Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul really needs to do the ice bucket challenge

Rand Paul really needs to do the ice bucket challenge

Staffers are you reading this?

Big opportunity for positive publicity here at the expense of Rand being cold for a minute. He should challenge some colleagues/celebrities too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shouldn't someone challenge him first?

Some link or context would help explain wtf you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    There's some kind of cancer awareness type fad going around lately where you film yourself dumping a bucket of ice water on yourself...For awareness.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Sorry. I thought everyone knew.

http://www.alsa.org/news/archive/als...challenge.html

Great idea actually. It is a surprisingly popular thing happening right now. Tons of people are doing it including GMs of billion dollar sports franchises. I think it would help him connect as an "everyman" rather than the typical "Washington Elite".

It would be picked up by the media for sure. Free good publicity for helping a charity.

Politicians are getting in on it:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When 2016 rolls around, and people are in the voting booths, do you think they will be thinking about whether or not Rand dumped ice on his head during a summer 2014 fad? As great as it is to see the money being raised for ALS, I don't think there's a need to do it. I'd rather see him make a very heavy public donation if good PR is what we are looking for.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

Hmm....I did not know that so many politicians had already done it.....including Christie. No need now unless he is directly challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts View Post
    When 2016 rolls around, and people are in the voting booths, do you think they will be thinking about whether or not Rand dumped ice on his head during a summer 2014 fad? As great as it is to see the money being raised for ALS, I don't think there's a need to do it. I'd rather see him make a very heavy public donation if good PR is what we are looking for.
    Not consciously.

Doing this places a subconscious image of Rand as a good guy in peoples minds, and it might introduce him to new people as well. Cheap (actually free) PR. Plus for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Politicians are getting in on it:
    Some politicians dunk ice water on themselves for charity; Randal spends his weekends off doing freaking pro-bono eye surgery.

Doing it would guarantee coverage on late night shows. Not really any downside to doing something for a good cause that gets you free coverage
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Scott Walker just did it, just heard it on the radio.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

It may not help, but how could it hurt?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    It may not help, but how could it hurt?
    Agreed. Part of me wants to discount this forum at times...worried that the media will watch it too closely...but discussions like this prove that this place is still IT.
    It doesn't have the energy of 09-10, but ideas like this are what makes this place awesome.

The ice bucket idea (and related challenges) might be something to employ for future activism events related to pushing legislation, money bombs or a future fundraiser for a good cause. Love it.
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

I still don't get it
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Patrick Stewart's was awesome.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 08-25-2014 at 11:44 AM.

No, he really doesn't. Besides, per the rules of this challenge, you have to be challenged to do it, I believe.

I Think he's supposed to be a ProLife candidate:

Chicago Cubs vice president of baseball operations Theo Epstein is dunked with a bucket of water as part of the ice bucket challenge in awareness for ALS research after the game between the Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois, Aug. 14, 2014.
    Some pro-life leaders are declining to participate in the viral "ice bucket challenge" to raise money for the ALS Association's efforts to find a cure for Lou Gehrig's disease.
    The ALS Association supports the destruction of human embryos for research, they say, and while finding a cure for a horrible disease is honorable, the ends do not justify the means.
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/do...is-why-125177/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I don't think Rand should do it... and I have ALS in my family and a direct tie to the ALS Association.

It's beneath his dignity and a pointless P.R. stunt. If he wants to help people with ALS, raise some cash for them, and I would suggest that cash be earmarked for patient services and NOT research (which is tied up in an embryonic stem cell ethics issue).

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I don't think Rand should do it... and I have ALS in my family and a direct tie to the ALS Association.

It's beneath his dignity and a pointless P.R. stunt. If he wants to help people with ALS, raise some cash for them, and I would suggest that cash be earmarked for patient services and NOT research (which is tied up in an embryonic stem cell ethics issue).
    I don't see it that way. Doing the ice bucket challenge *does* raise cash. That's the whole point. And, earmarking really doesn't do anything. You can stipulate for your $100 to go to patient services, but then some non-earmarked money which would have gone to patient services will go to stem cell research. The allocation of money doesn't change.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Millions of people die from lack of water or clean water each year... just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Millions of people die from lack of water or clean water each year... just sayin.
    People waste a lot more water taking showers every day than doing the ice bucket. I suppose we should also point that out when our kids play with water balloons or water guns.

Life, Liberty, Logic

He should do it, but with DRY ICE!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Update: Rep. Ted Yoho has challenged Ron and Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    He should do it, but with DRY ICE!

I have to say it's utterly surreal seeing ALSA involved in something that got so popular, after decades of having to explain to people what ALS is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast