Thread: What other issues can Rand hit 'em from the left with?

What other issues can Rand hit 'em from the left with?

So far Rand has done a great job of shifting the conversation on the right, while at the same time proving how hypocritical the DNC really is.

1) Drones
    2) Sentencing Reform/War on Drugs
    3) Police Militarization
    4) Privacy issues/NSA
    5) Non-interventionist Foreign Policy
    6) Asset Forfeiture without Due Process

On all these issues, he has remained true to libertarianism, while shutting up the right (and in some cases, getting them to agree with him) and earning plaudits from the left. This is how he will win, by breaking the right-left paradigm.

What other issues can he take on, which will surprise both right and left (especially the left), but which is a long-held libertarian position?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm looking forward to his bill to reschedule marijuana which he is supposed to be introducing sometime soon.

Maybe Rand can start tweeting out some cop shoot dog stories if he wants to take the police militarization thing a step further.

Probably won't do that though.

access to the justice system for the poor - and even the middle class - would be a good one

legal proceedings are so expensive that the simple filing of litigation itself can be a serious financial punishment

also, access to health care, as people realize that O-care is catastrophic-only policy level coverage at the cost of a full-serve plan - the tens of millions who are cut out of the system by both the government AND the allegedly-private system both, due to costs and not being politically favored enough to have the govt volunteer to pay

Failed racist War on Drugs!

Rand should propose a bill reducing the income tax for the middle class by 10 percent to show he isn't just for rich class tax cuts

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    I'm looking forward to his bill to reschedule marijuana which he is supposed to be introducing sometime soon.
    Is rescheduling marijuana the same thing as repealing the federal ban on marijuana? I think he should just introduce a bill to exclude marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, like Ron introduced. But so far he's not on record as saying that he supports that.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Maybe Rand can start tweeting out some cop shoot dog stories if he wants to take the police militarization thing a step further.

Probably won't do that though.

Its sad that cop-shot-dog is politically inconvenient.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right now would be a great moment to follow up hard on asset forfeiture - another manifestation of a police state drunk with power, and supported by the courts and bogus laws.

In general, I would love to see Rand dig much deeper into the African American experience and really roll up his sleeves there. He should essentially embed himself in the African American community for the next 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Right now would be a great moment to follow up hard on asset forfeiture - another manifestation of a police state drunk with power, and supported by the courts and bogus laws.

In general, I would love to see Rand dig much deeper into the African American experience and really roll up his sleeves there. He should essentially embed himself in the African American community for the next 12 months.
    Excellent idea anaconda.

Eminent Domain.I don't think I have ever seen such a unified objection from both left and right about excessive Government power as I saw when Kelo v. City of New London was decided.

I would also agree about asset forfeiture,even more.I don't think anybody likes that one except police departments.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

hey howabout someone prod him to take up the case of Miriam Carey?

Asset forfeiture is already in the REDEEM act innit?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

He should spend more time targeting Conservative voters now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Well first of all "hit em from the left" is both inaccurate and a great way to turn off the conservative Republicans. Let's not use phrases like that please.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    He should spend more time targeting Conservative voters now.
    Idunno. I mean if possible he should do both of course. But the thing is the Republican voters have repeatedly demonstrated that all they really care about is nominating a candidate who can beat the Democrats. Rand right now is doing a damned good job creating a situation where not only will no one be able to tar him with the "he's unelectable" brush like they did Ron, but in fact no other Republican primary candidate will be able to hold a candle to him in terms of appealing to Democrats and Independents.

Rand is going to offer Republican primary voters a winning ticket not only for the 2016 election but for the long-term goal of overcoming the demographic cliff the GOP is marching toward, and he's going to dare them to turn it down and face certain death.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    hey howabout someone prod him to take up the case of Miriam Carey?
    I like where this is going..

Corporate Welfare.

It's a winner on both sides.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Cuba.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/20/sh...tml?hpt=hp_mid

Beyonce and Jay Z don't have to be "On the Run" anymore.
    A nine-page report released on Wednesday by the Treasury Department's Office of Inspector General states that the power couple, whose legal names are Beyonce Knowles-Carter and Shawn Carter, did not violate any U.S. sanctions laws during their visit to Cuba last year.
    Get on this. Hit Cheney and co for being the real isolationists.

Isolationism Doesn't Work. People who want to isolate countries and wait for regime change are wrong.

Why can't free Americans visit a neighboring country? The best way to change Cuba is with tourism. All Cuba sees of America at the moment is torture and indefinite detention.

Become the Anti-Isolationism candidate, and put the neo-cons on the back foot. They are the fortress america types that want to hide from the world.

Cuba needs walmart.
    Last edited by idiom; 08-21-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Corporate Welfare.

It's a winner on both sides.
    Yep

I like the Cuba angle. declare peace with Cuba and watch Rubio's head implode.

only the most naïve would not realize that a 50+-year trade embargo is the only reason the Castros are still in power.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Well, if you have already written off Florida in the GOP primary, then Cuba might be a way to go. It could be a useful maneuver, though I question how many people really care.

I still think there is all kinds of fruitful territory in corporate welfare that has yet to be explored, though. Lefties hate corporations. Righties hate government handouts. Bring 'em together, Rand!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Well, if you have already written off Florida in the GOP primary, then Cuba might be a way to go. It could be a useful maneuver, though I question how many people really care.

I still think there is all kinds of fruitful territory in corporate welfare that has yet to be explored, though. Lefties hate corporations. Righties hate government handouts. Bring 'em together, Rand!
    Who wants to keep Castro in power? Time to invade Cuba with tourists. And Wal-marts. And shut Gitmo. That is how you shut down communists. You sell their citizens iPhones, have them become millionaires building resorts. Turn em all into capitalists who have tasted freedom.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Cuba is just the sort of issue Rand Paul should NOT address right now in my opinion. It will gain him no votes, but will lose him some. Seriously, what liberal will suddenly back Rand over Cuba? I know there are plenty of voters in America who won't vote for him if he pals around with Castro.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.