Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Video] Rand Paul and Cory Booker discuss REDEEM Act on MSNBC, Rand blasts MSNBC hacks

[Video] Rand Paul and Cory Booker discuss REDEEM Act on MSNBC, Rand blasts MSNBC hacks

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZRB32DF28

--

Last edited by jct74; 07-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rand-paul...n-we-can-talk/

This is going to be a bigger news story than Rand probably would have anticipated.

Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Cory Booker (D-NJ) brought their bipartisan push for criminal justice reform (a noble cause, if you ask us) to MSNBC’s The Cycle on Wednesday afternoon.

While the conversation was mostly cordial and illuminating, it took a brief turn for the tense when Ari Melber found a way to bring up Sen. Paul’s controversial 2010 comments to Rachel Maddow about the Civil Rights Act.

Directly after the libertarian-leaning senator made the case that prison reform is a civil rights issue, Melber transitioned: “As we’re talking about restoring civil rights here, you stirred up a lot of controversy with the 2010 comments, [in which]
    you said at the time that you had concerns about the rules for private business while you support most of the Civil Rights Act. Why did you evolve on rules for private business?”

Paul expressed he felt unfairly treated by MSNBC over this topic:

What I would say to be fair to myself, because I like to be fair to myself, is that I’ve always been in favor of the Civil Rights Act. People need to get over themselves writing all this stuff that I’ve changed my mind on the Civil Rights Act. Have I ever had a philosophical discussion about all aspects of it? Yeah, and I learned my lesson: To come on MSNBC and have a philosophical discussion, the liberals will come out of the woodwork and go crazy and say you’re against the Civil Rights Act, and you’re some terrible racist. And I take great objection to that, because, in Congress, I think there is nobody else trying harder to get people back their voting rights, to get people back and make the criminal justice system fair. So I take great offense to people who want to portray me as something that I’m not.
    Melber pressed on: “But when you said, well, here’s where the rules for private businesses are concerning, why not explain that you’ve evolved on that?”

The senator replied that he has been attacked by “half-a-dozen people on your network trying to say I’m opposed to the Civil Rights Act,” while he’s never actually opposed the law. “I’m not willing to engage with people who are misrepresenting my viewpoint on this,” he said. “For people to say that, really, they don’t want to have an honest discussion about it.”

And Melber continued again: “I think the honest discussion is that you said some title of it, Title II and Title VII, that relate to it…”

With Sen. Paul interrupting: “The honest discussion of it would be that I never was opposed to the Civil Rights Act and when your network does 24-hour news telling the truth, then maybe we can get somewhere with the discussion.”
    Partial video

(VIDEO)Rand Paul Blasts msnbc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJBuDuwWM8

He claims msnbc has lied about his position on msnbc.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...Tell-The-Truth
    Last edited by T.hill; 07-30-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Rand clearly does not want to talk about his opposition to that one piece of the CRA. MSNBC is incorrect to claim that Rand opposes the CRA as a whole but they are absolutely right about him not supporting all of it. The sticking point will be when Rand is asked if he thinks private businesses should be allowed to discriminate. He had better think hard about how he is going to answer that because they will keep asking.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Oh, I thought he got a really nice sound system and turned it up really loud.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Heh. That was pretty good. Junior layethed the smacketh down there on his position.

Ah well. It's not like anyone is watching these networks for information anyhow so probably no real damage done.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    The sticking point will be when Rand is asked if he thinks private businesses should be allowed to discriminate. He had better think hard about how he is going to answer that because they will keep asking.
    We've seen quite a few business begin to discriminate against consumers if they aren't christians. As I recall there has been some legislation passed in various states that specifically makes it legal for them to discriminate premised upon religious position. I think we had discussed this in the Religion sub-forum here but it's probably buried, I'd imagine.

I thought the "have a philosophical discussion" line was pretty brilliant.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Blasting MSNBC is kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    The sticking point will be when Rand is asked if he thinks private businesses should be allowed to discriminate. He had better think hard about how he is going to answer that because they will keep asking.
    Rand was asked this very question just a few days ago. See video:

http://www.mofopolitics.com/2014/07/...il-rights-act/
    Last edited by anaconda; 07-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrightedge View Post
    Hatefest on MSNBC tonight...
    It's about time. MSNBC has been showing Rand a lot of love the past few weeks and it was kind of getting me uneasy. I say this as a former Dem myself. I feel better when the MSM attacks Rand Paul. Makes me feel like he is doing the right thing.

Ok. So they hammered hard and he stuck to it. The next question is if it worked. Time will tell. They like to use any opening they are given. Unless he gives them a new one, they will be back on this one.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    It's about time. MSNBC has been showing Rand a lot of love the past few weeks and it was kind of getting me uneasy. I say this as a former Dem myself. I feel better when the MSM attacks Rand Paul. Makes me feel like he is doing the right thing.
    I prefer when there is mixed coverage. It makes people more likely to think for themselves and not allow themselves as much be spoon-fed one way or the other, which helps advance the dialogue on the issues forward instead of people getting baked into their partisan cakes.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand should just stay off of MSNBC. They aren't ever going to be fair to him.

The correct answer he should be using:

"Do you think private businesses should be allowed to discriminate?"

"No, but I don't think it should be the government stopping them. It should be you and I, through various means, applying social and economic pressure to change peoples minds. The government can't make you a better person, but your friends and neighbors can"
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    The correct answer he should be using:

"Do you think private businesses should be allowed to discriminate?"

"No, but I don't think it should be the government stopping them. It should be you and I, through various means, applying social and economic pressure to change peoples minds. The government can't make you a better person, but your friends and neighbors can"
    That won't sell. You can't rely on the altruism of the majority to limit their own prejudice and apply social and economic pressure, as history can attest.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Rachel Maddow is working overtime to rewrite her whole show after watching this segment. Someone should catch and tube it.

Rand should probably just say that he changed his mind on the issue and move on. People aren't capable of having a rational and intelligent debate on the issue, and it's not like he could actually repeal that provision of the Civil Rights Act if he were President. There's no point of getting bogged down in a purely philosophical debate. He should just say that he "evolved" on the issue and leave it at that. Every politician has to lie in order to get elected President.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Rand should probably just say that he changed his mind on the issue and move on. People aren't capable of having a rational and intelligent debate on the issue, and it's not like he could actually repeal that provision of the Civil Rights Act if he were President. There's no point of getting bogged down in a purely philosophical debate. He should just say that he "evolved" on the issue and leave it at that. Every politician has to lie in order to get elected President.
    He has already kind of gotten himself pinned in a corner though because he has already insisted that he has not evolved. If he did say that though, people might buy it especially in light of all the meetings he has been having with black leaders,...etc. It would be kind of like the thing earlier where Rand suggested that the GOP should be changing the tone on voter ID, was largely a result of those meetings.

Whether right or wrong, the libertarian position on the CRA is not a battle that can be won in the near term, so anything Rand can do that takes this out of the conversation would be good.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Why doesn't he just say, "Absolutely, I don't want to force black business owners to serve KKK members." Crickets, silence ensues.......
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    Why doesn't he just say, "Absolutely, I don't want to force black business owners to serve KKK members." Crickets, silence ensues.......
    Silence, because no sane black person from 60 years ago or present would give up their protection from mass racial discrimination just so that they can discriminate against a few KKK members.

Life, Liberty, Logic

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    inb4 next Jennifer Rubin article on Rand.

That argument doesn't make any sense since KKK members aren't a protected group anyways and business owners are free to discriminate against them already.

They are going to keep hitting him on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    They are going to keep hitting him on it.
    It's a good thing. Eventually this will become old news. Then, it will become older news. Rand Paul needs to learn to deal with this line of questioning anyways. It's only going to intensify.

He showed some influence from his father on this one. A lot of times, Ron Paul would stop an interviewer on a gotcha question and talk about what tactics were being used.

im sorry there aren't enough members to address every grievance.. why don't you help recruit some

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast