Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hugh Jackman/Rand Paul/ Jon Stewart

Hugh Jackman/Rand Paul/ Jon Stewart

I seriously don't know what's going on here

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/8d...-races-edition

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jon Stewart being funny. He concludes with calling Rand the next president, so I think we can take a little ribbing.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Yeah, I mean, and I don't know how to embed the screenshot I took. But why is Rand's head on Jackman's body?

I mean, seriously...

I just don't follow how "that's how you do it mr.next prez".... it almost seems like support?

I'm just dumbfounded.

It sounds to me like Stewart was pointing out that if Rand just stopped pandering and solidify his view, like this father, he could be the next president. Same thing half of RonPaulForums says everyday. I think Stewart is just pointing it out. For as much as he plays a roll, Stewart deals with fakes for a living and I feel like he (like a lot of people) respect Ron a lot for being honest and moral. Rand does that they can't stop him. It's not four years ago. The "mainstream" media can't ignore Rand Paul if he starting talking like his father. It would be too obvious.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Well, actually. That's what I think is so genius about Randal.

All successful politicians are liars. Everyone but Rand speaks of principle and justice and then acts with filthy compromise and appeasement of special interests.

Rand speaks of filthy compromise and appeasement of special interests while acting in a principled manner.

Brilliant.

I am quite happy with him not sounding like his father whilst simultaneously accomplishing more, politically, than his father ever could have dreamed of doing.

Put yet another way, Ron sounded gold but accomplished $h!+, Rand sounds like $h!+ but gets gold done.

I like how it is okay for other politicians to flip flop and then vote for bad things... but when Rand flip flops and vote/add legislation for the right things, he is called out for it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengisconrad View Post
    Yeah, I mean, and I don't know how to embed the screenshot I took. But why is Rand's head on Jackman's body?
    It's a bit ambiguous. Does it mean that Rand's a fake, like a photoshopped picture?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Ron did always say Rand was better. I think Jon is turned off at Rand's attempts at pandering. I think Jon would definitely vote for him over Hilary. At the same time, he probably feels how some of us feel: his actions are still not right even if it's the only way.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This clip isn't good for Rand but, I hate to say, Steward did have some good advice.

That last clip he played where he said he wanted to put limitations on aid and as a side note say all countries would be better off independent does seem like the best talking point on the matter.

It leaves enough wiggle room to deny that he wants to end aid during his terms as president but sticks to his original position and might even cause a few people to think more clearly about the topic while he's at it.

Stewart could have been harder on him. Rand is in kinda a pickle on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    I like how it is okay for other politicians to flip flop and then vote for bad things... but when Rand flip flops and vote/add legislation for the right things, he is called out for it haha.
    Romney was targeted for his flip-flopping, other politicians are as well. By Stewart too.

This wasn't mean spirited. It was Stewart's way of saying to Rand "you're better than this".

Quote Originally Posted by LawnWake View Post
    Romney was targeted for his flip-flopping, other politicians are as well. By Stewart too.

This wasn't mean spirited. It was Stewart's way of saying to Rand "you're better than this".
    This. Stewart has criticized the Israel circle jerking among American politicians several times. He expects more from Rand, especially when there is evidence (pointed out in the video) of Rand taking a stand against aid during the beginning of his term in office.

Well, actually. That's what I think is so genius about Randal.

All successful politicians are liars. Everyone but Rand speaks of principle and justice and then acts with filthy compromise and appeasement of special interests.

Rand speaks of filthy compromise and appeasement of special interests while acting in a principled manner.

Brilliant.

I am quite happy with him not sounding like his father whilst simultaneously accomplishing more, politically, than his father ever could have dreamed of doing.

Put yet another way, Ron sounded gold but accomplished $h!+, Rand sounds like $h!+ but gets gold done.
    I think you're on to something here that I am embarrassed to say that I'm just waking up to. Rand is waging a war with a big part of the establishment and the establishment media. He is using all of the guerrilla warfare media tricks in the book while his poll numbers steadily increase. He and his advisers seem to have made the call that this is the path to victory, even if a few loyalists like me get their feathers ruffled along the way because they simply don't understand the way the war is being waged. I commend you for seeing this clearly, and today you have reshaped my thinking going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I think you're on to something here that I am embarrassed to say that I'm just waking up to. Rand is waging a war with a big part of the establishment and the establishment media. He is using all of the guerrilla warfare media tricks in the book while his poll numbers steadily increase. He and his advisers seem to have made the call that this is the path to victory, even if a few loyalists like me get their feathers ruffled along the way because they simply don't understand the way the war is being waged. I commend you for seeing this clearly, and today you have reshaped my thinking going forward.
    I thought we all knew this lol

I seriously don't know what's going on here
    Why did Stewart refer to him as "Ranford J. Paul" when his name is Randal H. Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's a bit ambiguous. Does it mean that Rand's a fake, like a photoshopped picture?
    Stewart is saying that if Rand expressed himself more clearly he would do better with branding his image. His face shopped onto Jackman's body would be a final exclamation point on his "badass" image.

I'll see what I can do about shopping something up later this evening.
    Last edited by presence; 08-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    I thought we all knew this lol
    I think maybe that when so many here are outraged over various talking points and alleged flip-flopping, that maybe they aren't seeing the Rand strategy in it's fullness. I don't think I have been seeing the complete picture, and frankly I still find it a bit mysterious.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-10-2014 at 07:19 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why did Stewart refer to him as "Ranford J. Paul" when his name is Randal H. Paul?
    I'm not sure about that one... Perhaps a refrence to Sanford J Ungar from "All things Considered" on NPR.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_J._Ungar

Mr. Ungar has spoken frequently around the United States and in other countries on issues of American foreign policy and domestic politics, free expression, human rights, and immigration. At Goucher, he teaches a freshman seminar on “Free Speech.”

[]

He has also often appeared on public, commercial, and cable television, frequently as a commentator or as the moderator of debates.
    Last edited by presence; 08-10-2014 at 06:36 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Last edited by presence; 08-10-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Yeah, that's nice, but Stewarts looked better. Did you see the clip? Stewart had one made already... I just don't know how to embed from a file here.

*sigh* comedy is lost on some people...

Because you lack a sense of humor?

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    *sigh* comedy is lost on some people...
    I'll back anaconda on this one. If there is a reference, I wasnt familiar with it either
    Last edited by Crashland; 08-11-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I think Randford just sounds funnier. And while Q would normally be the funniest letter, it has been appropriated in a middle initial context by John Q. Public and so using it would be giving an everyman connotation rather than sounding archaic and ridiculous, so J is the next-best thing.

This was a good clip. In the end, he actually lets Rand explain it all away in exactly the way Rand wants it all to be explained away. What more could you ask? Stewart was very kind to Rand, showing him in the best possible light while also not neglecting to exploit the comedy value of the story (which is his job, the point of the show).

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I think Randford just sounds funnier. And while Q would normally be the funniest letter, it has been appropriated in a middle initial context by John Q. Public and so using it would be giving an everyman connotation rather than sounding archaic and ridiculous, so J is the next-best thing.

This was a good clip. In the end, he actually lets Rand explain it all away in exactly the way Rand wants it all to be explained away. What more could you ask? Stewart was very kind to Rand, showing him in the best possible light while also not neglecting to exploit the comedy value of the story (which is his job, the point of the show).
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I think Randford just sounds funnier.
    Transcript of that:
    "Welcome 2014 back to summer show. know what that means? time to check in on the 2016 presidential race, specifically randford j. paul, the subject of tonight's democalypse 2016: coif edition. its paul's 10th visit. Its prompted many to wonder if he's considering a bid for the presidency. It could be... no maybe he loves Iowa. he's goat a thing for strawberry point, iowa's worlds largest straberry. its not a real strawberry. if it was a real strawberry, it could be impressive. its a 15 foot fiberglass sculpture, we don't advertise the statue of liberty as the worlds largest lady. truth sellerby has a a larger fake strawberry so I just no no I don't think i'd that was not I was poking gentle fun. thats somewhat better. that is a more fruit appropriate, but still somewhat hyperbolic. all right but its senator paul up for the challenges of a a presidential primary? Its a routine to the difficulty especially for a candidate who has some unpopular positionsl.
    http://archive.org/details/COM_20140...rt/720/end/780

Stewart has always been fair to Rand. He was always fair to Ron as well. He's always respected libertarians and he probably just wants to hear us out. Colbert is the exact same way. We just have philosophical disagreements. Just like Ron and Dennis, and now Cory and Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    I'll back anaconda on this one. If there is a reference, I wasnt familiar with it either
    It's not a reference and it doesn't need to be. The joke lies in the fact that it clearly isn't his real full name. I would bet it wasn't in the script either, he was doing something called riffing.

This whole exercise is absurdly over analyzing a very simple joke lacking that has no deeper meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
    This whole exercise is absurdly over analyzing a very simple joke lacking that has no deeper meaning.
    Yep.

If you watch the daily show a lot, Stewart regularly does this with people's names for fun.

The fact that Rand's real name isn't far off from what Jon said is kinda funny though

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    Yep.

If you watch the daily show a lot, Stewart regularly does this with people's names for fun.

The fact that Rand's real name isn't far off from what Jon said is kinda funny though
    He did the same with Mitt Romney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast