Thread: Kroger Under Fire From Gun-Control Moms

Kroger Under Fire From Gun-Control Moms

Here's the photo that accompanied the story, I think I've seen this photo on RPF before.

An Open Carry Texas supporter shopping at a Kroger store in Texas.

The fight over whether shoppers should be allowed to tote guns openly in American businesses is about to spill into the aisles of Kroger, the nation's largest supermarket chain.

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a national gun control organization backed by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, will kick off a campaign on Monday that seeks to pressure the grocery giant to ban the open carry of firearms in all of its nearly 2,500 stores. The moms' group decided to take action in response to recent demonstrations by open carry activists in Kroger stores in Ohio and Texas, and after conducting research that identified more than a dozen shootings on Kroger property since 2012, said Erika Soto Lamb, a spokeswoman.

"Kroger employees shouldn't have to determine whether the person holding a gun in the frozen aisle is someone dangerous or someone making a political statement," Lamb said.

Open carry activists seek to force broader social acceptance of guns in public. Disciples of the movement wear guns while shopping or dining out. Tension over this practice has flared up in several states, especially Texas, where openly carrying a handgun in public is banned, but carrying long rifles is not. (On Friday, Open Carry Texas canceled a planned walk through a historically black neighborhood in Houston after residents protested).

Moms Demand Action, which was formed in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, school massacre, has seized on open carry as an effective issue to rally support for one of its ambitions: to limit the prevalence of guns in public places. The group has cleverly leveraged the power of social media, distributing photos of people armed with assault rifles in popular dining chains, and betting that the sometimes jarring images will prompt companies to react.

The gun control group has also circulated online petitions and staged several rallies outside of retailers.

The strategy has worked.

In recent months, Chipotle, Starbucks, Target, Sonic, Chili's, Jack In The Box and others have enacted no-gun policies.

These policies stop short of outright bans, but each company has announced that guns are no longer welcome in stores.

Given the current political climate, in which even overwhelmingly popular proposals like expanded background checks can't gain any legislative traction, what the gun control activists have accomplished via low-budget Twitter and Facebook campaigns is impressive.

In taking on Kroger, Moms Demand Action seeks to force the biggest grocery chain in the U.S. to take a stance on guns, something few major companies want to do.

Contacted on Friday, company spokesman Keith Dailey said the grocery chain had no plans to change existing policy, which is to abide by state and local laws.

"Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun," Dailey said. "We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores."

In a letter sent to Kroger CEO Michael Ellis last week, Moms Demand Action founder Shannon Watts said those existing laws aren't sufficient to keep customers safe.

"In most states, gun laws are exceedingly lax, especially when it comes to the open carry of firearms," Watts wrote. "In many states, virtually anyone can openly carry a loaded gun without going through any licensing, permitting or training."

Moms Demand Action has logged a dozen shootings that have taken place inside a Kroger or in the parking lot of one since 2012.

In June 2013, a 2-year-old girl was shot in a Kroger parking lot in Stone Mountain, Georgia, after a customer tried to intervene in an attempted mugging.

In February, in another incident in Georgia, a 42-year-old man shot and wounded two Kroger customers at a store in Lawrenceville, east of Atlanta.

It's impossible to say whether these incidents would have happened if Kroger were to advertise a no-gun policy. Gun advocates are quick to note that criminals are unlikely to abide by polite requests to leave their guns at home.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...cs&ir=Politics

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Here's the photo that accompanied the story, I think I've seen this photo on RPF before.

I found it!
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ghlight=kroger

Does not cause me anxiety...

Causes anxiety...

I openly carry at our local Kroger all the time. The only attention I have ever gotten has been praise and "me too, see?"
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I am pro-gun, but I am of the opinion that this "open-carry" fad does not help our cause at all. I know the intention is to normalize people to the presence of guns, but this is just scaring normal people away.

I always use an HEB while in Texas . The Kroger nearest me @ home has the highest prices I have ever seen in my home state so I never use it .

Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    I am pro-gun, but I am of the opinion that this "open-carry" fad does not help our cause at all. I know the intention is to normalize people to the presence of guns, but this is just scaring normal people away.
    Agree. It is really one of the best means I can think of for getting private property owners to ban guns. Stupid show-offs hurting everyone with their stunts.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    This.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    WINNER !

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Isn't that Kory Watkins?

Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    It is not a fad.
    It once was considered common. (concealed carry was considered deceitful)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    WINNER !

The pic on the right is not allowed in Texas. (open carry of handguns is Illegal)

That is what these "demonstrations" have been ALL about.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-19-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Bloomberg is a mother?
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO