Thread: 7 Best Natural Sweeteners

7 Best Natural Sweeteners

Has anyone ever tried any of these?

Artificial sweeteners may not have any calories, but that's about all they have going for them.

Many have a hollow, saccharine taste, and they play havoc with your weight, appetite, and general wellbeing, making them just as bad as the sugar you're trying to replace.

So now's the time to ditch them completely, and turn to nature instead, with these seven amazingly tasty and surprisingly healthy natural sweeteners.You don't have to rely on artificial sweeteners in your coffee to give up sugar (REX)You don't have to rely on artificial sweeteners in your coffee to give up sugar (REX)

Stevia

The latest sugar-free saviour, this 100 per cent natural, zero calorie sweetener made from a South American plant seems to have it all. Far from being just another healthy alternative to sugar, it can lead to reduced blood pressure, improved heart health, and a generally improved quality of life, according to a Chinese study published in Clinical Therapeutics.

In its powdered form stevia is extremely sweet so you need far smaller quantities than sugar. If you find the taste to be over the top look for the extract in its milder liquid offering.Stevia plants are being cultivated for its use to replace sugarStevia plants are being cultivated for its use to replace sugar

Yacon syrup

South Americans have been using the Yacon plant for its medicinal purposes for centuries, and now scientists have discovered that the plant’s syrup is one of the healthiest natural sweeteners out there.

In a study published in Clinical Nutrition, Yacon syrup was shown to accelerate weight loss, reduce constipation, and lower cholesterol. The health secret behind Yacon syrup is its high level of fructooligosaccharides (I like that word), which boost the development of good bacteria in your intestine.

Rapadura sugar

When you hear that it’s the pure juice extracted from sugarcane, you could be forgiven for thinking that Rapadura sugar would be bad for you. Thankfully for the sweet-tooths amongst you, the opposite is true.

A single serving of Rapadura on your cereal in the morning will provide up to 1,000mg of potassium and 110mg of calcium, which both improve bone health and cardiovascular functionality.

Rapadura also retains a healthy balance of fructose, sucrose and glucose, which means it’s much easier for the body to digest it and use it as energy compared to regular sugar.

Date sugar

Most healthy sweeteners out there claim to have antioxidant qualities, but a 2009 study at the Biochemistry Department of Virginia Tech found that wasn’t quite the case, with only two of twelve observed sweeteners displaying antioxidant levels higher than regular sugar.

Date sugar, a powder made from dehydrated dates, ranked highest, with 600 times the antioxidant level of sugar. Date sugar is also packed with essential minerals including iron and calcium, and because it’s so sweet you can get away with using around half the amount when compared to sugar.

Blackstrap molasses

Blackstrap molasses can offer an alternative to sugar (REX)Blackstrap molasses can offer an alternative to sugar (REX)

While date sugar came out on top as the undisputed antioxidant king in the Virginia Tech study, blackstrap molasses came in at a close second, providing nearly 30 per cent of your daily recommended amount of antioxidants in one tablespoon.

As a by-product of the sugarcane refinement process, blackstrap molasses retains the majority of the nutritional content removed by refinement, including high levels of iron, calcium, selenium and vitamin B6.

Monk fruit extract

As the name suggests, monk fruit was originally cultivated by holy men in China and Thailand around 800 years ago, who used it for its healing powers. Monk fruit is unique in that its sweetness is not actually caused by sugars, but instead by a rare type of antioxidant compound called mogroside that gives a sweet taste and the added bonus of strengthening the immune system.

The extract form of monk fruit has only recently been popularised, so make sure you opt for the 100 per cent natural version, as there are some brand name versions that combine the extract with artificial sweeteners.
    Tagatose

Found in milk and some cheeses, tagatose is a natural sweetener with half the calories of sugar, and practically the same levels of sweetness. One of the newer sweeteners on the scene, tagatose has become increasingly popular in health food circles because it doesn’t leave an unpleasant aftertaste like many natural sweeteners do.

That’s not to say it’s just a good choice because of its taste though. Research published in the Journal of Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism found that tagatose helps to balance blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes, and increase weight loss and levels of high-density lipoprotein (‘good cholesterol’) amongst obese people.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/7-best-nat...080019028.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    None of my primary sweeteners were mentioned:

Evaporated Cane Juice
    Agave Nectar
    Sorghum
    Honey

I tried stevia for coffee... just doesn't get me where I'm going. We add blackstrap to our homebrew, and use it in baking, and banana slurpees.

The only thing we use white sugar for is feeding the hummingbirds... and I kinda feel evil doing it.

We get organic pitted dates from the local health food store; I suspect date sugar is about the same; reminds me of those sugar daddy candies you'd get at halloween many moons back.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    None of my primary sweeteners were mentioned:

Evaporated Cane Juice
    Agave Nectar
    Sorghum
    Honey

I tried stevia for coffee... just doesn't get me where I'm going. We add blackstrap to our homebrew, and use it in baking, and banana slurpees.

The only thing we use white sugar for is feeding the hummingbirds... and I kinda feel evil doing it.

We get organic pitted dates from the local health food store; I suspect date sugar is about the same; reminds me of those sugar daddy candies you'd get at halloween many moons back.
    I love sorghum syrup with biscuits.

I find the bitter licorice aftertaste of stevia to be unpleasant. I generally don't use sweetener, but if I do I use erythritol.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Stevia on its own can be bitter so it is often combined with other sweeteners- sugar or synthetic sweeteners. Read the label to be sure what it is being used with.

I like raw honey, and raw sugar cane.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I love sorghum syrup with biscuits.
    You'd better lay off those things if'n you want to be a tough mudder, Suzanimal.

Nobody has mentioned coconut sugar? It has a better glycemic index than sugar and it also has a lot of good nutrients that sugar is devoid of. Honey and blackstrap molasses have these benefits as well, but there is a stronger accompanying flavor (not always bad).

Stevia is a great zero calorie natural sweetener that will help improve your blood sugar, but it does taste better when it is mixed with other sugars or sugar substitutes. Using less eliminates the bitter aftertaste and you still get some caloried sweetener in there for the sweet flavor you are used to, so you can actually get it to the point where you can't really tell the difference, but whatever you made has about half the calories and improved glycemic index.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    You'd better lay off those things if'n you want to be a tough mudder, Suzanimal.
    I don't eat them often, they're a treat.

Picture of my yacon.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance