Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family: Church Cancelled Funeral After Learning Man Was Gay

Family: Church Cancelled Funeral After Learning Man Was Gay

From Drudge;

Family: Church Cancelled Funeral After Learning Man Was Gay

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2014/08/08...g-man-was-gay/

The family of a gay man says a Tampa church abruptly canceled his funeral service after learning about his sexual orientation.
    Julie Atwood told WFLA-TV the pastor of New Hope Missionary Baptist Church called her the day before her son’s funeral, during the actual wake, to say it could not be held at the church because it would be “blasphemous.”
    “It was devastating,” she said. “I did feel like he was being denied the dignity of death.”
    Atwood said she has family ties to New Hope and also needed the large space to accommodate the hundreds of expected mourners for Julion Evans.
    He died at age 42 after battling Amyloidosis for 4 years. His husband, Kendall Capers, says they were partners for 17 years and got married last year in Maryland.
    “Everyone who knew us knew about our relationship,” he said. “We didn’t keep secrets.”
    The service had been scheduled for July 26th.
    T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope told WFLA-TV that he did not know Evans was gay until members of his congregation saw the obituary and called to complain.
    “Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church,” Jenkins said. “I’m not trying to condemn anyone’s lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles.”
    Capers told WTVT-TV the pastor was wrong to cancel with barely any notice.
    “If you agree to something, three and four days later, agree to it and stick to your plan, don’t change at the last minute because your church constituents are calling you, or the church members are calling you to complain. Stand your ground, he said”
    The family was able to make alternate arrangements at the last minute, but not all the guests were informed of the changes and some only found out about the cancellation when they showed up at New Hope for the funeral.
    “I know there are other people that are probably going to be in the same shoes Julion and I were in. I feel like it’s a wrong doing, and nobody should be in those shoes,” said Capers.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “If you agree to something, three and four days later, agree to it and stick to your plan, don’t change at the last minute because your church constituents are calling you, or the church members are calling you to complain. Stand your ground, he said”
    That is the bottom line. You can refuse service to people up front, but unless the church had this all as an obvious policy when the arrangements were made, they are in the wrong. They agreed to the service, then backed out at the last minute. Not cute.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Ummmm, yeah, I don't know, but whoever chose the word **** to put in a title about a dead man and his family having problems getting him buried, is an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    Ummmm, yeah, I don't know, but whoever chose the word **** to put in a title about a dead man and his family having problems getting him buried, is an ass.
    That's what the article is about. Is this a political-correctness issue with you? If he had said "gay" or "homosexual", would you have gotten so upset?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Butt hurt are you?

The church did NOT handle this in a loving compassionate manner. They did NOT represent a God of love, and should be ashamed of themselves.

I hope they get sued and lose.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    That's what the article is about. Is this a political-correctness issue with you? If he had said "gay" or "homosexual", would you have gotten so upset?

It doesn't upset me to point out when someone is being an ass. Political Correctness has nothing to do with this, you obviously are confused.

Let's say the local whore dies, and they are having a funeral, and I see it, I could go over there and say "It's a shame that dirty whore died, she gave such great blow jobs". Obviously, you wouldn't do that, well I'm assuming you'd see that would be ill advised. It's true she was a whore, and the statement would be factual, but you know and I know the only reason to do that is to be hurtful for no good reason other than sadism.

So, essentially the use of **** is just meant to belittle the dead guy, I'd like the OP to go say that to the mourners then I'll at least accept he's not a coward attacking the dead over the internet for no good reason.

And don't pretend the word **** isn't derogatory.

Not dissing dead strangers over the internet, is now political correctness. LOL.

It doesn't upset me to point out when someone is being an ass. Political Correctness has nothing to do with this, you obviously are confused.

Let's say the local whore dies, and they are having a funeral, and I see it, I could go over there and say "It's a shame that dirty whore died, she gave such great blow jobs". Obviously, you wouldn't do that, well I'm assuming you'd see that would be ill advised. It's true she was a whore, and the statement would be factual, but you know and I know the only reason to do that is to be hurtful for no good reason other than sadism.

So, essentially the use of **** is just meant to belittle the dead guy, I'd like the OP to go say that to the mourners then I'll at least accept he's not a coward attacking the dead over the internet for no good reason.

And don't pretend the word **** isn't derogatory.

Not dissing dead strangers over the internet, is now political correctness. LOL.
    Have no doubt I call a spade a spade face to face.

I'm in no way some politically correct mamby-pamby mealy mouth who actually cares what others think of me.

I may be rude, crude and socially unacceptable but no one ever has to wonder where they stand with me.

If you find my verbiage offensive that's your problem, get your head out of your own ass and try living in the real world.

Nobody gets "respect" from me because of their sexual orientation, race or religion.

As for "****" being derogatory, that's your opinion. In my world it's an accurate description of not only the cadaver but the predicate issue of the article....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Maybe the church has a policy of not doing funerals for unrepentant sinners? I can see how the pastor would have a hard time doing such a funeral. It's bad that he gave such short notice but it's possible he did not know the man was a homosexual. If so, someone should have brought this to his attention much sooner.

There is no reason to bring dirty lawyers into the mix though.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

FWIW, I don't agree with what the pastor did here. It would have been one thing to deny it when it was first scheduled; it's quite another to cancel it so close to the funeral.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-08-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Knowing Southern Baptists as I do (the Ozarks is smack-dab in the middle of the Bible belt) it's pretty safe to state that few, if any, of their congregations would permit a homosexual service of any sort.

Which leads me to question if there wasn't some deceit on the part of the family when entering into the alleged contract...

FWIW, I don't agree with what the pastor did here. It would have been one thing to deny it when it was first scheduled; it's quite another to cancel it so close to the funeral.
    I am wondering why they would seek to have the funeral in a church.
    Funeral homes can conduct funerals on site,, or at the cemetery.

This sounds like it was done as a political stunt to start with.

BTW,, other Churches will refuse funeral services for several reasons,, homosexuality being just one of them.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-10-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    I'm sure Tod must have been referring to the "****" genus of hominids that includes modern humans (H. sapiens) - while also creatively implying the dead man sameness (from the Greek base that the word is derived from) with the rest of humanity; because using “Homo” in the sexual orientation sense is roughly equivalent to saying, “Deadbeat’s family mad at Baptist Church” if he had been denied a funeral because he was behind in child support payments ... or “Dago’s family” or “Slope’s family” or ******'s family, etc.
    ... and in any of those latter derogatory cases I would agree that RonPaulIsGreat's observation would apply.
    In my youthful days there were a plethora of terms used to describe ***** in a derogatory sense, "****" was short to denote homosexual and hasn't been considered derogatory by the ***** I know. Then again what with all the social programming foisted on the public today **** could very well be as vile an expression as "Indian" or "Redskin"...

Honestly I don't care...

If I'd intended to be offensive my vocabulary is extensive enough I would have used verbiage blunt enough to leave no doubt...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's wrong with the term, Indian? I have a lot of Indian blood in me and it has always been fine with me. But then again, I'm not politically-correct.
    ================

What's wrong with the term, Indian? I have a lot of Indian blood in me and it has always been fine with me. But then again, I'm not politically-correct.
    There was a thread or two back aways where someone was whining about it....

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I am wondering why they would seek to have the funeral in a church.
    Funeral homes can conduct funerals on site,, or at the cemetery.

This sounds like it was done as a political stunt to start with.

BTW,, other Churches will refuse funeral services for several reasons,, homosexuality being just one of them.
    Maybe. But gays go to church too.
    ================

I haven't set foot into a Southern Baptist church in decades but I can assure you there were no ***** there when I did...

Hell those folks would chastise me for wearing bell-bottoms and having long hair....

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Maybe the church has a policy of not doing funerals for unrepentant sinners? I can see how the pastor would have a hard time doing such a funeral.
    That's what I was thinking but I didn't know how exactly to phrase it. The family probably wants acceptance, but they will settle for the illusion of acceptance.

I mean, it's probably for the best. Would you want your loved one's last rites to be performed by someone who is basically uncomfortable with the general situation? Would the preacher be just a bit on the dishonest side if he's wishing someone off to a happy afterlife while at the same time he's thinking, under his breath, 'this guy is going to hell!'

To those who don't take much stock in religious beliefs (I'm not particularly devout myself), it might seem like not a big deal, but I'm trying to see it through the preacher's eyes and yeah, it's for the best that they cancelled this funeral, IMO.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 08-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I haven't set foot into a Southern Baptist church in decades but I can assure you there were no ***** there when I did...

Hell those folks would chastise me for wearing bell-bottoms and having long hair....
    Yes indeed. My parents both smoked--neither went to church. I attended this church because my friend asked me to go. Before church started, one day, the minister walked past me and literally accused me of smoking. It was like a scene from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers--seriously. He embarrassed me in front a lot of people I knew, and told me that my parents were wrong and should stop immediately. It's a good thing I never told my father, he would have paid this preacherman a visit and set him straight. Oh and he had three daughters, all of which, smoked, drank, and went clubbing. Gee, I wonder what pushed them to do all those sinful things?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yes indeed. My parents both smoked--neither went to church. I attended this church because my friend asked me to go. Before church started, one day, the minister walked past me and literally accused me of smoking. It was like a scene from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers--seriously. He embarrassed me in front a lot of people I knew, and told me that my parents were wrong and should stop immediately. It's a good thing I never told my father, he would have paid this preacherman a visit and set him straight. Oh and he had three daughters, all of which, smoked, drank, and went clubbing. Gee, I wonder what pushed them to do all those sinful things?
    As a kid I'd travel into the closest town on the weekends with friends, car trunk full of beer, assorted illegal substances in our britches in order to pick up the loose women from the Baptist Bible University....Good times!

I really feel sorry for the kids today.....

Then they should have made arrangements with a Gay Church.

As it is,, they were against the wishes of the deceased.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...-gay/13799269/
    A grieving Tampa man says he should have stuck with his spouse's last wish, which was to have his service at a funeral home,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/****

noun, plural *****. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
    a contemptuous term used to refer to a homosexual, especially a male homosexual.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    Political-correctness will be the downfall of us all.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In my youthful days there were a plethora of terms used to describe ***** in a derogatory sense, "****" was short to denote homosexual and hasn't been considered derogatory by the ***** I know. Then again what with all the social programming foisted on the public today **** could very well be as vile an expression as "Indian" or "Redskin"...

Honestly I don't care...

If I'd intended to be offensive my vocabulary is extensive enough I would have used verbiage blunt enough to leave no doubt...

In my area... they're tearing down all the "handicapped parking" signs. They're forcing business to upgrade to "accessable" to be more PC.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    The church did NOT handle this in a loving compassionate manner. They did NOT represent a God of love, and should be ashamed of themselves.

I hope they get sued and lose.
    Sued for what? offending you?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Then they should have made arrangements with a Gay Church.

As it is,, they were against the wishes of the deceased.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...-gay/13799269/
    I have to wonder what reason he had for not having the service at the funeral home. That seems disrespectful to me.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 08-10-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    "The Patriarch"

ummm...relax..its just what SOCONS like to do...labels help in describing certain groups...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast