Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul should defend Rick Perry (updated)

Rand Paul should defend Rick Perry (updated)

Rand needs to come to the defense of Rick Perry. The indictment and lawsuit are BS, and they are politically motivated. Ted Cruz has already defended Perry. (Edit-as have Jeb, Santorum, Walker and Jindal) So should Rand.

This is indictment is helping Perry among Republicans. Rand should establish that he is against politically motivated "lawfare", whether it is Perry or ordinary Americans like victims of the IRS scandal.

--

UPDATE: Rand Paul comments on Perry indictment

As Paul left for Guatemala last weekend, Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry, another potential 2016 presidential contender, was indicted by a grand jury on charges he abused his office and tried to coerce an elected official to resign. Despite past differences with Perry – most recently on military operations in Iraq – Paul sought to defend the governor against what he considers politically-motivated charges.

“You know, Travis County has a history of politically-motivated stuff,” he said of the county prosecutor’s office that sought Perry’s indictment. “They did it to [former House Majority Leader] Tom DeLay as well. I haven’t really read that much about it other than to think that you could be indicted for doing a veto? I don’t know how that could even pass the laugh test, really.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...summer-recess/
    Last edited by jct74; 08-21-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add update

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I disagree. Rand does not have enough facts to comment. He should respect the sovereignty of Texas to manage their own internal affairs. As a federal official it's none of his business at this point. Cruz may be in a slightly different relationship to the issue since he is a resident of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I disagree. Rand does not have enough facts to comment. He should respect the sovereignty of Texas to manage their own internal affairs. As a federal official it's none of his business at this point. Cruz may be in a slightly different relationship to the issue since he is a resident of Texas.
    I whole heartedly agree he should stay away from Perry.

Jeb Bush has commented as well. The indictment is online to read.

Rand doesn't want to end up looking like he ignored this because he doesn't like Perry. Supporting him would be a public sign of goodwill and decency.

Rand shouldn't take a public stance on every single issue - especially before all of the facts come out. It is just more material that can be used against him in the future.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

Isn't Perry a former Al Gore guy?

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post

Rand doesn't want to end up looking like he ignored this because he doesn't like Perry. Supporting him would be a public sign of goodwill and decency.
    Supporting Governor Perry would be a public sign that Rand Paul is willing to disrespect the legal process by asserting, without evidence, that The People of Texas have no just complaint, and furthermore that he respects neither Texas nor the 10th Amendment. And if significant wrongdoing is proven, Rand will look like a complete spaz.

It's not really any of Rand's business, he doesn't know the facts, and there's nothing that he can do about it. So he should just not comment and let Perry speak for himself
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. It's already going to look bad if Brown ends up being a criminal and Paul seemed to defend him. This would also be bad considering he slammed Perry beforehand. Just avoid him completely. Cruz is a Texas Senator. Entirely different.

"Rick Perry’s potential 2016 GOP rivals on Saturday rushed to the Texas governor’s defense in the wake of his indictment on allegations of abusing his office.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.) and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush all came out in strong defense of Perry, who on Saturday said he would fight the “farce” indictment.'

"An aide to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who clashed with Perry over foreign policy in July, declined comment."

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ry-110077.html

Rand should learn to not jump the gun, we shall see what happens. But if the unthinkable happens and Rick goes to jail, Rand will be forever marked as supporting criminal politicians. I think Perry should be in legal trouble, but not for this issue from what I understand of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

"Rick Perry’s potential 2016 GOP rivals on Saturday rushed to the Texas governor’s defense in the wake of his indictment on allegations of abusing his office.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.) and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush all came out in strong defense of Perry, who on Saturday said he would fight the “farce” indictment.'

"An aide to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who clashed with Perry over foreign policy in July, declined comment."

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ry-110077.html
    So the usual pack of statist puppets cling to each others' bosom, while Rand takes the road less traveled. Not uncommon.

Rand should wear a pair of Rick Perry glasses in a show of solidarity.

I think Rand should stay out of this.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I wish he would take fewer stances. If he gets asked about it in an interview, he'll answer. He doesn't need to weigh in on every minor issue.

And who cares if this makes Rick Perry more popular? The guy is an incoherent imbecile. The last interview I saw with him, he sounded dumber than ever. Nobody who sounds like him will ever be a Presidential nominee.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I wish he would take fewer stances. If he gets asked about it in an interview, he'll answer. He doesn't need to weigh in on every minor issue.

And who cares if this makes Rick Perry more popular? The guy is an incoherent imbecile. The last interview I saw with him, he sounded dumber than ever. Nobody who sounds like him will ever be a Presidential nominee.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well duhh the Bush cartel was who pushed Perry to the so called "front runner position" in the last election I think Rand should distance himself from any affiliation with the Bush cartel and make no mistake Cruz is a part of that too.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    IMO, a proper position would be to defend the legal process and that Rick Perry should not be viewed or portrayed as guilty when there hasn't even been a trial. He could also speak against the idea of politically motivated cases and warn this is something that should be guarded against.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

He will inevitably get the question, so he will have to make some kind of comment on it. I don't see him volunteering anything though, it's not really his business.

The other guys commenting all (so far) have relevant experiences.

So the usual pack of statist puppets cling to each others' bosom, while Rand takes the road less traveled. Not uncommon.
    qft

out of needed rep.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    IMO, a proper position would be to defend the legal process and that Rick Perry should not be viewed or portrayed as guilty when there hasn't even been a trial. He could also speak against the idea of politically motivated cases and warn this is something that should be guarded against.
    Somebody please get these thoughts to Rand's attention.

Although, Rand is showing a fair amount of political astuteness in addition to taking principled stands on Liberty foundations. I'll bet he gets to that place on his own anyway.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

From what I understand, Perry is guilty of the accusation. Perry threatened to veto the funding of a particular DA office (because the drunkeb DA wouldn't resign), and the lawsuit is treating it as blackmail. I think it's a proper use of his veto power.

One reason I would like Rand to join the other possible candidates in their support of Perry is the fact that Rand is widely perceived among conservatives as not being passionate about their causes but more than willing to engage liberals and minorities. Perry is on the right side of history and the law on this.

I'm not proposing Rand write an op-ed, but his office could at least respond to requests for comment.

Jeb, Jindal, Cruz, AND Santorum.

Wake up Rand. Conservatives think you are a coward when it comes to defending conservative causes.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    From what I understand, Perry is guilty of the accusation. Perry threatened to veto the funding of a particular DA office (because the drunkeb DA wouldn't resign), and the lawsuit is treating it as blackmail. I think it's a proper use of his veto power.
    (emphasis added). But wouldn't that be what the legal process should determine (or similar)? Mind you, I'm not arguing against your view, just stating that a good neutral but connect position would be that the court system is designed to asses this.

Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    Somebody please get these thoughts to Rand's attention.
    ...and be sure to tell them where to send the check for my consulting fee.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

(emphasis added). But wouldn't that be what the legal process should determine (or similar)? Mind you, I'm not arguing against your view, just stating that a good neutral but connect position would be that the court system is designed to asses this.
    I suppose. The statement could say something along the lines of "It's disheartening to see people like Rick Perry attacked for political reasons. It just goes to show our legal system needs to be reformed on multiple levels, many of which I have been addressing with legislation."

I haven't been very fond of the logic of getting involved with foreign affairs on the premise of moral perception. We have no moral obligation to do that. This thing with Perry, I think, is comparable on the domestic front. Do we govern premised upon our own personal moral perception? Those are dangeus waters to swim. It's like having someone in a position of power defunding our space program and saying that we cannot research the possibility of life on other planets because of my personal religious morals. Now, I know it's an off the wall comparison but was just the first thing that popped into my head that would be similar to what Perry did here.

Of course, we should recall that some folks may not be happy with what he's been doing with regard to the border either so...hm.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-17-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Jeb, Jindal, Cruz, AND Santorum.

Wake up Rand. Conservatives think you are a coward when it comes to defending conservative causes.
    So, the typical pack of authoritarian clowns who only have need for teh law when they could use it to force others to obey them. Yeah, screw them. Rand should stay out of it and if asked for comment just say that Perry's guilt or innocence is for the People of Texas to decide, not some outsider from Washington DC.

It wouldnt surprise me if Rick Perry was guilty, so until the facts are know why would anyone call it a politically motivated witch hunt?
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Well duhh the Bush cartel was who pushed Perry to the so called "front runner position" in the last election
    I thought I read that Rove/Bushes were not at all friendly with Rick Perry.

http://theweek.com/article/index/219...eud-a-timeline
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-17-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast