Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CDC is bringing Ebola patient to Emory University in Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    lol @ panic thread.
    Most of the "panic" in this thread is sarcasm. This is about questioning the scientific and medical wisdom of bringing ebola patients into the US when they are not currently here.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ebola outbreak: British Airways suspends flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia over virus
    British Airways says the 'deteriorating public health situation' relating to the Ebola virus is why they have suspended flights until August 31

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...ver-virus.html

British Airways has cancelled flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia, cutting off the only direct links between Britain and the Ebola-infected area of west Africa.

The airline, which operates a direct flight four times a week from London to Sierra Leone and on to Liberia, suspended the flight “due to the deteriorating public health situation both countries”.

It follows warnings at the weekend from the World Health Organisation that the outbreak, which has killed nearly 900 people since February, was spreading faster than it could be controlled. Health officials are believed to be particularly concerned about Liberia, where staff are understood have fled hospitals in some areas because of fears that they themselves could become infected.

A statement from British Airways sent to travel companies said: “British Airways services from London Heathrow to Freetown and Monrovia will be temporarily suspended from tomorrow, 6 August until 31 August 2014, due to the deteriorating public health situation in both countries.”

The BA move follows some other international airlines serving the two countries, as well as neighbouring Guinea, which is also affected, though others are still operating to all three.

It comes as health officials revealed that an American who died of Ebola in Nigeria last month is now believed to have infected at least eight other people with the disease.

Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian finance ministry employee with joint American and Liberian citizenship, died in the capital, Lagos, shortly after arriving by air.

Nigeria’s health commissioner, Jide Idris, said all of the eight suspected Ebola cases in Lagos involved people who had been in contact with Mr Sawyer. So far two were confirmed as having the disease, one of them a doctor who had looked after him.

Since Mr Saywer’s case emerged, health officials have tried to find and monitor anyone who came into contact with him, including fellow plane passengers at higher risk because of the enclosed environment.

Six others known to have made contact with Mr Sawyer have been put into quarantine but are not yet showing symptoms. It was not clear whether they had been in touch with Mr Sawyer before or after his plane journey.

A specially-equipped charter plane also transported Nancy Writebol, an Ebola-stricken American aid worker, to the disease hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, where her colleague Dr Kent Brantly was already receiving treatment. There is no cure or vaccine for Ebola, but both US patients have received an experimental serum.

Bruce Johnson, president of the missionary group for which Ms Writebol works, said it was having less effect on her than on Mr Brantly because of her “more weakened condition”.

Ms Writebol arrived at the hospital in Atlanta shortly before 1pm and was wheeled into the hospital strapped onto a gurney and dressed in a protective suit. She did not walk, as Dr Brantly had when he arrived at the hospital last weekend.

Separately, doctors in New York were testing a patient with symptoms similar to those of Ebola - vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and sometimes bleeding - who had recently travelled to West Africa, but said it was not likely to be the disease. However, David Reich, a spokesman for the Mount Sinai Hospital, said: “Odds are this is not Ebola. It’s much more likely it’s a much more common condition.”

In Wales, health officials said an unnamed person believed to have come into contact with the virus in west Africa was in precautionary quarantine. Public Health Wales said: “The individual does not have symptoms of Ebola and there are no cases of Ebola in Wales.”

The World Bank has pledged up to £120 million ($200 million) to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to help those nations contain the outbreak.

Last edited by orenbus; 08-05-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I will say that I will be avoiding Atlanta for a while.
    Yeah, but Atlanta may not avoid you.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Yeah, but Atlanta may not avoid you.
    yeah whoever authorized them to come to the U.S is a $#@!ing bio-terrorist in my book. You couldn't give me enough money to allow someone with a disease with over a 50% fatality rate into the country. Thank God I don't live in Georgia, and may He save those who live there.

They are also pretty selfish coming back to the U.S. when they should have known the risks of going to those African countries in order to try to help them.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    yeah whoever authorized them to come to the U.S is a $#@!ing bio-terrorist in my book. You couldn't give me enough money to allow someone with a disease with over a 50% fatality rate into the country. Thank God I don't live in Georgia, and may He save those who live there.

They are also pretty selfish coming back to the U.S. when they should have known the risks of going to those African countries in order to try to help them.
    Agreed. If I were forced to bet, I would bet that the virus remains contained (at least from this particular action), but I still would not even introduce the risk to begin with.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Seems hospitals are taking the possibility of outbreak seriously considering the rising amount of news articles about hospitals nationwide running ebola tests on patients with symptoms that fit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/he...says.html?_r=0

The media would never announce a confirmed case though, particularly not in NYC. Also note that NYC recently performed a drill on a bio attack scenario.....
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Here's one Doctor's take on importing ebola to the US.

The former director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University and Hospital, explained a simple medical mistake could cause the disease to spread within the borders of the United States because the bodily fluids of an infected patients remain infected for many days.

When questioned whether the fear in the Untied States is a valid, Carson answered, "It is very real. It is a highly contagious disease and all it requires is some infractions in procedures and all of a sudden you have got more spread and that's what I'm afraid of."
    More:
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-T...Patients-to-US
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fascinating stuff right here, as a public health student and medical professional. It's usually rare for doctors to study treatments and trial drugs for Ebola due to it's quick (and large) mortality rate. Along with the serum, they also gave the doctor a transfusion of blood from a child he helped save from Ebola, which can help scientists understand if antibodies work.

because the bodily fluids of an infected patients remain infected for many days.
    In semen it can live for weeks after all symptoms have cleared (7 weeks).

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

I told Hubby three nights ago; this victim will be cured pretty quickly ... They will announce a new vaccine that works for Ebola; scare the chit out of everyone and Ebola vaccine will become mandatory in the U.S. carrying an identity chip.

What could go wrong...oh. Oops! Eight nurses who had direct contact with Patrick Sawyer in Nigeria are showing signs of infection. Now think about all those people trapped with him on that flight.

Nigeria Acknowledges Slow Response in Ebola Case
    Nigerian health authorities acknowledged Tuesday that they did not immediately quarantine a sick airline passenger who later died of Ebola, announcing that eight health workers who had direct contact with him were now in isolation with symptoms of the disease.

Initially authorities told reporters that the risk of any exposure to others was minimal because Sawyer was whisked into isolation after arriving at the airport with symptoms of Ebola.

But Lagos state health commissioner Jide Idris said Tuesday that the nature of his disease "was not known" the first day, and only after further investigation did they suspect Ebola. Sawyer's sister had died in Liberia from the disease, which has no proven cure or treatment.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...ptoms-24848708
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    What could go wrong...oh. Oops! Eight nurses who had direct contact with Patrick Sawyer in Nigeria are showing signs of infection. Now think about all those people trapped with him on that flight.
    No worries. They had connecting flights to every corner of the globe, but with that long incubation period, we all have several weeks to prep for the zombie apocalypse.

Man in Saudi Arabia dies from what appears to be Ebola.

http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabian-...115215843.html
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    This bolded part says the exact opposite of "yeah, it's airborne." Is English not your first language?
    Did someone flunk reading comprehension... Did you notice that the year of publication was added to cite 3 and BOLDED... gee, why would I have done that...

I guess you don't know what "alveoli" means, so can't be that hard on ya. Cite 4 is the important one.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I haven't gotten a feel for whether the Ebola craze lately is more empty hype like SARS and H1N1 or whether this is a serious concern. Having said that, I don't see why an infected Ebola patient (American or not) would be brought back to the US for 'treatment', seeing how there is no actual treatment protocol for the disease other than lots of fluids and prayers. Seems like an unnecessary risk at the least.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...patient/ngrtm/

Atlanta's mayor was at Bilderberg this year.
    It should be interesting to note how this person is moved here... unless he is in fully contained isolation, I would have to question the motives of those moving him. Ebola is wildly contagious. The official line is that it is not airborne, but is that really true? The official description of the bug is inconsistent. They say that it is transmissible via ANY bodily fluid and that the virus can survive for at least a couple of hours outside of a host environment. If these are to be taken as true, how can it not be airborne transmissible? An infected man sneezes and the virus is borne on droplets. One of those ends up on your skin and the virus is provided a pathway through the skin via pores into its new home. If this is not possible, I would suggest that CDC or someone else will need to do some dancing in order that the rest of us might understand why.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenager For Ron Paul View Post
    Sounds to me like the CDC is scared $#@!less that the disease has mutated and become, say, more easily transmissible, and so are desperate to see what exactly is going on with the virus, and see if there is a risk of it spreading worldwide. The reason I think it has mutated and become more transmissible is: a) the death rate is significantly lower than previous breakouts, (60% compared to 90+%), which I think indicates a mutation/change in the virus, and b) these 2 American doctors got the disease in spite of wearing protective suits, which would isolate them from infected individuals bodily fluids (bodily fluids are the way ebola has spread in previous outbreaks), which makes me think that the virus could be transmitted in other ways. Also note that although the death rate is lower, the absolute number of deaths is way higher than previous outbreaks.
    No. If they need samples, they can take blood, keep it viable long enough to get it into a US laboratory and do their work. There seems to be little need for a human host. There are plenty of mice and rats to infect, as well as monkeys, not to mention Obama.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That would be rude.

And THAT would be an evasion of the question. Try giving a forthright answer for once, or am I asking a skunk to croak like a frog?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    U.S. government officials are urging the public to remain confident in the health-care system’s ability to keep the deadly disease isolated.
    I know precisely what it is that if happening, and it is so simple you will all disbelieve me.

Theye are, in a very real sense, like young children. In this case, they are acting as children whose curiosity has gotten the better of them and they start poking something... perhaps a pit-viper, or what have you. "I wonder what will happen if I do this..." Theye are so bemused with power that this whole "running the world" deal has become something of a giant toy, and to be honest, I think the children are getting bored. We all know too well what happens when bored children are left alone in the house.

So in a nutshell, we are ruled by a herd of bored children who are pushing the envelopes to amuse themselves and to breathe new life into that feeling of power so that they may again experience the thrills they used to get. It's just like a heroin addict upping his dose because the current cargo ain't cuttin' it no mo'. This brand of bemusement carries its own set of intrinsic hazards, the most noteworthy being perceptual creep wherein the landscape, changing slowly at first, gives rise to the readjustment of the psyche as to what defines "normal". Were Rip Van Winkle to awaken today after his 150 year long sleep, he'd go right back to dreaming because his mind would not be able to accept anything he saw today as "normal". Our esteemed leaders cannot tell they have gone insane - they really do think they are on top of things when in fact they are profoundly psychotic.

This is a problem of fundamental perceptual cognition and it will not correct itself. Psychotics do not typically "wake up", smell the coffee, say to themselves "holy $#@!", and proceed to make the necessary adjustments. Rather, they get crazier by the day, often to the point of becoming dangerous to themselves or others and often must be stopped precisely because they see no reason to stop of their own accord. This is why we call them "crazy", and crazy is what Theye are, and Theye are not going to take the first step to correcting themselves because they see nothing amiss, but rather that it is all of the rest of us who need correcting. Taken in this light, do the things to which we all bear daily witness not begin to make better sense as to root causation?

Theye are hopping, raving, barking mad loonies who will do nothing to self-correct. It therefore falls to the rest of us to decide whether we wish to remain Theire playthings with which they poke in child-like experimentation to divert their minds from the crushing boredom that is their miserable, if financially well-heeled, existences. Being well-heeled, powerful, and absolutely certain Theye are right and the rest are dangerously wrong, They become adversaries of the most hazardous sorts, will not listen to reason, and therefore force upon the rest of us the choice to default into chattel status or to stop them with material non-equivocation. Theye will have to be forcibly removed and either be put into cages, exiled to other corners of the globe, or killed outright. This is not a particularly pleasing set of options, but this is the hand we now hold and the question rests before us. We can choose positively, either to just toss up our hands and cry "uncle", letting Themme have their ways, or we can physically remove them by whatever means become necessary to affect the changes that might help deliver us from some of the greater evil in this world. Or, we can simply choose not to choose and in so doing, choose the default which hands Themme victory at zero additional cost to them and infinite cost to the rest.

Choice is here. Choice is ours. Time is now.

Oh, and I won't be holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Nano-silver? Is she referring to colloidal silver? If so, why the marketing lingo? What is she really selling? If nothing, she should lay off the bull$#@! terms because it puts smart people on red-alert with abundant justification. If there is a difference, perhaps she may have made mention of that. There is contention of a difference between biologically inactive silver colloids and antimicrobial silver ions. I've not studied this enough to venture a guess as to whether this is a legitimate issue or more bull$#@!.

As for colloidal silver, what she claims is correct; it kills EVERYTHING. Because of this, it must be used with some caution. For an ebola case, I would tend to think IV would be the way to administer it, for two reasons. Firstly, it is not entirely clear what effect the GI processes have on the silver, but many claim that the reaction products render it less-effective at best and completely ineffective at worst. Direct introduction to the blood stream would eliminate this hazard. I've never used IV silver and do not know if it can be done without poisoning the patient, so I have some research to do.

I also take issue with the statement that it is non-toxic. This is patently false, as stated. The more accurate description is that it is of extremely low toxicity. However, silver accumulates in the body and can result in argyria, turning the skin an eerie bluish hue. I do not recall if the health effects are serious beyond making one a candidate to join the Blue Man act.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I told Hubby three nights ago; this victim will be cured pretty quickly ... They will announce a new vaccine that works for Ebola; scare the chit out of everyone and Ebola vaccine will become mandatory in the U.S. carrying an identity chip.
    http://osnetdaily.com/2014/08/monsan...-ebola-itself/

Spain is now importing Ebola from Liberia.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...-ebola-n173816

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    ROTGLMAO!!!!

thanks for sharing!

-t

The latest in an eternal stream of hysteria and panic. Bring it on revenue generators. Bring it on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast