Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul trailing GOP rivals in new Marist poll

Rand Paul trailing GOP rivals in new Marist poll

A new Marist poll came out and has Chris Christie (13%), Bush (13%), Cruz (10%) Ryan (9%) and Rubio (9%) all ahead of Rand (7%). The poll also finds that a large swath of Rand's tea party support has defected to Cruz. Not trying to concern troll here, but is our window closing? I think if Cruz doesnt run Rand will get all his tea party support back. Does Cruz have the moxy to run even if Rand is as well (which would guarentee a Cruz loss and potentially cripple Paul during the primaries).

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is still way too early to mean anything.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Long ways out. the electorate is in a neocon kick foreign ass mood. Rand won't do well when they are in that mood.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

And it's one poll. Others have him on top or near the top.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

It is just one poll, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the Iraq situation knocks Rand down a few points overall temporarily.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    It is just one poll, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the Iraq situation knocks Rand down a few points overall temporarily.
    But will it only be temporary? The same situation might still be going on in Iraq when the Republican Presidential primary is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    But will it only be temporary? The same situation might still be going on in Iraq when the Republican Presidential primary is going on.
    If it is people will be sick of it again.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

I'm not sure how credible this poll is when they don't even poll registered voters. They just poll all adults, even people who aren't registered to vote. And the sample size is extremely small at 342 people. The margin of error in a poll with such a small sample size is enormous.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It would be very wishful thinking to believe Cruz won't run.

Rand has spent all of his time trying to plug leaks that could be used against him, like with the race issues and immigration . His outreach will have little appeal and is a negative with Tea Party voters. It is also essential to do for him to be a credible candidate. Rand is actually trying to win. Cruz is a movement candidate. Movement candidates don't win.

For those of you who have heard/seen Ted Cruz speak, does he even come off as likeable? He has a high-pitched voice and looks like a used car salesman, disregarding that he is a laughing stock for the general electorate. He isn't a threat.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Ted Cruz is the controlled opposition, and its working beautiful
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    For those of you who have heard/seen Ted Cruz speak, does he even come off as likeable? He has a high-pitched voice and looks like a used car salesman, disregarding that he is a laughing stock for the general electorate. He isn't a threat.
    Ted Cruz preaches to the choir and has zero appeal outside voters whose number one ideological issue is Obama.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I'm not sure how credible this poll is when they don't even poll registered voters. They just poll all adults, even people who aren't registered to vote. And the sample size is extremely small at 342 people. The margin of error in a poll with such a small sample size is enormous.
    That's your explanation right there. No doubt. Strong conservatives are active in politics, a poll of all adults is going to benefit centrist candidates. Funny how Jennifer Rubin said this poll was of people "likely to vote" in the Republican primary.

Cruz can never seem to get out of "Harvard Debate Team" mode. He sounds completely phony to me. Always. And, while I have absolutely nothing against used car salesmen, I actually can imagine Ted Cruz saying with his nasal voice: "Let's be clear, here, if you're OK with $450 per month, I can get get you into the LX that comes stock with the 5-CD changer and air conditioning...but I would recommend the clear coat to protect your investment..."
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-15-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    Ted Cruz is the controlled opposition, and its working beautiful
    Do you mean controlled opposition allied with Rand? Or somehow against Rand on behalf of the establishment? The jury is out for me on this. I don't trust Cruz as far as I can throw him, but I'm hoping he will consolidate the redneck base and then endorse them over to Rand at the convention. I'm guessing Ted Cruz might not mind being Attorney General in an upstart libertarian administration.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-15-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Do you mean controlled opposition allied with Rand? Or somehow against Rand on behalf of the establishment? The jury is out for me on this. I don't trust Cruz as far as I can throw him, but I'm hoping he will consolidate the redneck base and then endorse them over to Rand at the convention. I'm guessing Ted Cruz might not mind being Attorney General in an upstart libertarian administration.
    I think hes a manchurian liberty candidate, and if he runs for president it will be solely to siphon off votes from Rand.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I would say it is kind of the same situation between Rand Paul and Eric Holder. They may have lunch and work on issues like criminal justice but it doesn't mean Eric Holder isn't a snake. As many others have stated here, Cruz will only be used to dilute Rand Paul's votes come 2016.

lies, damn lies. any pole that has that fat (bad word) Christie on top is bound to topple soon.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Rand's poll numbers are going up in general elections polls, and going down in primary polls. This is probably something Rand anticipated as he has taken aggressive positions on left-libertarian issues.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

I'm not worried. The Bush name is entirely unelectable. Christie is far too beligerent and un-likeable to withstand an extended campaign against capable politicians, not to mention the physical toll non-stop campaigning takes on the body and his obvious health issues. Ted Cruz is a brilliant man, but he's probably too bombastic to be palatable to a large enough chunk of voters to win the nomination. Rubio is an unserious dunce.

The only real competition is Paul Ryan, and his record could be enough to spell doom for him.

If Rand keeps doing what he's been doing, he'll have a better shot at taking the nomination than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    This is probably something Rand anticipated as he has taken aggressive positions on left-libertarian issues.
    What are the left-libertarian issues?

What are the left-libertarian issues?
    pro-liberty issues traditionally more likely to be championed by democrats than republicans.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

There's no way Rubio, Bush, Christie and Ryan; are outpolling Cruz and Rand. What are Huckabee's numbers at? He would outpoll all the other RINOs. Rubio has done nothing lately. Christie has done little except campaign for LePage. Paul Ryan's immigration plans are going down in flames. Bush at least admitted the latest wave of illegals should be removed.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post
    There's no way Rubio, Bush, Christie and Ryan; are outpolling Cruz and Rand. What are Huckabee's numbers at? He would outpoll all the other RINOs. Rubio has done nothing lately. Christie has done little except campaign for LePage. Paul Ryan's immigration plans are going down in flames. Bush at least admitted the latest wave of illegals should be removed.
    Here are what the betting lines are different sports books. This probably gives tbe best indication of where the race stands as of right now. http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/...ican-candidate

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This poll is a vague look into the primaries at best. I can't see how Bush or Christie are electable even in the primaries. Rubio has alienated conservatives. I think Rand has a very good chance. We all need to be tweeting and sharing in other places things about Rand and the issues. The more people hear about Rand, the more they'll like him and be comfortable with him.

If Rand doesn't get it, I hope Bush gets it just so people can see it is a bull$#@! system with Clinton vs Bush. We might as well have dynasties and royal families. I heard Chelsea Clinton might try her luck in politics later as well.

I find Cruz incredibly unlikable, but Obama is an extremely unlikable guy personality wise and he won twice so likable personality isn't everything.

But the average voter hasn't even heard Cruz talk so that's not what is driving the poll. Illegal Immigration has been dominating the news of late and Cruz positioned himself well on that issue as the chief defender of the conservative position. Rand dithered for a while and by the time he came out with a strong statement, Cruz was already seen as the "guy" on that issue so he alone reaped all the benefits. This poll is not any reason to panic, but it does highlight the fact that Rand needs to remember to feed the base regularly, especially while out on these "outreach" tangents. That is something Rand seemed to do a much better job of the first year he was in office and has been neglecting lately.

I don't think that one poll equals a trend. If another poll comes out that shows Rand losing support, then it may be necessary for him to change something up.

Isn't Rand still leading RCP?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Seems dumbass republicans want to lose again lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast