Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How exactly was "Life better in the past"?

The food sucks now where as back "then" it was not laden with all kinds of chemicals and God only knows what.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    They didn't move up, they didn't have any blue collar opportunities so they are on the dole now.
    not having blue collar opportunities is BAD THING?

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Your logic fails again. "Better", being subjective, is a matter of personal view. You may prefer this world. Others prefer what was, overall. That does not imply that everything about one era was better than another.
    It doesn't need to be all, just more than less. And yes, it is subjective, which is why I am not saying anybody is wrong, I just want to hear their WHY, and express any agreements/disagreements.
    Last edited by PRB; 08-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    The food sucks now where as back "then" it was not laden with all kinds of chemicals and God only knows what.

Yeah- it sucks that now you can find lettuce and advocados and tomatoes any time of the year. Used to be they were unavailable in winter. Food selection and availablity is higher than ever. Food costs less now too. Families used to spend one third of their income on food- today it is down to eleven percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Yeah- it sucks that now you can find lettuce and advocados and tomatoes any time of the year. Used to be they were unavailable in winter. Food selection and availablity is higher than ever. Food costs less now too. Families used to spend one third of their income on food- today it is down to eleven percent.
    I mean, just walk into a grocery store and look at how long their ice cream section is. There is now more than a hundred kinds of ice cream at any major grocery store, and that's just one product. The level of consumer choice is unbelievable.

Back to Trivial Pursuit, I see.

$#@! liberty, sound money, and the whole middle class. Because raspberry cookie dough ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    It doesn't need to be all, just more than less. And yes, it is subjective, which is why I am not saying anybody is wrong, I just want to hear their WHY, and express any agreements/disagreements.
    Not that you've agreed even once. Despite soliciting opinions from people who were there.

You're really not getting paid for this? 'Cause most people who know nothing about a subject, yet stubbornly maintain a strong opinion about it, are getting paid to do so. Or, at least, the sane ones are.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-20-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    There are numerically objective bases that support the fact that people were relatively wealthier in, say, 1960 than they are today.
    Oh really?

Is it something other than "% of salary it costs to get a gallon of gas, car, house"? while ignoring cars are more fuel efficient, more people are driving cars, more demand exists for houses, places where there's higher population density, houses cost more per square feet, oh yeah, are housing costs compared by cost per sq ft or just total?

Oh really?

Is it something other than "% of salary it costs to get a gallon of gas, car, house"? while ignoring cars are more fuel efficient, more people are driving cars, more demand exists for houses, places where there's higher population density, houses cost more per square feet, oh yeah, are housing costs compared by cost per sq ft or just total?
    Are you sure there aren't any more nits you'd like to pick? Because some of us have asked you several questions you've yet to acknowledge, much less answer, in your zeal to cross examine osan on this particular one percent of his total testimony...

Or is trying to have an adult conversation considered hijacking in one of your threads?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-20-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Are you sure there aren't any more nits you'd like to pick?
    No, I'm not sure.

Because some of us have asked you several questions you've yet to acknowledge, much less answer, in your zeal to cross examine osan on this particular one percent of his total testimony...
    Point them to me again please, if I missed it.
    Or is trying to have an adult conversation considered hijacking in one of your threads?
    no, didn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    I mean, just walk into a grocery store and look at how long their ice cream section is. There is now more than a hundred kinds of ice cream at any major grocery store, and that's just one product. The level of consumer choice is unbelievable.
    And hundreds of choices in the Bread department and Produce sections. Cheeses and meats in the Deli. Available fresh all year 'round. Sure there are bad (or "less healthy") options- but also more good ones. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing- and choice is greater than ever. At a lower percent of your income.

100 years ago you might not have had a car or telephone- two things folks today believe they can't live without.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-20-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Point them to me again please, if I missed it.
    Among adults, it is generally considered polite to read your own damned thread.

as stated above that cars are more fuel efficient now is wrong , the only new car i have bought was a 1963 corvair , i got 28-30 mpg , also the only thing that stopped the 50's/60's cars was the lousy tires .

look around now at cars on towing/wreckers , they are all new , you can buy a new car now and there is a chance the electronics could go bad before you went around the block .

"Because raspberry cookie dough ice cream."

Here here!

hahahaha that was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Back to Trivial Pursuit, I see.

$#@! liberty, sound money, and the whole middle class. Because raspberry cookie dough ice cream.

Not that you've agreed even once. Despite soliciting opinions from people who were there.

You're really not getting paid for this? 'Cause most people who know nothing about a subject, yet stubbornly maintain a strong opinion about it, are getting paid to do so. Or, at least, the sane ones are.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Yeah, don't you miss those days when you didn't have these choices?

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    as stated above that cars are more fuel efficient now is wrong , the only new car i have bought was a 1963 corvair , i got 28-30 mpg , also the only thing that stopped the 50's/60's cars was the lousy tires .

look around now at cars on towing/wreckers , they are all new , you can buy a new car now and there is a chance the electronics could go bad before you went around the block .
    if that's true, then that's less reason to buy a brand new car, isn't it?

you're also ignoring the invention of hybrids and electric cars.

And hundreds of choices in the Bread department and Produce sections. Cheeses and meats in the Deli. Available fresh all year 'round. Sure there are bad (or "less healthy") options- but also more good ones. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing- and choice is greater than ever. At a lower percent of your income.

100 years ago you might not have had a car or telephone- two things folks today believe they can't live without.
    Can anybody prove him wrong and say they can live without these things?

The 1996 Buick Roadmaster was the last of the true station wagons.
    It seated 8, had 260hp, could tow a boat, and got 17 city/ 25 highway.

It was made illegal by federal fleet mileage standards for cars. Now we all have to buy SUVs if we want to be able to take our entire family to the grocery store and come back with the groceries we buy.

Now the onus is on you: go find me a brand new car that has 260hp, seats 8, has ample storage space, can tow a boat, and gets 17/25 or better.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    The 1996 Buick Roadmaster was the last of the true station wagons.
    It seated 8, had 260hp, could tow a boat, and got 17 city/ 25 highway.

It was made illegal by federal fleet mileage standards for cars.
    Can you tell us why?

And were cars getting better up until 1996?

you're also ignoring the invention of hybrids and electric cars.
    yes , that's why i have only owned one new car in my life , i have seen hybrids being towed . i do think electric cars to run around town would be great , ever golf carts . i have no idea what the batteries in a tesla cost .

Prior to Nov 2013 I'd never listened to your drivel So...life, for me, was indeed better in the past.

Can you tell us why?
    He told you why.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Prior to Nov 2013 I'd never listened to your drivel So...life, for me, was indeed better in the past.
    I don't know. Life might be measurably improved by the internet. Drivel is often accompanied by dribble. The 'net does protect you from the latter.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I didn't force you to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    yes , that's why i have only owned one new car in my life , i have seen hybrids being towed . i do think electric cars to run around town would be great , ever golf carts . i have no idea what the batteries in a tesla cost .
    so you're not the guy who will be complaining to me cars supposedly cost more now, since you don't buy them.

I didn't force you to listen.
    Train wrecks don't force me to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Curse you! Do you know how many times I had to listen to that song as a child?!

Rule was whoever drove decided what was on the radio. Dad loved the Judds.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Can you tell us why?

And were cars getting better up until 1996?
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...eo_Metro.shtml
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Curse you! Do you know how many times I had to listen to that song as a child?!

Rule was whoever drove decided what was on the radio. Dad loved the Judds.
    Funny, first time I heard it on the radio I was 13 or so. It moved me, and I wished they would play more songs like it. Only heard it once or twice since then. I am old fashioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Funny, first time I heard it on the radio I was 13 or so. It moved me, and I wished they would play more songs like it. Only heard it once or twice since then. I am old fashioned.
    We went on a family vacation a few years ago and a nearby hotel had an outdoor karaoke night. Me and my siblings (now with kids of our own) sang it in honor of "grandpa" and my parents bawled.

In the past, paying for anything was more affordable. Gas, food, utilities, etc.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast