Thread: Pentagon Says U.S. Now Has Nearly 1,000 Troops In Iraq

Pentagon Says U.S. Now Has Nearly 1,000 Troops In Iraq

The aircraft mentioned are no longer based on warships in the Gulf, but are now land based....

Pentagon Says U.S. Now Has Nearly 1,000 Troops In Iraq
    Posted on Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 at 3:59 pm.

There are now almost 1,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, the Pentagon said Wednesday.

Another 129 troops were sent to Iraq this week. Including 100 or so troops who are assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, a total of about 964 troops are now in the country.

Pentagon officials say the soldiers are not “combat troops,” but they are armed and can take self-defense measures.

The latest troops includes 80 Marines who are assessing how the U.S. might help thousands of Yazidis stranded on Mt. Sinjar in northern Iraq. The Yazidis are members of a religious minority in Iraq who have been chased from their villages by fighters with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), an extremist Sunni Muslim group.

About 200 U.S. troops are in Erbil, the Kurdish regional capital in Iraq. The rest of the U.S. troops are in and around Baghdad.

Four V-22 Osprey are stationed at a secured airfield in Erbil, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said Wednesday. Some U.S. rotary-wing aircraft are also stationed in the city.
    source here... http://www.conservativeinfidel.com/m...0-troops-iraq/
    Last edited by Constitutional Paulicy; 08-14-2014 at 04:00 AM.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn't a "non-combat" troop by definition an oxymoron? Isn't it violence or the threat thereof that makes the presence of a "troop" different from the presence of a civilian?
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

As long as there are no "boots on the ground" they must be operating while barefoot.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    As long as there are no "boots on the ground" they must be operating while barefoot.
    Oh that is going to hurt! That sand gets HOT!
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Boots on the ground.. and for longer than they say.

Perhaps the Humanitarian aid was just cover story.
    I was wondering why the Peshmerga would be helping the Yadizi.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-yazidis-iraq
    The personnel flew in on V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft that can land vertically, joining a small number of American special forces who, the Guardian has been told, had been on the mountain for some days. That team had been assessing the military and humanitarian situation and guiding US air strikes against Islamic State (Isis) fighters encircling the mountain.

A handful of British SAS soldiers were also in the area to “gather intelligence”, a British official said. The developments were the first confirmation that international forces were on Mount Sinjar.

Fleeing Yazidis have reported seeing small teams of American soldiers high on the northern flank. “We weren’t allowed to go near them,” said a man from Sinjar who was airlifted from the former base. “They were being guarded by the Kurds.
    They weren't guarding the Yadizi,, they were guarding Special Forces.

Filtering out the bull$#@! takes a while,, the filters get clogged.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-14-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

just means they don't have guns......right?

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Mission Creep.

And the stock market will crash once the number of troops increases to what it was before.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Combat-troops..... almost only means shock troops now.

The Stock Market is now immune to external stimuli.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

How many deaths and injuries has each side suffered during this inning? What good is this if we don't have some statistics to fill our bloodlust?

The troops there from the USMC are indeed not combat troops. The Marines there are from FAST. They are Infantry Marines that only protect embassies. They actually are defensive in nature regarding US assets abroad. Then you have the support elements and most likely special operations. Most people in the military are POGs (not grunts) and the grunts require a ton of pogs for logistical support. 1000 troops is about a battalions worth, but I don't think they have one cohesive unit there. Out of the 1000 there, 80 are there to defend the base, while the other 920 are there to eat chow, enjoy wifi at the USO, and occasionally give FAST batteries and MRE's.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Regardless, we have no reason to be there anyways.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995