenerates benefit from this also. Many of these people are living on their own because they can do so with such good benefits....section 8....etc
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Be that as it may, it's not as though 109,631,000 people share a single household with one person receiving means-tested benefits.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    if one person is receiving benefits in the house the odds are the whole damn troop is. furthermore, if it was only one person in the home getting handouts the other degenerates benefit from this also. Many of these people are living on their own because they can do so with such good benefits....section 8....etc
    My wife and I are moving in with my parents within a month. I got a 10% pay cut due to lack of business, my wife is getting laid off due to her company being taken over by AT&T, and we have two children, one of which had two heart surgeries and absolutely demands that we purchase health insurance (which will terminate when my wife's job ends - also, not once did the medical staff or social workers mention Obamacare as an option when we notified them that our insurance will terminate - lol).

But I still have to pay taxes and get bent over the barrel to support other people getting food, homes, etc. $#@! these people.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    My wife and I are moving in with my parents within a month. I got a 10% pay cut due to lack of business, my wife is getting laid off due to her company being taken over by AT&T, and we have two children, one of which had two heart surgeries and absolutely demands that we purchase health insurance (which will terminate when my wife's job ends - also, not once did the medical staff or social workers mention Obamacare as an option when we notified them that our insurance will terminate - lol).

But I still have to pay taxes and get bent over the barrel to support other people getting food, homes, etc. $#@! these people.
    This is not a bad thing, being with your parents for support. The welfare system has destroyed the family and ridiculed the family bond.
    stay strong.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Any of your relatives retired and on Social Security or Medicare?

The rising tide lifts all the ships.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Screw that question. Where's my Section 8 house? And not one of those little houses in the ghetto; I want a Johnson County, Kansas house. It's my right.
    -Stannis Baratheon

You can buy a house in Buffalo NY for only $1. http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/08/1...bandoned-homes Fixer- upper.

Zippy splitting hairs again? There's a shocker. And then this?:

You can buy a house in Buffalo NY for only $1. http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/08/1...bandoned-homes Fixer- upper.
    WTF is wrong with you? Because of the $#@!ing central planners you happily shill for, Phil's wife has lost her job, he's gotten a paycut, they have to move in with his parents, he also has a very sick baby which he has to pay unnecessarily high prices to treat, and all you can think to do is crack $#@!ing wise? Are you $#@!ing serious?! (Will someone please neg rep that trolling prog SOB for me? I'm outta...)

Phil, I am so sorry to hear that, and please let us know if we can help in any way.

It is a reasonable bet, however, that with the implementation of Obamacare — with its provisions expanding Medicaid and providing health-insurance subsidies to people earning up to 400 percent of poverty — that if we have not already surpassed that point (not counting those getting veterans benefits) we soon will.
    It has:

We've Crossed The Tipping Point; Most Americans Now Receive Government Benefits
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-tipping-point

Obamacare has pushed us over the entitlements tipping point. In 2011 some 49.2 percent of U.S. households received benefits from one or more government programs—about 151 million out of an estimated 306.8 million Americans—according to U.S. Census Bureau data released last October.

Currently, around 6 million to 7 million Americans who have signed up for Obamacare are receiving taxpayer-provided subsidies (though the administration’s numbers cannot be trusted, it’s all we have to work with). There are another 3 million who have signed up for Medicaid.

That means some 10 million Americans—or a total of about 161 million—are now getting government subsidies (though the final number might be somewhat lower since some may have been receiving benefits already).

Thus, perhaps 52 percent of U.S. households—more than half—now receive benefits from the government, thanks to President Obama. And Mr. Entitlement is just getting started. If Obamacare is not repealed millions more will join the swelling rolls of those dependent on government handouts.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Well, the CIA World Factbook says there are 142,470,272 people in Russia. So, the 150,026,000 people getting non-veterans federal benefits in the United States at the end of 2012 outnumbered all the people in Russia.
    Does this mean we're #1? USA! USA!
    "The Patriarch"

I think 30% (maybe not) of those on welfare in the United States live in California. That state should be made into another county and people that live there should have to go through the immigration process to move to America.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 08-20-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doesn't include Foreign Aid either......... travesty...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I think 30% of those on welfare in the United States live in California. That state should be made into another county and people that live there should have to go through the immigration process to move to America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    WTF is wrong with you? Because of the $#@!ing central planners you happily shill for, Phil's wife has lost her job, he's gotten a paycut, they have to move in with his parents, he also has a very sick baby which he has to pay unnecessarily high prices to treat, and all you can think to do is crack $#@!ing wise? Are you $#@!ing serious?! (Will someone please neg rep that trolling prog SOB for me? I'm outta...)

Phil, I am so sorry to hear that, and please let us know if we can help in any way.
    ^ Lady Lucille serves the one True King of Westeros, rather than the pretender, Zippy Lannister.

Thank you for your concern, but we will be okay. Fortunately my father is a hero of the private sector with a four-bedroom house (for only two people) and will be able to accommodate us without too much pain. I'm just miffed that about a month after I learned of the 10% salary decrease, my wife is going to get canned (although with the AT&T takeover of Cricket, this was already known as a possibility). It just sucks that my wife's job had the health insurance. Fortunately, my $2 million baby had her surgeries and is doing very well, but we have some follow up appointments since her speech and walking development were somewhat impaired by her previous hospitalization. My wife was hoping to save for a house, but perhaps if I didn't work we would be better off?
    -Stannis Baratheon

They need to add the entire population of Israel to this number.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

LibForestPaul

Screw that question. Where's my Section 8 house? And not one of those little houses in the ghetto; I want a Johnson County, Kansas house. It's my right.
    Learn to say in spanish "I have family, no papers, need food'

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Learn to say in spanish "I have family, no papers, need food'
    Tengo una familia, no papero, necessito uno taco.
    -Stannis Baratheon

4,312,000 Federal Personel
    18,870,000 State Personel http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3410
    13,200,000 Local Gov't Employees

2.440,000 Federal Employes Retirement System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...irement_System
    7,620,000 State Pensions http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk
    1,300,000 Local Gov't Pensions http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

2,840,000 US Armed Forces Retainer Pay
    1,400,000 Active Military http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces
    800,000 Reserve Military

-----

161,250,000 / 309,467,000 =

52.1%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_...States#Federal

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Assumption being that none of those people are in more than one category. And, also, that the original number is retarded as noted earlier.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I think 30% (maybe not) of those on welfare in the United States live in California. That state should be made into another county and people that live there should have to go through the immigration process to move to America.
    CA and TX are both big enough to be split into 2-3 states, and ought to be IMHO. IDK why nobody did that by the time CA entered teh union. The sheer big-ness of both make it impossible to adequately represent all residents (even if we assume that representative republicanism actually works).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

This belongs here:

August 20, 2014

Teacher who showed up for work drunk, high on OxyContin wins unemployment benefits

See more at: http://rare.us/story/teacher-who-sho....HnobXupr.dpuf

Ruling: http://decisions.iowaworkforce.org/ui/2014/07006.E.pdf

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Tengo una familia, no papero, necessito uno taco.
    Tres taco's por favor.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Tres taco's por favor.
    Нельзя, господин.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Tres taco's por favor.
    Yo beso tres tacos del tuna.
    -Stannis Baratheon

^ Lady Lucille serves the one True King of Westeros, rather than the pretender, Zippy Lannister.

Thank you for your concern, but we will be okay. Fortunately my father is a hero of the private sector with a four-bedroom house (for only two people) and will be able to accommodate us without too much pain. I'm just miffed that about a month after I learned of the 10% salary decrease, my wife is going to get canned (although with the AT&T takeover of Cricket, this was already known as a possibility). It just sucks that my wife's job had the health insurance. Fortunately, my $2 million baby had her surgeries and is doing very well, but we have some follow up appointments since her speech and walking development were somewhat impaired by her previous hospitalization. My wife was hoping to save for a house, but perhaps if I didn't work we would be better off?
    This is why you're awesome. Staying so positive in the face of so many challenges. All that, and you're still able to crack me up several times a day.

LOL I do! I am a fan. And if Zippy's a Lannister, then he's the retarded beetle-killing cousin the teevee writers made up.

Last edited by Lucille; 08-21-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    --Albert J. Nock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast