Thread: Systema?KravMaga?UnadulteratedRage?

Question Systema?KravMaga?UnadulteratedRage?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would give me some advice in choosing a martial art to learn. I have done some research, and watched many videos and narrowed my choices to Systema or Krav Maga since both seem to be effective systems that, when learned, equip a person with skills that cover a wide range of possible scenarios EG Knife, gun, bat, et al. (As opposed to Muay Thai- not to say that $#@! isn't brutal). I really like what I have seen of Systema so far, but also Krav Maga. I am tired of not having the tools to help someone should they really need it.

The other thing that I like about Systema, or what I've seen, is that proficiency allows a person to neutralize a threat without necessarily inflecting a great amount of harm, which is desirable here in Chicago where drunk Cubs fans roam the streets. Krav Maga seems like it is all or nothing.

I was just hoping that someone here could give me some advice as to which, or other, they think is more practical for self defense. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I looked into Krav Maga, but decided I didn't really want to get that close. I finally settled on .45 ACP.

It really depends on what you want out of it.

If you want a simply 'combat effective' martial art, Krav Maga and the like would suffice.
    If you want combat with history and tradition with emphasis on personal and spiritual refinement, choosing a Japanese art(Shotokan, Taijutsu, Aikido, Judo, Jujitsu, etc) or a Chinese System (WuShu, Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, etc) would be better. That's not including weapons-based styles like Kendo, Kyudo, Iaido, etc.

Having taken classes in almost all of these, to include MMA and Krav Maga, I prefer Japanese styles like Okinawan Karate, Shotokan, even Korean Tae Kwon Do for the simple reason that they are very effective striking styles, they require and develop personal discipline, and they harness mettle and temper the spirit.

If all you want is to learn how to fight, just go to an MMA gym that encompasses Striking, Grappling, Chokes, Sweeps, and Submissions... good all around.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I looked into Krav Maga, but decided I didn't really want to get that close. I finally settled on .45 ACP.
    I live in Chicago--My rights in that respect have been revoked. It's not fighting, MMA involves too much time on the ground. The other thing is Systema classes are 1/5th the cost of Krav Maga and other disciplines. Oh, and sorry for posting this in the wrong place. I feel like I am too old and too broke to pursue any of the disciplines that have been developed by Asiatic peoples. I mean, I can box adequately but I want to be able to intervene and protect others and I feel, probably because I am not that proficient at it, that straight up boxing isn't quite enough. Thanks though, I wish I would have learned one of the Asian styles when I was younger.
    Last edited by bolil; 08-01-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    I live in Chicago--My rights in that respect have been revoked. It's not fighting, MMA involves too much time on the ground. The other thing is Systema classes are 1/5th the cost of Krav Maga and other disciplines. Oh, and sorry for posting this in the wrong place. I feel like I am too old and too broke to pursue any of the disciplines that have been developed by Asiatic peoples. I mean, I can box adequately but I want to be able to intervene and protect others and I feel, probably because I am not that proficient at it, that straight up boxing isn't quite enough. Thanks though, I wish I would have learned one of the Asian styles when I was younger.
    Age was a significant determining factor in my decision too.

From the recent Chicago news over the last couple of weeks, it doesn't seem that firearm acquisition is really that much of a challenge.

The best self defense is avoiding dangerous situations before they trap you.
    The second best self defense is running away once trouble starts but before you are caught.
    The third best self defense is breaking free and running away.
    The fourth best self defense is a gun.
    Everything else beyond that sucks because they will always outnumber you and being able to reliably defend yourself without a weapon against two or more attackers who will almost always have the advantage of surprise and may also have weapons will take years if not decades if not a lifetime.

But if you want to train for fun or fitness or spiritual disciplne, that's another matter.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Age was a significant determining factor in my decision too.

From the recent Chicago news over the last couple of weeks, it doesn't seem that firearm acquisition is really that much of a challenge.
    Oh, yeah, well I don't belong to the Blue Lights or the GDs...

Acala, same advice my pop gave me. Still, I have my reasons (witnessed a guy get jumped, didn't help, doesn't feel good wont watch again. I mean I was on the third story of a building looking out)

I wish I could move this down a subset. Stupid mis-clicks.
    Last edited by bolil; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.