Thread: What Rand Paul Can Teach The Republican Party About Race

What Rand Paul Can Teach The Republican Party About Race

What Rand Paul Can Teach The Republican Party About Race

By JACK HUNTER
    August 19, 2014

In his Washington Post column Monday, former George W. Bush speechwriter Michael Gerson insists that Rand Paul—the Kentucky senator, and my former boss—is “no Jack Kemp” when it comes to Republican minority outreach.

Gerson’s reasons? Lingering confusion about where Paul stands on the Civil Rights Act. The senator’s allegedly troubling libertarian philosophy. Paul’s preference for smaller federal budgets. The fact that Paul used to employ a former radio shock-jock who said stupid and offensive things about Abraham Lincoln (that aide was me).

This is the worst sort of navel-gazing.

Kemp was known for reaching out to African Americans more than any other Republican of his generation.

There is no Republican doing this more today than Rand Paul.

read more:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...l#.U_QDf8VdXTo

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    good stuff at the end

I’ve done my own reckoning with my past—maybe it’s time for Gerson to do some soul-searching of his own. After all, as George W. Bush’s top speechwriter, he helped reportedly helped inject the “mushroom cloud” scenario and “yellow-cake to Niger” language into the president’s speeches—the same language that helped scare the nation into going to war with Iraq in 2003.

Jack Kemp was one of the few high profile Republicans who possessed the wisdom and foresight to oppose that intervention. Said Kemp in 2003, “it would be a tragedy if a few war hawks pushed us into an unnecessary invasion and occupation of an Arab country.”

I will regret the stupid things I said as the “Southern Avenger” for the rest of my life and have denounced them. I do not know if Michael Gerson feels remorse for the damaging and misleading language he has helped craft—words that led to the national tragedy Jack Kemp warned us about.

But let’s leave Jack Kemp out of this. Fine, Rand Paul is not Jack Kemp. But no Republican today is doing more to honor and continue Kemp’s legacy of trying to bridge the longstanding gulf between black America and the Republican Party. We should be applauding him—not tearing him down.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jct74 again.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

God bless Jack Hunter
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

If you are to pander to a group of people... be sincere and offer something that will help them, not screw them over.