Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Rabbits Pets or Meat?

Are Rabbits Pets or Meat?

I like rabbits, they're delicious.

Among the 873 acres of gently sloping hills and fields of Devil’s Gulch Ranch in Marin County, California, owners Mark Pasternak and Myriam Kaplan-Pasternak grow a lot of grapes and raise a lot of rabbits. But not just any rabbits: Devil’s Gulch is one of the largest rabbit-meat producers in the state and sells to high-end restaurants like Chez Panisse, The French Laundry, and over a hundred others. At the height of their operation, the husband-and-wife pair had 12,000 rabbits, but these days, they keep about 2,000 and process 100 to 300 a week. They average, Mark estimates, about 10,000 a year. They are known for their high-quality meat, and given that Myriam specializes in rabbit veterinary care and nutrition, it’s safe to say they know how to raise bunnies.

The Pasternaks have their hands full with restaurant orders, so they won’t be supplying to Whole Foods—those rabbits come from two large, USDA-certified plants: De Bruin Brothers in Iowa, and another undisclosed processor in Missouri—but they applaud the company’s decision to start selling it.
    Whole Foods’s decision was a response to demand, she says, but they're only going to end up creating more of it by putting it in their stores.

“I don’t think it would be a bad thing if it did normalize or get the American public to eat it more,” Mark says. Rabbit may not be very popular in this country, but if you’re going to eat meat, he points out, it’s one of the better options out there, nutritionally and environmentally speaking.

Rabbits are easy to raise and butcher in your backyard, they’re light on the environment—producing six pounds of rabbit meat requires the same amount of food and water as it takes to produce one pound of cow meat—and their meat is lean and low in cholesterol. The biggest drawback of rabbit meat has traditionally been the struggle to find it in stores, a point Modern Farmer writer Karin Pinchin makes in an article that ponders whether rabbit is the new "super meat." With Whole Foods taking on the role of supplier, this might not be a problem anymore.

But Margo DeMello, a professor of cultural anthropology at Canisius College, is convinced grocery stores shouldn't sell rabbit meat. DeMello, who is the president of the House Rabbit Society and a co-author of the book Stories Rabbits Tell, says it's a problem that stores carry the meat of “an animal that has been embraced as a pet in millions of American households.” Sure, Whole Foods’s decision was a response to demand, she says, but they're only going to end up creating more of it by putting it in their stores.

“Right now, it’s five regions, but eventually, if this pilot program is successful, it’s going to be all the regions,” she says. “And if that is successful, then the other stores are going to say, ‘Hey, we want to get in on the action!’” Whole Foods is a self-proclaimed industry leader in rabbit meat, and DeMello and her allies fear it won’t be long before factory-farmed rabbits start popping up everywhere.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...r-meat/378757/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had a reason to ask the same exact question recently and the answer is both, some rabbits are pets and some are meat.

They're food in my house.

Ask RabbitMan
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Are Rabbits Pets or Meat?

Yes.
    They are versatile like that.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I had a reason to ask the same exact question recently and the answer is both, some rabbits are pets and some are meat.
    When I was little my Dad built a pen and started raising rabbits, I loved them and thought they were the cutest things ever but my Dad had other ideas about them and he and my brothers killed them and tanned their hides. My brother gave me the hide of my favorite bunny like that was suppose to make me feel better. I ate them but I never played with them again.

The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Eat 'em they're meat, name 'em they're pets.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a hard time killing animals especially if I have raised them. I haven't ever killed an animal in my life but I have dressed many of them. But I guess it would depend on how hungry I am or how many people are dependent on me for food. If my grand children were starving and I did not have any food to give them I would do what ever is necessary to find them something to eat.

sometimes they are just vermin
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

For me, pets. I would pass on eating a rabbit. Just as I wouldn't eat a dog, cat or horse. (I'm not saying they're as intelligent as those other animals, I'm just saying that I think of them as pets.)
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I like rabbits, they're delicious.
    All pets are meat. Done right all of them are delicious.

I have eaten wild rabbits but I'd kill to protect the ones I keep as pets.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I have eaten wild rabbits but I'd kill to protect the ones I keep as pets.
    My cats do that on occasion.. I had pretty well broken the dogs from chasing them.

They are everywhere,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

We had both at one time. I told my girls the rabbits were for food. The bunnies were pets.

They didn't like it when I tried to name one of their pets hasenpfeffer.

All pets are potential ways of food storage for SHTF.

For me, food. Delicious food.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    My cats do that on occasion.. I had pretty well broken the dogs from chasing them.

They are everywhere,
    We used to have a HUGE flop-ear pet, I called her Bunzilla. She used to chase the dogs.

Wow, sounds like it is time to make a trip to Whole Foods. I hope the bunny industry doesn't go too far in the way of factory farming, I want my bunnies free range.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

They're cat food around here.... spread $10 50# bag of corn 3X a year. Cat eats for free

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow, sounds like it is time to make a trip to Whole Foods. I hope the bunny industry doesn't go too far in the way of factory farming, I want my bunnies free range.
    Me too

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/depa...?__federated=1

Quote Originally Posted by agitator View Post
    Pets!

That's Penthouse. Them are bunnies! WOCKA, WOCKA!
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 08-20-2014 at 03:28 PM.

But Margo DeMello, a professor of cultural anthropology at Canisius College, is convinced grocery stores shouldn't sell rabbit meat. DeMello, who is the president of the House Rabbit Society and a co-author of the book Stories Rabbits Tell, says it's a problem that stores carry the meat of “an animal that has been embraced as a pet in millions of American households.” Sure, Whole Foods’s decision was a response to demand, she says, but they're only going to end up creating more of it by putting it in their stores.

“Right now, it’s five regions, but eventually, if this pilot program is successful, it’s going to be all the regions,” she says. “And if that is successful, then the other stores are going to say, ‘Hey, we want to get in on the action!’” Whole Foods is a self-proclaimed industry leader in rabbit meat, and DeMello and her allies fear it won’t be long before factory-farmed rabbits start popping up everywhere.
    1) How does a cultural anthropologist go about speculating about economics?

2) Why is it a "problem"?

3) People who want rabbit meat are probably also conscious of the problems of factory farming. I doubt that there is any demand for factory farmed rabbit.

4) Chickens and pigs can be "pets," too. That doesn't mean they are any less tasty.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

5) All other things being equal.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But Margo DeMello, a professor of cultural anthropology at Canisius College, is convinced grocery stores shouldn't sell rabbit meat. DeMello, who is the president of the House Rabbit Society and a co-author of the book Stories Rabbits Tell, says it's a problem that stores carry the meat of “an animal that has been embraced as a pet in millions of American households.”
    If the standard is offending someone who calls your dinner their pet, then these same people should also be asking to remove beef and pork.

Moo-ve Over Fido: A New Pet's in Town

Paris Hilton Has Piggy Bed Fellow

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Penthouse adopted Playboy's bunny theme? Huh. I did not know. They both became very boring in the 90s, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Playboy Bunnies.

I'd say both. You can also eat Bunnies.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by agitator View Post
    Pets!

Definitely MEAT. Yummy.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Well. I don't know. Maybe just pet the lil feller for a while before you eat him up.

My mom used to get rabbits being offered in the papers that were "free to a good home"... Even the old ones cooked right were tasty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast