Thread: Awake within a dream: Lucid dreamers show greater insight in waking life

Awake within a dream: Lucid dreamers show greater insight in waking life

Awake within a dream: Lucid dreamers show greater insight in waking life

Date:August 12, 2014

Source:University of Lincoln

People who are aware they are asleep when they are dreaming have better than average problem-solving abilities, new research has discovered.

Experts from the University of Lincoln, UK, say that those who experience 'lucid dreaming' -- a phenomenon where someone who is asleep can recognise that they are dreaming -- can solve problems in the waking world better than those who remain unaware of the dream until they wake up.

The concept of lucid dreaming was explored in the 2010 film Inception, where the dreamers were able to spot incongruities within their dream. It is thought some people are able to do this because of a higher level of insight, meaning their brains detect they are in a dream because events would not make sense otherwise.

This cognitive ability translates to the waking world when it comes to finding the solution to a problem by spotting hidden connections or inconsistencies, researchers say.

The research by Dr Patrick Bourke, Senior Lecturer at the Lincoln School of Psychology, is the first empirical study demonstrating the relationship between lucid dreaming and insight.

He said: "It is believed that for dreamers to become lucid while asleep, they must see past the overwhelming reality of their dream state, and recognise that they are dreaming.

"The same cognitive ability was found to be demonstrated while awake by a person's ability to think in a different way when it comes to solving problems."

The study examined 68 participants aged between 18 and 25 who had experienced different levels of lucid dreaming, from never to several times a month. They were asked to solve 30 problems designed to test insight. Each problem consisted of three words and a solution word.

Each of the three words could be combined with the solution word to create a new compound word. For example with the words 'sand', 'mile' and 'age', the linking word would be 'stone'.

Results showed that frequent lucid dreamers solved 25 per cent more of the insight problems than the non-lucid dreamers.

Dr Bourke was assisted with the study by student Hannah Shaw who has since graduated.

The research, called "Spontaneous Lucid Dreaming and Waking Insight," was published in the American Psychological Association's journal, Dreaming.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0812121839.htm

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is possible to develop lucid dreaming as a skill. This is the bible on the subject: http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Worl...lucid+dreaming

It is even possible to pass from the waking state into the dream state without losing consciousness. And that transition is really strange.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I used to actively lucid dream. It's a skill that requires intent and practice. But once there, it's an amazing thing to behold. I really need to get back into it.

Row, row, row your boat
    Gently down the stream,
    Merrily merrily, merrily, merrily

Life is but a dream

I do that, I used to have horrible nightmares and my Dad told me to remember it's just a dream and say that to myself when I get scared. It takes a little practice at first, it's hard to hear your inner voice through the fear, but it works. I quit having the nightmares and forgot all about that little trick until last April when my son got his learners permit. I dreamed he died in a car accident and in the middle of freaking out I remembered I was dreaming. I never wake up and said, oh it's just a dream, I stay asleep and wake up going WTF?

Oddly enough, It doesn't work when I dream about my husband pissing me off - I usually wake up mad at him.

As far as having greater insight in my waking life, I'm not so sure about that.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread this movie popped into my head: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I've done it. Got to the point of flying by will. It took some effort. A bit of self hypnotism before sleep. Haven't had the chance to pursue it again in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I've done it. Got to the point of flying by will. It took some effort. A bit of self hypnotism before sleep. Haven't had the chance to pursue it again in decades.
    I remember one of my stumbling blocks was trying to sex up beautiful women I encountered...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    I remember one of my stumbling blocks was trying to sex up beautiful women I encountered...
    The "que" I entered was one of forces trying to draw me down. The propulsion I was working on was similar to Iron Man's. Pulses from feet and hands. This was before the movies but I had read the comics. I could get to the point where I could use the pulse to get air borne. Then while airborne I would just float. Like a balloon. All the while there was a crowd below me that wished me harm. So I would float just above them as they tried to grab me..escaping their reach then coming within fingertip reach.
    Eventually I learned the "Iron man" technique and could, with effort, do what I wanted.

Funny I do this all the time.....and I love to solve or fix things. I was a debugger when I was on a coding team. Cool
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

And?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    And?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

The dream would end.

Lucid dream blue balls?!?! Dayuuum, that's harsh.

The dream would end.

Scientists may have found the part of the brain that enables lucid dreaming
    People who are aware, and often in control, during their dreams have one thing in common, researchers have found.

Do a quick Google search for lucid dreaming - the phenomenon where someone is aware during their dreams - and you'll quickly be overwhelmed with tips and techniques for unlocking the ability.

Despite lucid dreaming being relatively rare in most people, knowing when you're dreaming and potentially even being able to change the course of your dreams is clearly desirable to a lot of people.

Now scientists from Germany believe they may have found the neurological key to the ability. After scanning the brains of regular dreamers and those who are frequently lucid, they've found that the region of the brain that enables self reflection is larger among lucid dreamers.

"Our results indicate that self-reflection in everyday life is more pronounced in persons who can easily control their dreams," said Elisa Filevich, a research at the Centre for Lifespan Psychology at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development, who was one of the leaders of the research, in a press release.

Although research has previously shown that people who lucid dream appear to have more pronounced awareness of their own thought processes, known as metacognition, this is one of the first studies to explore the link between the two at a neural level.

To do this, the team asked volunteers to complete a questionnaire on their lucid dreaming ability, and then split them into two groups depending on whether they were highly lucid, or never or rarely lucid during dreams.

The team then performed structural and functional MRI scans on the two different groups to compare the volume of different regions of their brains.

What they found was that participants who were highly lucid during dreams had larger anterior prefrontal cortexes, which is the region of the brain that controls conscious cognitive processes and plays an important role in our ability to self reflect.

The team also took scans while the participants were solving waking self awareness tests. The scans revealed that lucid dreamers also had more brain activity happening in their prefrontal cortex than regular dreamers. This suggests that the same brain region is connected to both abilities. Their research has now been published in The Journal of Neuroscience.

"Our results indicate that self-reflection in everyday life is more pronounced in persons who can easily control their dreams," said Filevich in the release.

The researchers are now eager to find out whether these self awareness skills can be taught. Their next study will attempt to teach volunteers to lucid dream, and then see whether their self-reflection also improves as a result.

As someone who’s had plenty of lucid dreams myself, I’m still not entirely sure of the appeal. All the dreams that I'm lucid during, and particularly those I have some control over, are frustrating and exhausting and feel more like a mental marathon than rest.

But I can’t deny that it’s fascinating to discover more about how our brains work - both when we’re awake, and during sleep. Even if it is occasionally nice to have a little escape from awareness.

You can find out more about the science of lucid dreaming thanks to the guys over at AsapSCIENCE.

http://www.sciencealert.com/chemists...-unboil-an-egg