Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former George W. Bush Speechwriter: Rand Paul Gave 'Aid & Comfort' To Rioters

Former George W. Bush Speechwriter: Rand Paul Gave 'Aid & Comfort' To Rioters

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...e-Wrong-Places

Quote Originally Posted by Breitbart
    Robert Patterson, a former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, said Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) gave "aid and comfort to the rioters and the protestors" with his op-ed in Time against the militarization of local police forces.

Appearing on Breitbart News Saturday, Patterson said that Paul was "outdoing" President Barack Obama's "attempt to show moral equivalence between the rioters and the police" with a Time op-ed that even Al Sharpton praised.

Patterson said that it is "another illustration of out-of-touch Republicans who are looking for love in all the wrong places" by "pandering to liberal and corporate elites instead of the middle america that the party needs to rebuild the center-right majority."

Patterson, who also worked for Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett, said Paul "wants the affirmation of the elites and the media" because it is "a lot more fun to be lionized to by the New York Times and Time magazine" and "sit in corporate luxury boxes" than to understand the middle class that Nixon and Reagan understood is "decisive" in any national election.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When I see a "former Bush speechwriter" has said something asinine, I automatically assume it's David Frum. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised.

Although, taken together, I'm thinking "former Bush speechwriter" could be a better euphemism than "special needs student".
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Appearing on Breitbart News Saturday, Patterson said that Paul was "outdoing" President Barack Obama's "attempt to show moral equivalence between the rioters and the police" with a Time op-ed that even Al Sharpton praised.
    Oh, you mean like YOUR "attempt to show moral equivalence between the rioters and" the protestors? Like that, you mean? ...

Robert Patterson, a former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, said Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) gave "aid and comfort to the rioters and the protestors" with his op-ed in Time against the militarization of local police forces.
    $#@! you, you mealy-mouthed $#@!!
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-16-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Mr. Patterson sounds even more moss-covered than McCain or Lindsey. I wonder if he realizes what a sad and dated caricature he represented himself as?
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-16-2014 at 07:28 PM.

All the Bush admin $#@!s who haven't had the courtesy to die off yet ought to be dumped in Iraq to fix the problem they created - on their own dime. They can come back when the mission is accomplished.

well I guess Mike Huckabee is guilty of giving 'Aid & Comfort' too, according to Robert Patterson.

Oh so a bush lackey would know more about middle class appeal than a rural Kentucky eye doctor???
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Oh, you mean like YOUR "attempt to show moral equivalence between the rioters and" the protestors? Like that, you mean? ...
    Excellent point, Rand was clear that the rioting was not justified, but this smear is attempting to blend rioters and protestors. One would think that a presidential speechwriter would have proper reading comprehension skills.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is good. The old guard needs to start playing it hand. The sooner the GOP get through this the better.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Excellent point, Rand was clear that the rioting was not justified, but this smear is attempting to blend rioters and protestors. One would think that a presidential speechwriter would have proper reading comprehension skills.
    He was a presidential speechwriter. Anything the guy says is going to conflate, obfuscate, and conceal the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Have you ever listened to Bush's speeches?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I don't understand the logic behind using language such as "moral equivilence".

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Have you ever listened to Bush's speeches?
    I think the vehicle of delivery was the problem there...

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I think the vehicle of delivery was the problem there...

Definitely didn't help.

It doesn't take much to write the sort of speeches they give.

"9/11"

Go on...

"9...... 11"

“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    When I see a "former Bush speechwriter" has said something asinine, I automatically assume it's David Frum. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised.

Although, taken together, I'm thinking "former Bush speechwriter" could be a better euphemism than "special needs student".

When I see this:
    who also worked for Pennsylvania Governor tom corbett
    I automatically assume corrupt statist and corporate / MIC shill.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

its always a good thing when cockroaches shine the light on themselves...makes it easier to spot.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    He was a presidential speechwriter. Anything the guy says is going to conflate, obfuscate, and conceal the truth.
    Point taken.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

And the comments are disgusting. I just don't understand how so many conservatives who want to limit the power of the government in general blindly trust the military and the police.

CKAinRedStateUSA • 19 hours ago
    Paul didn't let this crisis go to waste. Nor did he waste time doing so.

Nor did he remove his head from an anatomical space where his head was, before he wrote that.

KevSanders KevSanders • 18 hours ago
    With respect to Rand , looks like the apple does not fall far from the tree.

When you read glowing reviews of Rand from the Washington Post and LA Times, it's a sign.
    Ron Myers KevSanders • 16 hours ago
    He might replace Christie as the new "Conservative Darling" of the leftist media.

I'd say at least 75-80%, if not more, of the comments are anti-Rand.

Patterson said that it is "another illustration of out-of-touch Republicans who are looking for love in all the wrong places" by "pandering to liberal and corporate elites instead of the middle America[sic] that the party needs to rebuild the center-right majority."
    And why does that center-right, middle class majority need to be rebuilt, Patterson? Perhaps because they placed their faith in your boss and you helped him and his cronies destroy the middle class?

Somebody's peeved because Rand Paul is tolling the bell, and these clowns know for whom...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Decline of quality is a consequence of nepotism.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

here's another hit piece on Breitbart if anyone wants to get in early on the comments

h ttp://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/17/MO-GOP-Exec-Director-Rand-Paul-s-Comments-on-Demilitarization-Race-Unhelpful

"aid and comfort" for the enemy (American people). for some reason, even with the Former Bush Speechwriter's pointed remarks, i'm having a tough time getting that worked-up because Sen Paul is not defending the moral superiority of the police
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    And the comments are disgusting. I just don't understand how so many conservatives who want to limit the power of the government in general blindly trust the military and the police.

I'd say at least 75-80%, if not more, of the comments are anti-Rand.
    I doubt if very many of them even want to limit the power of the government in general. A lot of these people are really no different from people on the left. It's just the opposite side of the coin.

damn... another hit on Rand Paul from Breitbart, that's at least 4 in the past 2 days.

h ttp://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/17/On-Ferguson-Libertarians-Playing-with-Fire
    Last edited by jct74; 08-17-2014 at 07:16 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i've been quiet over the past three days. if this speechwriter who knew the "W" quite well had said less in public than i did,
    i would be way happier right now. this patterson fellow is one more total idiot who fails to comprehend that his strident voice
    is only adding to the tension, angst and anger good people are feeling. i truly have a profound respect for senator rand paul.

This is why I advised Rand to say nothing about the Ferguson thing for now and simply use it to work Federal Militarization of the police in to his future stump speeches. He followed the latter part but unfortunately he jumped in to the fray right away and now that the initial story seems to be unraveling it makes Rand look bad in the eyes of conservatives because he is associated with the left wing media that was pushing what now looks like a false story.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    This is why I advised Rand to say nothing about the Ferguson thing for now and simply use it to work Federal Militarization of the police in to his future stump speeches. He followed the latter part but unfortunately he jumped in to the fray right away and now that the initial story seems to be unraveling it makes Rand look bad in the eyes of conservatives because he is associated with the left wing media that was pushing what now looks like a false story.
    Rand didn't say the man shot was innocent. He just said African Americans get the $#@! end of the stick and that there's way too much military might in local police forces. And that everyone is afraid of the people that are supposed to serve and protect. I don't think it matters if the story was altered. Rand didn't say the man was innocent. If push comes to shove, there's about 10,000 easily referenced cases of cops killing people in situations where it was entirely unnecessary that Rand can justify his oped with.

Rand didn't say the man shot was innocent. He just said African Americans get the $#@! end of the stick and that there's way too much military might in local police forces. And that everyone is afraid of the people that are supposed to serve and protect. I don't think it matters if the story was altered. Rand didn't say the man was innocent. If push comes to shove, there's about 10,000 easily referenced cases of cops killing people in situations where it was entirely unnecessary that Rand can justify his oped with.
    Which ties right into the narrative that is coming from other angles: failed democrat policies are to blame for the lack of hope.

When life is reduced to the terms in which it is lived in the poorest and most neglected parts of Chicago or Detroit, the welfare state is the police state. Why should we expect the agents of the government who carry guns and badges to be in general better behaved than those at the IRS or the National Labor Relations Board? We have city councils that conduct their affairs in convenient secrecy and put their own interests above those of the communities that they allege to serve, and yet we naïvely think that when that self-serving process is used to hire a police commissioner or to organize a police department, then we’ll get saints and Einsteins out of all that muck.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-d-williamson

If Rand bunted before, now knock it out of the park.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Too late for that. Damage is already done. And while Rand might have been focusing on the militarization of the police, nobody else in the media is, and that subtle distinction will not be picked up by the hoopleheads. All they see is the left wing media trying to gin up another "racism" story that ends up being complete hogwash and because Rand was on the same "side" as the media when they were doing that he gets caught up in it. You are right about 10,0000 other stories Rand could have referenced and that's exactly what he should have done once the furor of this thing had died down. Instead, he hitched his op-ed to what is looking more and more like a justified shooting and that is hurting not only his standing among GOP voters but also the particular cause he's trying to advance.

He reads just fine, but where he really excels is lying - that was, after all, his chosen profession.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast