Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Rand Paul inspire you?

Does Rand Paul inspire you?

This is not a Rand-Paul-Bashing thread... I support Rand and will advocate liberty principles to advance his political career.

But I've been watching and reading about "Leaders" versus "those who lead" and the like. What was the magic formula that birthed the Ron Paul Revolution? I've come to the conclusion that it was INSPIRATION. Dr. Paul (the elder) told us what he believed not what his "plan" was to fix things if he were elected. He inspired a whole generation of people across all ages, demographics, ethnicities, and political spectrum not because he was a great politician, but because he knew the "WHY?" He knew WHY he believed what he believed and he simply told us about it. He saw what, in his view, was wrong with our government today and explained it in simple terms. He INSPIRED people to stand in the snow for him and to put up signs and stencils for him and to donate to him and to be a part of what he was expressing. He inspired people and gave people hope, period.

Here is a video from TED talks that speaks more to my thoughts on "INSPIRATION" speech: (Sinek was also recently hosted on Glenn Beck but they discussed other things)

Great line was, "Martin Luther King said 'I have a dream' not 'I have a plan!'"

I simply bring it up because I don't feel particularly inspired by Rand Paul lately... if I ever did. I think if he ever has hopes of winning the presidency, he will need to work more on telling us what he believes and why, versus what he plans on doing.... His campaign will need to INSPIRE, and not simply be about throwing 'red meat' to 'the base' to win the nomination. I think this is a crucial ingredient come 2015... heck even today!

Thoughts?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The idea of a libertarian on the Supreme Court and neocons driven out of the Republican party inspires me. The persona who accomplishes those tasks, and if its Rand, how Rand goes about getting elected, matters less to me.

Obama inspired people. Look where that got us.
    Last edited by LibertyEsq; 07-31-2014 at 03:07 PM.

He inspires me, I think he's doing a darn good job. His style is just different from his father: Ron is blunt and straight to the point like a bull. Randal is more like a Torero.

Rand absolutely inspires. A chance to dramatically change the political landscape where the party in power could end up being heavily libertarian? Sign me up!
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

He doesn't invoke inspiration like Ron does. But I think that's because Ron has so much history behind him. Once Rand takes and delivers a few body blows in the debates then it should be better.

I agree. Rand is on the right track, but he REALLY lacks that magic, ya know? Again, I support Rand, but I don't think it should be an 'ends justify the means' thing.... I guess I just want there to be a RAND PAUL MOVEMENT (dare I say revolution) and not just a Rand Paul Campaign for President 2016.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Rand Paul 2016!!!! But with that said, no one inspires me like Dr. Ron Paul. The man doesn't pander, he stands on principle even when being boo'd on national television. IF that doesn't inspire, I don't know what does.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I agree. Rand is on the right track, but he REALLY lacks that magic, ya know? Again, I support Rand, but I don't think it should be an 'ends justify the means' thing.... I guess I just want there to be a RAND PAUL MOVEMENT (dare I say revolution) and not just a Rand Paul Campaign for President 2016.
    There is a Rand Paul revolution happening. Just listen to many of the conversations happening within Republican circles and local/county GOP committees. Rand is a player and has Republicans across the country talking in a different light about the issues
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand inspires me like Daniel Day-Lewis
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    As in, what role is the fine actor playing today?

Rand does inspire me. His dad wasn't even blunt. He just hated the bull in government. Both Goldwater and Taft were blunt and they still got things done. Rand inspires me because he shows there is a fighting chance for us. We just have to be patient and realize not every1 gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    My Left Foot?

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    My Left Foot?
    Lincoln?
    Last edited by anaconda; 07-31-2014 at 06:09 PM.

He use to.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

You know it's funny. I don't get inspired by people. But I do get inspired when lots of people start joining the thought process that is liberty. This is what inspired me about Ron Paul. All of you. I've been on this lonely road for a long time, but suddenly there was company. I got re-engaged when I saw people waking up.

I say all that to say this...

Whether you like him or not, Rand is waking up more people than ever! He is breaking people from the bonds of the party ideology to look at reality. When I see this, I get inspired.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It's not relevant to my proper course of action. When I need inspiration I can find it.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    You know it's funny. I don't get inspired by people. But I do get inspired when lots of people start joining the thought process that is liberty. This is what inspired me about Ron Paul. All of you. I've been on this lonely road for a long time, but suddenly there was company. I got re-engaged when I saw people waking up.

I say all that to say this...

Whether you like him or not, Rand is waking up more people than ever! He is breaking people from the bonds of the party ideology to look at reality. When I see this, I get inspired.
    Nice to know I don't stand alone.

My only regret is that I have but one rep to give to this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I simply bring it up because I don't feel particularly inspired by Rand Paul lately... if I ever did. I think if he ever has hopes of winning the presidency, he will need to work more on telling us what he believes and why, versus what he plans on doing.... His campaign will need to INSPIRE, and not simply be about throwing 'red meat' to 'the base' to win the nomination. I think this is a crucial ingredient come 2015... heck even today!

Thoughts?
    Neither have I, really. I don't believe that he has a firm grasp or understanding of geo-political history or the histories of various nations. His foreign policy statements are tuned in to "the basics". Political basics. Ron was sincere when he said that he wasn't trying to just hurry up and get elected. He said that he wanted to change the course of history. And, of course, there can be no so called "Revolution" without a Renaissance. It's just the way that it is. Ron has an outstanding understanding of the world as well as history and understands that changing the course of history is in no way a game to be played.

I've been at this since Ron first came into the spectrum a couple of decades prior to the turn of the century and so have seen a devolution of inspiration evolve. It's just different. Back in those days we humped pavement and got out there and really paved the road. This was inspirational. Especially once we began to see the work evolve. Of course, then what happened was the internet came along and I can only compare the political activism phenomenon that followed to what happened to record stores when digital downloads were introduced. Does that make sense? It's like the new breed have become so comfortable with not having to actually hump it that they have lost the inspiration that was the very driver. Today everything is a like button or a meme. Back then if you were a kid you had to cut grass for a week and then you were so, so excited to get on your bike and go buy the latest album that you wanted. And so then it felt good when you got there, found it, biked home, opened it up, ad went through the artwork and read all of the notes and whatnot. Played the record. All of that work paid off and it felt good. You were inspired to go do it all over again that week. Nowadays the folks just go download the thing and all of that enjoyment or inspiration is void. It's like "meh". There...I did it. Now what? Do I clickit again? It just doesn't exist the same way. And so that's how I try to easily place the phenomenon into perspective that is easily recognizable. Things become old as soon as they become new and by means of a click of a button, unfortunately. So inspiration devolves in the same way. Or as a result, I would say.

I don't know. It's something that I could take the time to write about in a more formal way and may very well do that at some point in the near future but I understand what you mean. Inspiration is a devolving phenomenon in the political world of activism but it's becoming the same for every day life itself to the new breed.

Here you go.... Is a good skit that sums it up for me....

I didn't watch your TED Talk yet though. Was just kind of responding off the wall here. I'll have a listen once I flip through the threads.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-31-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Nice to know I don't stand alone.

My only regret is that I have but one rep to give to this post.
    Gotcha covered.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    I only find disgust and weep as he cynically burns down what we built.
    Really? Burns it down? Have you listened to some of the conversations Republicans are having? Discussing the Fed, discussing the fundamental question of whether we should be the policeman of the world, discussing whether we should end the war on drugs, discussing the importance of privacy.

These are issues that have not been touched with a ten foot pole. Ron Paul helped build this, but to say that Rand is burning it down is absolute bull$#@!. Rand is in a position to win the popular vote in states, something Ron was never able to do.

This idea that Rand Paul needs to agree with Ron Paul 100% of the time, and that he is a disgrace to the movement -- for either making politically wise endorsements or making comments that jive more with the mainstream Republican point of view -- is also bull$#@!.

I love Ron Paul and I think he is the most ideologically pure politician I have ever heard speak, but a lot of "purists" need to get over themselves. Ron Paul passed the torch on to his son and he would not have done so if he believed Rand could not serve the liberty movement well. Ron Paul is not running in 2016. Ron Paul is retired from politics and has moved on to other things. There will never be another Ron Paul.

Show some respect for what Rand has done to elevate the liberty movement from the grassroots to the mainstream. He has changed the conversations that are happening at the local, state, and national level..and he is fundamentally transforming the Republican Party back to its roots.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

Of course, then what happened was the internet came along and I can only compare the political activism phenomenon that followed to what happened to record stores when digital downloads were introduced. Does that make sense? It's like the new breed have become so comfortable with not having to actually hump it that they have lost the inspiration that was the very driver. Today everything is a like button or a meme. Back then if you were a kid you had to cut grass for a week and then you were so, so excited to get on your bike and go buy the latest album that you wanted. And so then it felt good when you got there, found it, biked home, opened it up, ad went through the artwork and read all of the notes and whatnot. Played the record. All of that work paid off and it felt good. You were inspired to go do it all over again that week. Nowadays the folks just go download the thing and all of that enjoyment or inspiration is void. It's like "meh". There...I did it. Now what? Do I clickit again? It just doesn't exist the same way. And so that's how I try to easily place the phenomenon into perspective that is easily recognizable. Things become old as soon as they become new and by means of a click of a button, unfortunately. So inspiration devolves in the same way. Or as a result, I would say.
    That was a bubble. Music used to cost a week's work and so it had to be justified with romanticism. Now the music is more accessible. If gold rose to the surface by itself it would be less valuable? Technology makes the effort necessary to improve quality of life decrease. The music is the same - the effort to access it has decreased. Now popular music is improving because competition is increasing - precisely because people can just click away if the music sucks - rather than having to overcome the obstacle of justifying the week's worth of work they spent buying an album to move onto a different experience.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

No, he does not inspire me. I am concerned that some of his statements are heartfelt, in which case his presidency would be, well, uninspired.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

A lion tamer is inspiring! The guy walking the tightrope... not so much. Too much of politics involves walking that tightrope and not dissuading idiots of their illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    The fundamental issues that matter are dead under Rand Paul. It's just Reaganesque political rhetoric all over again, noise that doesn’t do $#@! but appease years of growing anti-government sentiment.
    You have absolutely nothing to base that on. Yeah we get it, you're ideologically pure just like Ron Paul yadayadayada. Now let's actually win an election.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm ambivalent about his ability to inspire me, but I support him. Ron Paul can't win the presidency, maybe Rand can---and I'll celebrate if he does. Ron inspired me, and that's not necessarily a good thing considering the nature of politics.

Not Yet.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

You posted this in the Rand Paul forum, where anyone who doesn't agree with Rand Paul is banned for 6 months. If you want honest answers, post this in another sub-forum where free speech is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I'm ambivalent about his ability to inspire me, but I support him. Ron Paul can't win the presidency, maybe Rand can---and I'll celebrate if he does. Ron inspired me, and that's not necessarily a good thing considering the nature of politics.
    I find his ability to troll the establishment totally inspiring. He takes positions and statements they claim to support and forces them to become hypocrites; it is awesome.

Off topic, but a subject talked about in the video. Langley made three errors. 1. He tried to scale up his model. 2. First flight attempted from the upper deck of a boat was biting off more than he could chew. 3. IIRC, he put about as much thought into control as some of the French designers did, which was far less than the Wright Brothers did.

Incidentally, while the Wright Brothers were methodical inventors, they were poor businessmen, concentrating their efforts on obtaining government contracts and choosing to fight patent infringements instead of growing their business. While it maybe true that the Brothers' aircraft disign was from the inside out (using the man in the video's notion), their business practice seems to have been from the outside in. They figured out the "how", when it comes to heavier than air flight, but they couldn't figure out the "why", as in, why would anyone other than government, want an airplane.

French inventor's first flight was longer than the Wright Brothers' and looked more like a conventional airplane and taking off without the assistance of a catapult, but it lacked adequate flight control. To me, the definitive reason the Brothers were first.
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 07-31-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I find his ability to troll the establishment totally inspiring. He takes positions and statements they claim to support and forces them to become hypocrites; it is awesome.
    We can spend 190 years trying to spread the message and still never reach the huge mass of disinterested low information voters. OR we can let Rand beat the establishment at their own propaganda game and get much quicker results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast