Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on gaming?

Opinion on gaming?

Back when I was in High School one of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill. This was around the time Doom came out. Is that how people view gaming? If so the video game industry needs a massive PR campaign. Do you have any negative feelings on this form of entertainment?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am an old phart.
    I play World of Warcraft (when I have a game card)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

NUKE VEGAS!

Oh Wait! You said gaming, not gambling....

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklibergamer34 View Post
    Back when I was in High School one of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill.

Was it really that, or did your teacher just not want to hang out with a bunch of... um... (no offense!) gaming nerds?

Treat people as individuals and nonsense like this becomes noise, nothing more.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

I do have a negative view of PC gaming especially soul, time and money stealing genres like MMORPG's and mobile games(especially the free ones that end up costing you more than PS3 triple A first week release titles). But I am totally ok with console games.

I play console games when I can on PS3. I play games like Borderlands 2, Far cry 3 atm so if any of you noobs need someone to play and chat with while killing mobs. I also have battlefield 4 but I am yet to start playing it. I picked up so many titles for cheap that at the rate I am going, I would be 60 before I complete them all. But I am most established in borderlands 2 if anyone wants to play with me on PS system.

Btw that is one heck of a 1st post. I hope you not going to be talking about gaming all the time like that GOPround guy inserted gay issues with every topic

There is nothing wrong with gaming. Some people like to read a book, others like to watch movies, and even more like to game.

Can't wait for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset. Thats only the first step on the path to total immersion - all five senses will eventually be used.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I am pretty good at Team Fortress 2.

I am pro gaming.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I like soul time and money stealing mmorpg's.

I just don't have a soul, time or money to do it as much as I used to. Life... :/

Love some battlefield too.

I don't appreciate video games but I've got nothing against 'em either...

My son on the other hand is really into them...

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I like soul time and money stealing mmorpg's.
    WoW

And I thought I had it tough.
    The cost of the game is less than one could spend on a night out and a few beers.
    A game card cost's $30,, That is .50 cents a day. (Assumes you have internet capability)

edit,,

It is my occasional escape from politics/religion.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I am a gamer... been gaming since Duke Nukem, Doom, Dune, Command and Conquer, Unreal, Quake, Half-Life, Homeworld, etc...

Gamer for life, y'all
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

You should checkout Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore some time.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...etree/advanced

And it is also a social outlet.. (besides here)
    Especially in the Winter.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I loved HL2 (then I also played lots of HL2-DM) or better yet, just play L4D2 (Zombie FPS) to prepare for surviving an Ebola outbreak panic

Last edited by FindLiberty; 08-01-2014 at 06:09 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I do have a negative view of PC gaming especially soul, time and money stealing genres like MMORPG's and mobile games(especially the free ones that end up costing you more than PS3 triple A first week release titles). But I am totally ok with console games.

I play console games when I can on PS3. I play games like Borderlands 2, Far cry 3 atm so if any of you noobs need someone to play and chat with while killing mobs. I also have battlefield 4 but I am yet to start playing it. I picked up so many titles for cheap that at the rate I am going, I would be 60 before I complete them all. But I am most established in borderlands 2 if anyone wants to play with me on PS system.

Btw that is one heck of a 1st post. I hope you not going to be talking about gaming all the time like that GOPround guy inserted gay issues with every topic
    FPS were initially PC games. All three of the titles you mentioned are also on PC, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

In the winter when I am not as busy the ole lady and myself travel through Middle-Earth in Lord of the Rings online. F2P.

Dorks. The whole lot of you.

TRON!

Last edited by jkr; 08-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Way too old for games, but I admire the artistic skill of most game designers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Way too old for games, but I admire the artistic skill of most game designers.
    One of my Guild mates is 70 (+).
    Most are 40s up. A few kids too,, but intelligent and well behaved kids. (*family Guild)

(*I am adopted)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I used to like that game called Riven. And then Myst which was a sequel. Or maybe the other way around. I don't remember. Besides those two I liked the Age of Empires series.

As far as an opinion on gaming itself, I suppose you get out of it what you put into it. For me it was just something I'd play once in a while if I was bored and had some downtime and didn't have any place to be or anything to do and so it would sometimes take me a few weeks to finish a level or whatever. Save...play later...save again...play later...that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-01-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    One of my Guild mates is 70 (+).
    Most are 40s up. A few kids too,, but intelligent and well behaved kids. (*family Guild)

(*I am adopted)
    Fair enough. Guess I should say that I "grew away" from games. (that is, I lost interest in them while exploring other things)
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I used to like that game called Riven. And then Myst which was a sequel. Or maybe the other way around. I don't remember. Besides those two I liked the Age of Empires series.

As far as an opinion on gaming itself, I suppose you get out of it what you put into it. For me it was just something I'd play once in a while if I was bored and had some downtime and didn't have any place to be or anything to do and so it would sometimes take me a few weeks to finish a level or whatever. Save...play later...save again...play later...that kind of thing.
    I've played Myst, and I'm pretty sure Riven was the sequel.

This is a really good documentary about gaming:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3214002/

Spacewar on the PDP-1.

The Odyssey was slightly before my time, but I remember seeing one in action, with the overlays you had to stick on the TV screen to play:

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    There is nothing wrong with gaming. Some people like to read a book, others like to watch movies, and even more like to game.

Can't wait for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset. Thats only the first step on the path to total immersion - all five senses will eventually be used.
    I like books .

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Dorks. The whole lot of you.
    Don't make me post the Ron Paul Run through Azeroth.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I like books .
    You remind me of another Old Phart in my Guild.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

To the OP,, who has not responded yet

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklibergamer34 View Post
    Back when I was in High School one of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill. This was around the time Doom came out. Is that how people view gaming? If so the video game industry needs a massive PR campaign. Do you have any negative feelings on this form of entertainment?
    Not much of a teacher then.
    This has been a reality since Cain and Able.

As has been a constant battle between good and evil, to put it in it's simplest terms.

I certainly hope he is not a teacher of History.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast