2 3.17%
  • Arm the Kurds

9 14.29%
  • Let whatever happens happen

51 80.95%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Options in Iraq - POLL

Options in Iraq - POLL

While I'm mostly non-interventionist, I have second thoughts when it comes to arming the Kurds. They're consistent allies and great examples of stable, democratic, secular government in the middle east. I don't think we should get involved in Iraq to any real degree, but since we're shipping a bunch of stuff home from Afghanistan anyway, why not donate some of it to the Kurds? A little night vision, troop transport, mortar, rifle and ammo dump and they get everything they're asking for to fight the IS, and I believe them capable of fighting the IS once that is in place. Thoughts?
    Join the Free State Project - www.freestateproject.org

Now that Rand is out - Gary Johnson 2016!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Violence sucks, the weapons will probably just end up getting taken by the enemy.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

However, if you would like to donate your own money or weapons to the Kurds, I won't stop you.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Does it matter? not a Poll Option

and where does anyone get the Idea that they are our allies?
    They have been useful idiots at times,, but they have done nothing for my freedom.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Does it matter? not a Poll Option

and where does anyone get the Idea that they are our allies?
    They have been useful idiots at times,, but they have done nothing for my freedom.
    Just vote for "Let whatever happens happen" so we don't look like a bunch of wartards.

Give them the equipment and arms we are currently scrapping in Afghanistan. No reason for it to go to waste.

Well, what the Kurds need is AK and Enfield chow. Really, they need heavier stuff that will take out US weapons/transport.
    IS has got US weapons that eat AR chow.

Both sides basically dress the same... yeah, headscarves, but....

You kind of want your opposition to use weapons that sound different, so you know they are the opposition...

-t

Well, what the Kurds need is AK and Enfield chow. Really, they need heavier stuff that will take out US weapons/transport.
    IS has got US weapons that eat AR chow.

Both sides basically dress the same... yeah, headscarves, but....

You kind of want your opposition to use weapons that sound different, so you know they are the opposition...

-t

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Give them the equipment and arms we are currently scrapping in Afghanistan. No reason for it to go to waste.
    Correction: sell them excess equipment.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hale View Post
    Thoughts?
    Why should "we" do anything else? Things there are working exactly as intended.

If the US wanted to arm the Kurds, they would have done so (could have done so) years ago..

"We" armed the ISIS. "We" Trained them.

Arm the Kurds and they may win. It was clear by the way "we" screwed them in the past that "we" don't want that.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

It won't go to waste. It will be re-purposed by the people that live there, just like the Russian equipment was.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Violence sucks, the weapons will probably just end up getting taken by the enemy.
    Yes, violence sucks. But we don't want to go the "gun control" route either. People should be able to defend themselves, including the Kurds.

On the other hand, giving away stockpiles of weapons, to people who will just drop them and run, all on the US taxpayer, is folly.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

No reason for it to go to waste.
    How about innocent dead people?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Correction: sell them excess equipment.
    Yes, sell them the surplus weaponry by all means.

Reminds me of the Rothchild's financing both sides during the great war, though.....

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Yes, sell them the surplus weaponry by all means.
    And then tell them to go get it,, it is in Afghanistan.. They can just go pick it up.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-12-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Arm the Kurds
    Where is the option to "Quit interfering in the Kurds ability to sell oil and allow them to buy arms with their own money"?

How about innocent dead people?
    Like ISIS?

Like ISIS?
    No I mean stop adding fuel to the fire.

No I mean stop adding fuel to the fire.
    The fire won't be put out until ISIS is annihilated. That is the fact of the matter. These aren't people who surrender or give up.

The fire won't be put out until ISIS is annihilated. That is the fact of the matter. These aren't people who surrender or give up.
    ISIS did not exist till the US created them. Trained and armed them.
    Why do you want to attack our fighters.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I'm just going to go with what the statesman had in mind. So...none of the above.

Ron Paul on Iraq: ‘The sooner we get out of there the better’

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    ISIS did not exist till the US created them. Trained and armed them.
    Why do you want to attack our fighters.
    Some of our weapons likely fell into their hands in Syria, although there were multiple factions opposing the regime. And they got a buttload of our equipment when the Iraqi military cut and run.

But I am pretty sure they existed before any of that happened.

Great idea! Arm the Kurds! Just like you armed the Iraqis. That way ISIS will be able to seize more weaponry and become an even tougher opponent for whoever is left to fight them. Maybe Israel can be our ally and take care of ISIS, god knows the US has paid them enough.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some of our weapons likely fell into their hands in Syria, although there were multiple factions opposing the regime. And they got a buttload of our equipment when the Iraqi military cut and run.

But I am pretty sure they existed before any of that happened.
    They came into existence with the Syrian conflict. They were armed by John $#@!ing McCain.
    They were trained by US forces when we trained Iraqis,, and they got more weapons when they took over bases we left them with.
    We made them.

They weren't called ISIS till very recently,,
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    Great idea! Arm the Kurds! Just like you armed the Iraqis. That way ISIS will be able to seize more weaponry and become an even tougher opponent for whoever is left to fight them. Maybe Israel can be our ally and take care of ISIS, god knows the US has paid them enough.
    The difference between 'Iraqis' and Kurds is that Iraqi's don't exist. They are a mixture of Sunni, Shiite, Kurds and other factions(even inside these factions it's complicated). They don't get along, Iraq is and always has been a country without a reason to exist. The Kurdish people have tried to gain independence for a long time, stopped both by Iraq and Turkey. At this point it seems that even Turkey is growing closer to the Kurds. While I agree that simply arming people may cause additional problems later I would argue that the Kurds may be the one group that actually deserves to be helped. Since the 2003 invasion of Iraq the Kurdish region has been relatively peaceful. I have met some Kurds while fishing, really nice people that fled from violence and would really like to return to their homeland. So I may be slightly biased.

PS: I voted to arm them, I'm quite sure they would be happy to pay it back with their oil fields later. They have wanted freedom for their people for a long time and their economy requires stability which in my opinion is a good argument to help them. Not the most principled non-interventionist position but it's a mess to begin with.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-12-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    The difference between 'Iraqis' and Kurds is that Iraqi's don't exist. They are a mixture of Sunni, Shiite, Kurds and other factions(even inside these factions it's complicated). They don't get along, Iraq is and always has been a country without a reason to exist. The Kurdish people have tried to gain independence for a long time, stopped both by Iraq and Turkey. At this point it seems that even Turkey is growing closer to the Kurds. While I agree that simply arming people may cause additional problems later I would argue that the Kurds may be the one group that actually deserves to be helped. Since the 2003 invasion of Iraq the Kurdish region has been relatively peaceful. I have met some Kurds while fishing, really nice people that fled from violence and would really like to return to their homeland. So I may be slightly biased.

PS: I voted to arm them, I'm quite sure they would be happy to pay it back with their oil fields later. They have wanted freedom for their people for a long time and their economy requires stability which in my opinion is a good argument to help them. Not the most principled non-interventionist position but it's a mess to begin with.
    You sound as though you know more about the truth here than most of us to me.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

Another group of imaginary people? I thought Palestinians were alone in that respect. Let's say we arm the Kurds, and they lick ISIS. Now, the Kurds are the powerhouse and what, are they going to be content with their land or will they seek to expand their rule (as every political entity since we started using thumbs has done). If anyone wants to arm them, that is fine, but they should only use their dough to do so.

What if the Kurds are armed and lose anyways? Now ISIS has much more gear than they did. So we will have to make sure the Kurds don't lose, throw them some air support. We can borrow it from china! Meh, $#@! it, not like I'm going over there. I think its Alaska for me.
    Last edited by bolil; 08-12-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Options in Iraq

Get the $#@! Out not a poll option

btw,, the Kurds have arms.. They have arms markets.. they have Full auto weapons. (that US citizens are denied)

There was no fuss made there when Mosul was overrun and Christians beheaded.
    Air strikes did not happen till some Satan worshipers were targeted. (Yazidi)

Not that I approve of the attacks on them,, but WTF?
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-12-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

What about the status Quo?

Arm ISIS in Syria,
    Arm the Kurds,
    Arm Maliki,
    Boots on the ground in 3 "embassies",
    Airdrop water without parachutes,
    Bomb the $#@! out of anyone that attempts to stop a Yazidi man from stoning his daughter,

...and sell boobus $100 month cable TV subscriptions to spectate!
    Last edited by presence; 08-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast