Thread: Kurds go on offensive against ISIS

Kurds go on offensive against ISIS

Meanwhile, in former Northern Iraq, Kurdish Peshmerga forces have been involved in pitched battles with ISIS, primarily near Shangal. ISIS forces were able to take Shangal and some oil fields, and the Kurdish forces have been involved in a heavy counter-offensive to reclaim the area.

SHANGAL—Kurdish Peshmerga forces have entered Shangal, said military officials, and they have cornered militants of the Islamic State in parts of the town.

Rudaw reporter in the area said that units from the 10,000-strong Peshmarga force who had encircled the town earlier in the day are now in the town center and try to rout the Islamic militants.

The Peshmerga were able to enter Shangal following a heavy bombardment of the Rahman and Nasir sectors where the militants had taken position.

Meanwhile, a large Peshmerga forces have made their way to the Shangal mountainside where thousands of Yezidi families have taken shelter.

Rudaw reporter says that the Peshmerga have made progress in their counteroffensive near Zumar where they intend to cut off the IS militants from retreating into Syria.

The IS are said to have demolished the Zumar bridge in anticipation of the Peshmerga advance.

The Kurdish forces went on the offensive on Sunday after Islamic militants captured Shangal 200 kilometers west of Erbil.
    More:
    http://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/040820144
    Updates:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    For those who haven't put the pieces together yet, it appears that Obama has decided to provide air support for the Kurds in this battle. Still funny that the media fails to report the details.

And this is no surprise. Kurdish sources reported more than five days ago that Obama's military support was on the way.
    U.S. military aircraft launched the first airstrikes against militants in Iraq on Friday, the Pentagon said, hours after President Barack Obama opened the door to military action to protect the Kurdish-controlled city of Erbil from the advancing militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
    http://time.com/3092026/us-bomb-iraq-isis/
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 08-08-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am wondering how the $#@! can ISIS, who's numbers is 10k-20k, can manage to fight Syrian Army, Iraqi Army, Lebanese Army, Hezbollah, Kurdish forces, Iranian Revolutionary Guards?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    I am wondering how the $#@! can ISIS, who's numbers is 10k-20k, can manage to fight Syrian Army, Iraqi Army, Lebanese Army, Hezbollah, Kurdish forces, Iranian Revolutionary Guards?
    They like to spend a lot of time in Sunni areas where they are not opposed (yet).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

You've heard of soy filler? You know, the stuff cheap burger places use to turn twenty pounds of hamburger into 160 quarter pounders?

Well, welcome to the world of CIA filler. That's right folks. There are Americans 'advising' the $#@! out of people all 'round the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

you'd be amazed what 10-20k people can do when backed with US arms and SIGINT

For those who haven't put the pieces together yet, it appears that Obama has decided to provide air support for the Kurds in this battle. Still funny that the media fails to report the details.

And this is no surprise. Kurdish sources reported more than five days ago that Obama's military support was on the way.

you'd think the kurds would know better than to count on the US for support. fool me once, fool me twice... and all that jazz

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ISIS getting too close for comfort...

U.S. military aircraft launched the first airstrikes against militants in Iraq on Friday, the Pentagon said, hours after President Barack Obama opened the door to military action to protect the Kurdish-controlled city of Erbil from the advancing militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
    http://time.com/3092026/us-bomb-iraq-isis/

Guys, Obama/CIA want ISIS to win. They have been running them advanced weapons for years for the purpose of achieving precisely this outcome. Any airstrikes will be pro forma at best.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    you'd think the kurds would know better than to count on the US for support. fool me once, fool me twice... and all that jazz
    Yeah, they got burned a bit on that in the past, until the US no-fly zone was established after the first Gulf War. Déjŕ vu all over again.

They are in the middle of a tug of war. Israel and the US want to help them, and so does Iran. Neither want the other side involved.

Israel and the US want to help them, and so does Iran.
    not too sure about that being their motivation, see post above yours.

my prediction, the US getting involved will not end good for the Kurdish people.

They like to spend a lot of time in Sunni areas where they are not opposed (yet).
    You know, the Sunnis are the minorities in Iraq and in Syria, the army is made up majority Sunni and they too are being oppressed by the ISIS people. I think Turkey, Jordan, Saudi/many of the other gulf states, North Africans and even Chechnyans are what they use to man their armies. I seriously doubt that there is many places where these animals are welcomed in open arms.

Don't forget the Russia and the FSA if you believe the morons in the Obama administration. And their numbers easily replenished by wacked out gulf state jihadists.

If they were on the defensive I could understand them standing up to the badly organized and led Iraqi,Syrian and Kurd forces in Sunni areas who have nothing to lose but they are on the attack on all fronts.They are attacking the Kurds in hilly and mountain regions which favor defenders by a big margin plus the regions that they are attacking right now are Kurdish ,they are managing to push the Iraqi army from urban areas and military bases ( while the Iraqi army has a 15 to 1 advantage ) and are fighting the Syrians in open deserts while Syrian pilots after 3 years should be veterans of CAS missions.Truly unbelievable.

I don't know if you are watching some of the videos on live leak but they managed to take a Syrian army base with an artillery battery with 6 122 mm guns ,2-3 grads, a number of tanks/IFV`s and 800 soldiers that have been defending the base for 3 years and were heavily dug in.Also when they were attacked they even received air support .To win such a battle is no small thing.
    Last edited by Demigod; 08-08-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Build the crazy Islamists up.. Media hype them & then bomb 'em.

That is our routine

the organization of ISIS speaks of intelligence agency backing and funding. CIA, probably.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope ISIS gets annihilated.

US Consulate of the Central Intelligence of America is being threatened... can't have another Benghazi exposing covert operations of supporting terrorists.

Some other junk from US corporate media, WAPO 3 weeks ago:

Iraq's Kurds want US help to hold off Islamic State extremists

www.washingtonpost.com/...kurds...help.../3b98895c-...The Washington Post

by Loveday Morris - Jul 24, 2014 - The Kurds are supposed to receive a share of U.S.-supplied weapons to Iraq, but they have gotten “not a single bullet,” Barzani said

U.S. Security Cooperation and Kurdistan's Peshmerga - The Washington Institute for Near East Policy

Consulate General of the United States, Erbil, Iraq Here yah go... OPS HOUSE, Arbil-Erbil, Iraq.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-08-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Very interesting analysis on RT.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    I hope ISIS gets annihilated.
    You can hope that..
    but be realistic in your expectations.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I'm not optimistic that any of this will result in the birth of a free republic.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I have no problem with our helping the innocents on that mountain what so ever. Drop em all the supplies they need and keep the wolves off their backs and help the Kurds to defend their territory in every way possible short of putting US boots on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    I have no problem with our helping the innocents on that mountain what so ever. Drop em all the supplies they need and keep the wolves off their backs and help the Kurds to defend their territory in every way possible short of putting US boots on the ground.
    Especially since we caused many of their problems.

Kind of a repeat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Provide_Comfort

We did airdrops after Desert Storm to the Kurds up in the mountains after Saddam attacked them for supporting the US military. And then with the UN set up a no fly zone above the 36th parallel along with restrictions where the Iraqi military could operate. Once, two hours before I showed up, my buddy "Trigger" shot down one of Saddam's MIGs flying north to attack us. A couple of time I was turning hot to intercept unknown aircraft only to have AWACS scream to break it off. The Turks always had a representative on our AWACS aircraft. They wouldn't tell us in advance of there operations. But The Turks would go to those northern mountains to bomb the "unfriendly" Kurds, the PKK.

It made my job a little more risky as the Turks flew similar fighters. I always wondered if the Kurds we were there to protect might try to shot me down mistaken me for a Turk fighter.
    Last edited by Danke; 08-08-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Absolutely....we ARE largely responsible for their predicament. I only hope that we don't give that POS Maliki and his minions sanctuary here, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he and his com-padres have digs in several places, like a Colorado chalet in Aspen and a bungalow in Maui, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post

my prediction, the US getting involved will not end good for the Kurdish people.
    is it ever? for anyone?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom