Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanctions: Russia strikes back - bans all US food, EU fruit and veg

Angry Sanctions: Russia strikes back - bans all US food, EU fruit and veg

Great. One step closer to global thermonuclear war, you know what they say about how the U.S. relates to countries without McDonalds.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/sanction...07-10196n.html
    Sanctions: Russia strikes back - bans all US food, EU fruit and veg
    August 7, 2014 - 6:32AM

Moscow/Donetsk, Ukraine: Russia will ban all imports of food from the United States and all fruit and vegetables from Europe, the state news agency reported on Wednesday, a sweeping response to Western sanctions imposed over its support for rebels in Ukraine.

The measures will hit consumers at home who rely on cheap imports, and on farmers in the West for whom Russia is a big market. Moscow is by far the biggest buyer of European fruit and vegetables and the second biggest importer of US poultry.

RIA quoted the spokesman for Russia's food safety watchdog VPSS, Alexei Alexeenko, as saying all European fruit and vegetables and all produce from the United States would be included in a ban drawn up on the orders of President Vladimir Putin to punish countries that imposed sanctions on Russia.

Earlier, Mr Alexeenko told Reuters bans on EU and US goods would be "quite substantial", and would specifically include US poultry, although he declined to give a full list of banned goods. He could not be reached again after the RIA report.
    Advertisement

The war of economic sanctions has escalated even as fighting has intensified on the ground in eastern Ukraine in the three weeks since a Malaysian airliner was shot down over territory held by pro-Russian rebels.

NATO said on Wednesday Russia had massed around 20,000 combat-ready troops on Ukraine's border and could use the pretext of a humanitarian mission to invade. It was the starkest warning yet from the Western alliance that Moscow could mount a ground assault on its neighbour.

As rebels have lost ground to Ukrainian government troops, Russia announced military exercises this week near the border.

"We're not going to guess what's on Russia's mind, but we can see what Russia is doing on the ground - and that is of great concern. Russia has amassed around 20,000 combat-ready troops on Ukraine's eastern border," NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said in an emailed statement.

Moscow could use "the pretext of a humanitarian or peace-keeping mission as an excuse to send troops into Eastern Ukraine", she said. A NATO military officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Russia's build-up at the border included tanks, infantry, artillery, air defence systems, logistics troops, special forces, and aircraft.

A Russian defence ministry spokesman dismissed the NATO accusations: "We've been hearing this for three months already."

Moscow annexed Ukraine's Crimea peninsula in the Black Sea in March, and Western countries say it has funded and armed pro-Russian rebels since they rose up in east Ukraine in April.

Over the past two months, government troops have fought back, gaining ground against the rebels, who are led almost exclusively by Russian citizens and have managed to acquire tanks, missiles and other heavy weaponry that Kiev and its Western allies say can only have come from across the frontier.

Kiev said 18 Ukrainian servicemen had been killed and 54 injured in 25 separate clashes over the past day in eastern Ukraine. Military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said troops had been shelled from inside Russian territory and frontier guards had come under a four-hour mortar and artillery attack.

Fighting has intensified since Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crashed on July 17, killing all 298 people on board. Western countries say it was shot down by rebels with an advanced anti-aircraft missile supplied by Russia. Moscow denies blame, and the Russians who command the rebels deny they had such missiles.

The United States and the EU imposed sanctions on Russia that were mild at first but have been tightened sharply since the airliner was brought down, now targeting Russia's defence, oil and financial sectors.

On Wednesday, Putin ordered his government to come up with a list of agricultural products from countries that had imposed sanctions on Russia, which would be banned in retaliation. He told the government to avoid measures that would hurt Russian consumers, but the blanket bans reported by RIA were about as sweeping as could be.

Russia imported $US43 billion worth of food last year. According to the European Commission, Russia bought 28 percent of EU fruit exports and 21.5 percent of its vegetables in 2011.

It was the second biggest buyer of US poultry after Mexico last year, accounting for 8 per cent of US chicken meat exports, according to the US Department of Agriculture. US poultry has been ubiquitous in Russia since the early days after the Soviet Union, when cheap American chicken quarters sold at street markets were called "Bush's legs" after the president.
    Last edited by orenbus; 08-06-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If anyone thinks the Russians don't have a plan ten moves down the road I think they are mistaken. They are a nation of chess players. And they are not without resources.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0G409T20140804

U.S. chicken farmers latest caught in Russia sanction crosshairs

(Reuters) - Russia's threatened ban on U.S. poultry imports, the latest move in a sanctions skirmish over Moscow's support of rebels in Ukraine, has agriculture companies alert to the risks of a conflict that's already roiled trading of crops ranging from soy, beef and fruit to California pistachios.

Moscow has struck back against trade sanctions following the downing of a Malaysian jetliner last month by imposing food restrictions, and would add U.S. chickens to Ukrainian soy and other products Russia has blocked since it seized Crimea earlier this year: Australian beef, Latvian and Lithuanian pork, Moldovan fruit and Ukrainian juice.

Sanderson Farms Inc, the third-largest poultry producer in the U.S., is among American agricultural companies preparing to respond if Russia carries out plans, reported in Russian media this week, to restrict imports of U.S. poultry.

Russia is "using foreign trade as a political football" by threatening to limit poultry imports, Sanderson's Chief Financial Officer Mike Cockrell said. The Mississippi-based company is lining up other buyers for its chicken in case Moscow imposes a ban.

"We'd be crazy not to be making calls to alternative markets right now," he said.

Russia's move to limit agricultural trade is seen as a sign the conflict with Washington is heating up. Russia imported about $1.3 billion in U.S. food and agricultural products last year, or about 11 percent of all U.S. exports to the country, according to U.S. Census data.

U.S. pistachio farmers have seen sales to Russia, the seventh largest export market, cut nearly in half this year because political tensions have made Russian importers hesitant to make purchases, said Peter Vlazakis, export market coordinator for the American Pistachio Growers.

Pistachio exporters have "a legitimate fear" about the potential for trade disruptions, Vlazakis said.

Russians may turn for pistachios to Iran, the world's second largest producer after the United States.

Major grain trading houses also have been affected by the rising tension between the U.S. and Russia.

An armed group last month occupied a Cargill Inc [CARG.UL] sunflower-seed crushing plant in eastern Ukraine, a region supportive of the Putin government. And commodity trader Glencore is expected to have a hard time selling grain silos in the country

Last week, the farm sector's attention turned to poultry after Russia's Veterinary and Phyto-Sanitary Surveillance Service said it found signs of the antibiotic tracycline in four shipments of U.S. poultry. The service, known as VPSS or Rosselkhoznadzor in Russian, could not be reached for comment.

VPSS' threat to ban U.S. poultry imports, reported in government-controlled Russian media, came days after fresh U.S. and EU sanctions over Russia's support of rebels in Ukraine.

Russia is the second largest importer of U.S. broiler meat behind Mexico, buying 276,100 tonnes last year, or 8 percent of U.S. exports, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Russia's purchases from January through May 2014 represented 7 percent of U.S. exports.

U.S. poultry exporters and producers said there were no problems with the meat. For some, the situation was hardly their first time dealing with trade troubles with Russia.

Russia has repeatedly been accused by the West of using food safety concerns and its veterinary service as instruments to ban supplies from countries with which it has strained relations or to protect its own industry. Explicitly banning a country's products for political reasons would violate World Trade Organization rules.

Trade restrictions in prior years have caused some companies to back away from deals with Russian importers, said Jim Sumner, president of the USA Poultry & Egg Export Council.

The council has advised poultry companies to keep in contact with Russian importers so they will get early warnings should Moscow impose a ban.

Privately held poultry producer Perdue Farms is one company that does not export to Russia.

"In retrospect, that was probably a pretty smart move that Perdue made," Sumner said.

A Perdue spokeswoman told Reuters she did not know why the company did not deal with Russia.

For Russian President Vladimir Putin, targeting agricultural imports could be a low-cost way to retaliate against U.S. sanctions over Ukraine.

Other threats, especially any involving Russia's export of oil and gas shipments, likely would bring additional sanctions on Moscow, said Robert Kahn, a senior fellow for international economics at the Council on Foreign Relations.

Russian sanctions on farm products would be "quite painful" for the companies affected, although the macroeconomic effects on the U.S. economy would be small, he added.

"These are fully political decisions," Kahn said.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Smuggling, anyone?

I don't care for either side of this imperial battle, but I'm pleased the US regime seems to have met a superior match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

When Elephants fight, many Ants are killed.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    If anyone thinks the Russians don't have a plan ten moves down the road I think they are mistaken. They are a nation of chess players. And they are not without resources.
    There certainly are some smart people there. Not to be underestimated. There are some ruthless people too. From what I have heard from an uncle of mine that lived and worked there for a decade a lot of nice people too. I wouldn't mind to learn to speak Russian some time.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will the newly created surplus of poultry, fruits and veggies drop the prices in the U.S.?

- ML

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    Will the newly created surplus of poultry, fruits and veggies drop the prices in the U.S.?

- ML
    No. They will institute price buy backs in response to this act of aggression from Russian. Expect lots of borrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    There certainly are some smart people there. Not to be underestimated. There are some ruthless people too. From what I have heard from an uncle of mine that lived and worked there for a decade a lot of nice people too. I wouldn't mind to learn to speak Russian some time.
    There is much to respect about Russian culture. I think they have problems associated with going from feudalism to violent communism and now a thugocracy. They haven't had a chance to get a taste for liberty. I hope they do. I would like to visit there.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    No. They will institute price buy backs in response to this act of aggression from Russian. Expect lots of borrowing.
    Probably true. Emergency subsidies and millions of chickens being destroyed. Or maybe a chicken in every pot - that you pay five times the going price for through your taxes.

There is much to respect about Russian culture. I think they have problems associated with going from feudalism to violent communism and now a thugocracy. They haven't had a chance to get a taste for liberty. I hope they do. I would like to visit there.
    Beautiful place, beautiful culture, beautiful people. Damn shame the pols on both side of the Atlantic make it look bad.

ETA:
    I want me a balalaika (балалайка)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 08-06-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    That reads like a fortune cookie proverb.

This is an excellent assessment, Acala. You know, Russia and these BRICS nations (who are getting in on the In-house finacial clearing game too) are some of the largest competitors to western Agribusiness.

Very good posting...

There is a great deal of in depth reporting on this scenario around the forums if anyone is curious as to the path we'll most likely see.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-06-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Probably true. Emergency subsidies and millions of chickens being destroyed. Or maybe a chicken in every pot - that you pay five times the going price for through your taxes.
    If they throw away just ONE god damn chicken I am going to be pissed. I'm so sick of the government starving people to death.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much are they going to pay farmers not to plant,, to counterbalance the sanctions?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If they throw away just ONE god damn chicken I am going to be pissed. I'm so sick of the government starving people to death.

Good. Tit for Tat well deserved.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The Russians will kill off millions of its own citizens. Don't matter to them. I think Russia will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post

- ML
    i hope
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    $#@! you are probably right....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Expect these numbers to change.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4621.html

I can not see that being good for the US.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    I see it more like self defense, but yea even in self defense, innocent people still get hurt. Only if the US had not started with the sanctions. I mean, this is like the 5th round of sanctions by the US and its allies. One can only take so much beating before they start reacting.

Good on Russia, I hope American farmers can put some serious pressure on the US govt so they can stop all these stupid sanctions.

The US Govt loves to control everyone, every individual and wants to control every other Nation by means of Dependancy. Trying to put Santctions on Russia is the National Equivilant of "do what we tell you to do or we will cut off your Food Stamps". The problem is that the less that an entity (individual, company, or nation) is dependant on the US Govt, the less controllable they are. This is becoming exceedingly obvious that powerful nations are now telling the US to go piss up a rope because they will not be controlled by Dependancy on the US. Now, not that I have any great love for Russia, but I see this as a good thing. It means that US power around the world is recognizably less, which means the world may be a safer place if the US does not resort to Military Action to just take what they want from everyone.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

From someone who I respect much, they are saying that Putin is banking on building a wedge between the US and the EU. These Western sanctions as a united front are paper tigers. Wait till Russian energy prices skyrocket and Europe gets the short end of the deal. Then the divide between the EU and the US will grow in earnest.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Perdue would be ignorant to think that sanctions would not affect them also. More chicken in US means more competition. Perdue's bottom line will be affected.

A question to the economic scholars here... Does this mean the cost of chicken here will go down?
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast