Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Colored Dot Per Person: How Racially Segregated is Your Town?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Oh come on... Why don't they just make the dot match the skin color?

If you wanted to see even starker segregation, do this by income.
    Yup. Bet it might be interesting to do this within each racial group.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good thing about that 1964 Civil rights act stopping segregation in America and all.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I found one in WV. It was actually kinda mixed, but it's the only place you can find green dots outside of Charleston.
    Mount Hope is almost 100% black. It is the other high concentration of black people in WV. As I recall, WV is the "whitest" state in the union, blacks accounting for just 3%.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Good thing about that 1964 Civil rights act stopping segregation in America and all.
    Forced segregation is the key. If you look carefully, you'll still see dots in places that seems like they did not belong.

On the maps around here, there are large blue areas then small green areas, then you zoom out and see large concentration of green, and those are prisons. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    White people were also segregated in years past.

Germans, Irish, Jews, etc, usually had their own section of town.
    Or maybe people are happiest living with others who have similar interests and values.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

My area has few dots at all. I like that.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    Or maybe people are happiest living with others who have similar interests and values.
    Erm, the phrase "Irish Need Not Apply" is indicative of something a little different than that.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Erm, the phrase "Irish Need Not Apply" is indicative of something a little different than that.
    Private businesses can choose not to hire people of Irish ancestry if they want. No one is forcibly segregating ethnic minorities into communities.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

No suprise to me that I live in what is now Little Mexico. Well, one of many. It would bother me much less if people of every color that live here (this country, not just my town) wanted to be "Americans" and all that it entails. Right now, I feel like I am being completely replaced and disposed of because I am the "wrong race". "Whitey Cracker" cant find a job because he "doesnt speak'a Spanish".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    Private businesses can choose not to hire people of Irish ancestry if they want. No one is forcibly segregating ethnic minorities into communities.
    *Was

There were sections as indicated, and there was far less "force" behind the origins of the dots in the OP as well.

To pretend that the discrimination didn't exist, that coffin ships didn't exist, that religious and ethnic minorities were not regionally fenced in, and that it's all really about enjoying being around one's own kind, is sad.

If you allow natural fault lines to form in your society, then it will shatter in those places when the pressure is applied.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

The prisons show up in stark contrast to the surrounding rural areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

It seems pretty accurate for my city as of 2010. However, in just the last few years we have had probably a tripling of the population of black people, and that is probably due to the housing prices in my city being DIRT cheap along with it being safe. In other words, those who are able to get out of the bad areas do and come to my city. I don't have any statistics, but I am basing it on the amount of people I see walking around the city. Blacks make up probably 75% of the people I see walking around, even though they are probably less than 3% of the population. Just a few years ago it was a very rare site seeing a black person in my city ANYWHERE.

Asians are a huge group in my city too. We have a lot of Indians and a lot of east Asians, all of whom are very well educated. They work for Dow Chemical, mega-corporation that is based in my city.

But overall the graph is pretty accurate for the time. Vast majority of the dots are blue.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    It would make a horrible graphic if they used skin color. Considering most Asians, Hispanics and whites have about the same skin color. Good luck finding white on a white background and then slightly darker shades on white on that same background.
    uh yeah... I was making a joke. Not actually suggesting it.

human beings are much more complex than a dot. To suggest that skin color is the reason why people segregate themselves is silly. If you're going to be this ridiculous, you might as well go full-on racist and make white dots for white folk, black dots for black folk, yellow dots for dem asians, and so on.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It is based on what people claimed in the 2010 Census.
    I can say my space is not reflective of the census. I saw what it is claiming, but again it looks like it is guessing from those whom they did not get information from kwim?
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Hmmm, it doesn't zoom in that far. My area is almost all red Whites are something like 25% of the population here. Most of the blues located around Hickam and K-Bay. No surprises there. If anyone cares this is Honolulu (Kaimuki), HI.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    If you allow natural fault lines to form in your society, then it will shatter in those places when the pressure is applied.
    What's your point?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I already knew there weren't any blacks or Hispanics in my area; but it seems the Asians have been successfully quietly infiltrating. They must be integrating well as I hadn't even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    People like being around people who are like them.
    And that is totally fine as long as it's voluntary. Forced segregation AND integration is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Mount Hope is almost 100% black. It is the other high concentration of black people in WV. As I recall, WV is the "whitest" state in the union, blacks accounting for just 3%.
    No it's Maine. WV is second.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I want to know why that map shows four white people living out in my bean field. I look out the window and all I see is bean plants.
    Maybe they are really, really short.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    My state is 95% white and my town is 97% white.

Do I win the prize?
    The prize is, from now on you get to live in Maine. Oh wait, nevermind.

My county and my neighborhood are predominantly white.However,when I bought this house on my dead-end street over 30 years ago there were 8 homes on it,4 black and 4 white.

My job required that I be away from home,very often for over 30 and very rarely for less than 10 days at a time.
    My black neighbors over the years retrieved my mail and put it in my garage for me and mowed my lawn in season.
    They have always been great neighbors,as I assumed they would be when I bought the place.

Every census since I have lived here,I have put down 'Human' under race.The census people have never got back to me about this.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Maybe they are really, really short.
    Never thought about that. Maybe if I catch them, they will give me their pot o gold.

One Colored Dot Per Person: How Racially Segregated is Your Town?

Here is a link to a map that does 200 people per dot and lets you move by zip code.

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer?ref=us

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    No suprise to me that I live in what is now Little Mexico. Well, one of many. It would bother me much less if people of every color that live here (this country, not just my town) wanted to be "Americans" and all that it entails. Right now, I feel like I am being completely replaced and disposed of because I am the "wrong race". "Whitey Cracker" cant find a job because he "doesnt speak'a Spanish".
    What does it mean to you to "be Americans and all that it entails"? Does that mean to copy certain British things?

It's hard to find the communities around me on this map without borders, rivers, and other landmarks labeled. I think I found my spot by scrolling away from DFW. My hometown has very few dots but 95% of them are green. The other 5% is yellow. I come from a German community that has been very slow to integrate and attract others.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Nope. Of the exact same thing. Being happiest living and working with people similar to you has the necessary corollary of not being happiest living and working with people not similar to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    To suggest that skin color is the reason why people segregate themselves is silly.
    Race =/= skin color

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast