Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor Perry indicted on felony criminal charges for abuse of power

Governor Perry indicted on felony criminal charges for abuse of power

Indicted on two felony charges: abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant.

A grand jury has chosen to indict Texas Gov. Rick Perry following an investigation into whether the governor abused his power by vetoing state funds for the Travis County District Attorney's Office last year.

Perry vetoed state funds for the office after District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg refused to resign following a DWI conviction.

After the veto, Perry said he could not give money to Lehmberg's office because she had lost the public's confidence after her arrest in April 2013. Lehmberg pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 45 days in jail. She served 21 days.

Upon his indictment, Perry must turn himself in to the Travis County Jail, where he will be booked, fingerprinted and have his mug shot taken. A pre-trial hearing will be arranged within the next few weeks.

More:
    http://www.kvue.com/story/news/state...ment/14111115/
    Last edited by tsai3904; 08-15-2014 at 04:55 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

LOL nobody's touching this yet.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    So much for Perry being a challenge to Rand Paul.

I guess the glasses still don't make him seem any smarter.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Now it's starting to trickle down.

Nonsense.
    This has ZERO traction: It's a political posture.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He finally remembered that third gov't agency that he wanted to defund and abolish!
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Weird story. Looks like he was indicted by a grand jury in the same jurisdiction as the DA's office that he allegedly offended.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Weird story. Looks like he was indicted by a grand jury in the same jurisdiction as the DA's office that he allegedly offended.
    Yeah, no conflict of interest there.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I guess I am wondering if this is actually illegal.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Oh, great ... a pol like Rick Perry actually gets indicted for something ... and I sympathize with his side (based on the story cited in the OP).

Cue "The World Turned Upside Down" ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    He finally remembered that third gov't agency that he wanted to defund and abolish!
    ...and they served up their revenge upon him for that.

But, if he can time his trial just right and still get elected POTUS, maybe he can then pardon himself!

Rick Perry Indicted

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...hreat-25003869

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    A grand jury indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Friday for allegedly abusing the powers of his office by carrying out a threat to veto funding for state prosecutors investigating public corruption — making the possible 2016 presidential hopeful his state's first indicted governor in nearly a century.

this could be Perry's Scott Walker moment, his badge of honor. I really don't see how they could get a conviction especially if there is a change in venue. I am not a Perry fan of course, but I call them as I see them. Remember the Bush people hate Perry as much as the democrats do.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter
    Prosecutor confirms that Texas Gov. Rick Perry will be booked next week – @TylerS_KVUE

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Oh, great ... a pol like Rick Perry actually gets indicted for something ... and I sympathize with his side (based on the story cited in the OP).

Cue "The World Turned Upside Down" ...
    I'm going along with you on this one.

Well, at least the immigration feud Rand has been having with him can be put to bed. No more time needs to be wasted on this has-been. Lol.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving $#@!.

Comment from fark on this story;

"This guy is going to do a lot of time.
    On Fox news."

http://www.fark.com/comments/8376347...rgot-third#new

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Nonsense.
    This has ZERO traction: It's a political posture.
    Sure is.

He's getting all kinds of sympathy from team red.

Even claims it's because of his "TOUGH" boarder stance.

And boobus is falling for it.

It's bread and circuses.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Why... who has been making lots of trips to Iowa and S Carolina?

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/dat...ial-candidates

What better way to boost his presence than a fake witch hunt that keeps the team players divided on idiocracy versus real issues (*cough* like Ferguson).
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

I'll dance on Rick Perry's political grave. I only hope Texans aren't as dumb as they've been and don't make the next governor another emperor.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if it would make good politics for Rand Paul to call it a liberal witch hunt and defend Rick Perry...which it is.

Pros:
    - Rand would look magnanimous and a team player in supporting his fellow Republican against liberals
    - Might draw more coverage and attention to the indictment among Republicans

Cons:
    - TV ad by Democrats saying that Rand Paul loves corruption and attacking "clean government" so much he supported his "fellow crony" Rick Perry.
    - Turns off liberals that he might be courting right now.
    "The president does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack...that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." "Attack Libya UPDATE 8/13: and Syria"

"We can track down terrorists without trampling on our civil liberties.... the federal government will only issue warrants and execute searches because it needs to, not because it can." "Need to murder UPDATE 8/13: and track citizens" ~ Barack H. Obama

Jennifer Rubin is going to be up in arms.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-16-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertea Party View Post
    I wonder if it would make good politics for Rand Paul to call it a liberal witch hunt and defend Rick Perry...which it is.

Pros:
    - Rand would look magnanimous and a team player in supporting his fellow Republican against liberals
    - Might draw more coverage and attention to the indictment among Republicans

Cons:
    - TV ad by Democrats saying that Rand Paul loves corruption and attacking "clean government" so much he supported his "fellow crony" Rick Perry.
    - Turns off liberals that he might be courting right now.
    Rand doesn't have enough information to comment, and should stay out of it. He should respect Texas' 10th Amendment right to deal with their own issues without federal officials butting in.

Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for veto threat

Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for veto threat
    By PAUL J. WEBER and WILL WEISSERT 6 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A grand jury indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Friday for allegedly abusing the powers of his office by carrying out a threat to veto funding for state prosecutors investigating public corruption — making the possible 2016 presidential hopeful his state's first indicted governor in nearly a century.
    more here... http://news.yahoo.com/texas-perry-in...224901143.html
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Ah $#@! it, it's Texas...shoot him on horseback

:-)
    “The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

The funny part is that the Dems must think Perry has a snowballs chance in Hell of becoming president. Ultimately though this is is vendetta politics. As much as I can't stand Rick Perry, this is the equivalent to a grand libtard whining session which will cost taxpayers to litigate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast