Thread: Eric Cantor to resign from Congress on August 18

Eric Cantor to resign from Congress on August 18

Cantor to resign from Congress on Aug. 18

He asks governor for Nov. 4 special election so winner can take office immediately

Less than two months after his stunning primary upset and just hours after stepping down as House majority leader, Rep. Eric Cantor said Thursday that he will resign his seat in the House of Representatives effective Aug. 18.

“I want to make sure that the constituents in the 7th District will have a voice in what will be a very consequential lame-duck session,” Cantor said in an exclusive interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch on Thursday afternoon.

Cantor said he has asked Gov. Terry McAuliffe to call a special election for his district that coincides with the general election on Nov. 4.

By having a special election in November, the winner would take office immediately, rather than in January with the next Congress.

More:
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/st...af52cbcc7.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's the rush Douche Bag? I heard yah peddling Fascism into yesterday's microphones and cameras on Capital Hill. Rushing to the "Second Hand Bin" of self profiting Washington DC leeches? Oh, prefect fit to join fellow trash; Santorum, Gingrich, etc... maybe a Wall Street bankster slot, like your wife.

Cantor is scum, humilliated, and can't even finish his term... his true colors bleed more than one may think.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    What's the rush Douche Bag?
    Other republicans can run in a special election.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Ha interesting move
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

(ahem, cough, cough)

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    What's the rush Douche Bag?
    He's trying to ensure that Dave Brat doesn't make it past the General.

These douchebag Republicans act all offended when we don't like a Republican nominee, but when the Nominee is one of us they will gladly campaign for the f'n democrat to keep us out. They are hypocrites, liars, and psychopaths.

BTW I was just up in Dave Brat territory Thursday-ish for work.

Dilute the Republican vote......
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Does that mean that the district committee will be caucusing someone in for the interim (Aug 18 to the special election?)

Games, damned games and politicians!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Should we just call him a WAH-mbulance?

Can you post a source so we can share this to educate people?
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Ok I can't lie. This was a brilliant move on their part.

Honestly, it's probably as simple as that he has very high paying lobbying job lined up and sees no reason to keep putting off beginning to earn that income.

So now all depends on whether MacAulliffe, a Democrat, is interested in holding a special election on the day of the general election. What motive would he have, since the general would decide the outcome anyway, and why would he want a (likely) Republican to be taking office right after anyway? If he does hold it, we'll know the elite plotting to defeat Tea Party Brat is bi-partisan.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 08-02-2014 at 02:54 AM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

No $#@!?? I swear, I'm done voting GOP. At this point its kinda like a bandaid. Tear it off slowly = vote GOP. Tear the damn thing off fast = DNC

If you have time and your Barf Bag close... watch the 'Party of One' Douchebags give Eric Cantor a standing ovation... a hug from Communist Steny Hoyer, and Tears from the balling Progressive establishment leader Boehner.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Does that mean that the district committee will be caucusing someone in for the interim (Aug 18 to the special election?)
    No, the seat remains empty between the time of retirement and the special election. So one less Republican in the House for that period.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Can you post a source so we can share this to educate people?
    When the special election is called, I can post a link to it, but until then, I'm just going on how special elections have worked in the past here in Virginia. There may be a reference in State law that spells it out but I'm not in a position to look that up right now.

Here's how it works. When the governor calls for a special election, there will be a filing deadline for candidates. The only two recognized parties here are GOP and Dem. They can nominate their candidates through a mass meeting, firehouse primary, caucus, etc. The 7th CD chairs for each party would then simply report the names of their candidates to the election officials. 3rd party or independent candidates will have to collect signatures to get on the special election ballot.

The GOP nominating process should nominate Brat to be in the special election and complete Cantor's unexpired term, but that's not guaranteed. It's possible for another Republican to seek the nomination for the unexpired term. Why? It's possible that someone might want to run for the special and while campaigning for that, run a write-in campaign for the general. Or maybe someone doesn't want to interfere with the general and just wants to be in the House for a couple months to qualify for the pension and other benefits.

I doubt anyone will challenge Brat for the nomination in the special election but mentioned it because it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Honestly, it's probably as simple as that he has very high paying lobbying job lined up and sees no reason to keep putting off beginning to earn that income.
    This^ is probably the most likely reason.

One other possibility is that this is a plan to sucker McAuliffe into not calling the special election. He may not want to have another Republican in the House and refuse to call the election. If he does that, the obvious partisanship could knock Mark Warner's (D) points down a bit (guilt by association) and give Ed Gillespie (R) a talking point. I expect McAuliffe to call the special election though.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When the special election is called, I can post a link to it, but until then, I'm just going on how special elections have worked in the past here in Virginia. There may be a reference in State law that spells it out but I'm not in a position to look that up right now.

Here's how it works. When the governor calls for a special election, there will be a filing deadline for candidates. The only two recognized parties here are GOP and Dem. They can nominate their candidates through a mass meeting, firehouse primary, caucus, etc. The 7th CD chairs for each party would then simply report the names of their candidates to the election officials. 3rd party or independent candidates will have to collect signatures to get on the special election ballot.

The GOP nominating process should nominate Brat to be in the special election and complete Cantor's unexpired term, but that's not guaranteed. It's possible for another Republican to seek the nomination for the unexpired term. Why? It's possible that someone might want to run for the special and while campaigning for that, run a write-in campaign for the general. Or maybe someone doesn't want to interfere with the general and just wants to be in the House for a couple months to qualify for the pension and other benefits.
    I tend to believe, as always, they have something nefarious planned. We shall see.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I tend to believe, as always, they have something nefarious planned. We shall see.
    Well, just because Cantor is asking for a special election in November, that doesn't mean it will happen that way. McAuliffe could call one for late September or October if he thought it would give the Democrats an advantage. I think he has to give something like 30-45 days notice, so he won't be calling for one in August.

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    This. Cantor's out of leadership, so many of the perks he enjoyed while being majority leader are no longer available. The guy likely wanted to make some wall street money a little early, and his ego could not take spending the rest of the congress as a backbencher.

Brat's fundraising has impressed many Republicans,and hopefully that does deter any challenger from heading his way.

he could set the special for the same day as election day. that is what happened with Massie. and Ron

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    he could set the special for the same day as election day. that is what happened with Massie. and Ron
    The Governor did:
    https://governor.virginia.gov/news/n...articleId=5725

The GOP set a mass meeting for this Thursday to select their nominee for the Special Election. However, if no else besides Brat files as a candidate by Wednesday, then the meeting is cancelled and Brat will be the nominee. I doubt anyone will pay the $2,500 filing fee to challenge Brat.