Thread: The great olive oil fraud – Why your extra virgin olive oil may not be virgin at all

The great olive oil fraud – Why your extra virgin olive oil may not be virgin at all

The great olive oil fraud – Why your extra virgin olive oil may not be virgin at all
    Posted by JB Bardot

You thought you were making an informed health choice by using extra-virgin olive oil in place of cheaper, low-quality cooking oils, right? You probably never thought that a tiny, expensive bottle of EVOO might be cut with crap or doctored with chlorophyll to make it taste like olive oil — when in fact it was soybean or another health-compromising, cheap oil. According to Tom Mueller, the fearless author of Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, 70 percent of the extra virgin olive oil sold worldwide is watered down with other oils and enhancers making them far from virgins and more like sidewalk hookers on the corner of 10th and Main — not exactly good for your health or your pocketbook.

Mueller exposes the billion dollar industry, showing how EVOO is compromised world-wide. During volunteer testing by suppliers to authenticate what they thought were pure extra virgin olive oils, every brand submitted in Australia during 2012 failed the tests and none gained certification for being pure. Authentication tests at UC Davis in 2011 uncovered similar results.

How to recognize genuine extra virgin olive oil

It’s difficult to tell by taste if the brand of olive oil you buy is truly extra virgin. Even the experts get stumped during taste tests. There are two ways that give a hint whether you have the real thing or a fake. Neither is absolutely fool proof; however, they will rule out the hardcore fakes.

Extra virgin olive oil solidifies when it’s cold. When the bottle is placed in the refrigerator, it should become cloudy and thicken or even solidify. As it warms on the counter, it becomes liquid again. Any oil that doesn’t thicken in the fridge is not pure EVOO — simple as that.

Additionally, the real McCoy is flammable and should be able to keep a wick from an oil lamp burning. If your oil doesn’t, it is not pure EVOO.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a problem. But it might not be as bad as it seems at first glance. There are two issues that are being conflated - contamination of extra virgin olive oil with lesser quality olive oil and contamination of olive oil with oils other than olive. Adulteration of extra virgin with virgin or refined olive oil may not be a health issue at all since it will still have the healthy fat profile of olive oil. On the other hand, adulteration of olive oil with other kinds of vegetable oil will generally mess up the healthy fat profile with omega 6 and other unsaturated fats. Because the articles conflate the two issues, it isn't clear which of the two problems is more common.

It is also worth noting that the people driving this issue are California olive oil producers. That doesn't mean that it isn't a real issue, but there is some pecuniary interest involved. But this is one way the market regulates quality - competitors tattle on each other!

So how did I solve the problem? I use California olive oil from Trader Joe's.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    So how did I solve the problem? I use California olive oil from Trader Joe's.
    How do you know that is the "good stuff"?
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Various types of adulteration and fraud are certainly a problem with olive oils, as they are with many products.

The refrigerator test is a myth though...

Olive oil will harden at refrigerator temperatures -- around 37 degrees F. Water is a pure substance, so it freezes at an exact temperature. Olive oil is a complex mixture of oils and waxes. The heavier oils and waxes will form needle-like crystals as the temperature is lowered, then the other oils will start to settle out. Winterization is the commercial process whereby these waxes are removed to keep the oil clearer when stored on a cold shelf. It is used mostly for aesthetics and to improve mixing when combined into mayonnaise, sauces, and dressings.

Because olive oil is a natural product and different from year to year even from the same bottler, each batch of oil will "freeze" at a different temperature. There is no exact freezing temperature. Freezing olive oil will not harm it; it will actually prolong its nutritional benefits and its flavor. It is a myth that the freezing point of olive oil can be used to predict whether it is pure, virgin or extra virgin.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Nearly all Trader Joe's products are re-branded products made by major manufacturers though they won't reveal which ones. They did at one time say that Stacy's makes their pita chips and Stoneyfield produces their private label yogurt. I do buy my olive oil from them though- for flavor, I use their Sicilian one and for everyday use I get a bottle of one of their imports- I have the Italian one right now. Sometimes do the Greek Kalamata oil.

I can't remember the brand but I did purchase one at the chain grocery near me which did not even taste like olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Nearly all Trader Joe's products are re-branded products made by major manufacturers though they won't reveal which ones. They did at one time say that Stacy's makes their pita chips and Stoneyfield produces their private label yogurt. I do buy my olive oil from them though- for flavor, I use their Sicilian one and for everyday use I get a bottle of one of their imports- I have the Italian one right now. Sometimes do the Greek Kalamata oil.

I can't remember the brand but I did purchase one at the chain grocery near me which did not even taste like olive oil.
    You are such a conspiracy theorist, Zippy, I am ashamed of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Various types of adulteration and fraud are certainly a problem with olive oils, as they are with many products.

The refrigerator test is a myth though...
    Sounds like a misunderstanding; I thought the refrigeration test was to see if it was adulterated with other oils (not different grades of olives). As non olive oils don't turn solid.

Ask Popeye. He knows the true Olive Oyl. (Sounds like some kind of lubricansk to me.)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bluntly, I assume California is less likely to produce adulterated products than Italy, Spain, or Greece. Yup. Prejudice based on nationality. Sue me.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Sounds like a misunderstanding; I thought the refrigeration test was to see if it was adulterated with other oils (not different grades of olives). As non olive oils don't turn solid.
    I think this is correct. It is a consequence of the degree of saturation. Things like corn, soybean, and canola oils or less saturated than olive oil and so stay liquid at lower temperatures. Coconut oil, being even less saturated, is solid at room temperature, as is tallow.

Kirkland brand from costco was tested and it's 100% pure EVOO... plus they have organic too...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

If its not bottled by the people that grew it under the name of their farm... its likely trash. Research the farm, buy from the source.

I recommend Jovial:

https://jovialfoods.com/shop/from-ou...oil-liter.html

Oil from 100% Italian organic ancient varieties of olives • Delicate flavor with the perfect balance of fruitiness • Decanting naturally removes sediment without filtering • The temperature never exceeds 80°F during pressing • We only press and bottle olive oil in our facility
    Organic store brands like: "trader joe's" "full circle organic" "newman's own" "365 organic" I question.

Also look here:

http://www.bestoliveoils.com/2014-results/

Chances are you've never heard of any of the real mccoy; almost everything (from olive oil to gmo wheat to pink slime) on the grocery store shelf these days is shwag.

This statement however:
    The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, 70 percent of the extra virgin olive oil sold worldwide is watered down with other oils and enhancers making them far from virgins and more like sidewalk hookers on the corner of 10th and Main — not exactly good for your health or your pocketbook.
    ...is a bit conflated; refrencing a UC Berkley 2010 taste test. Not all of the "70%" is watered down or enhanced with non-olive oil additives. That 70% also included oxidized olive oil, oil from sub par olives, and non "extra virgin" olive oil.

See the end notes at the infographic here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n-suicide.html

The bottom line however... Big Business olive oil that makes its way through bottling plants in mafia ridden Italy... on its way to Big Business distribution centers in the US... yeah... its shwag.

If you want the real thing, buy local or buy from the source.
    Last edited by presence; 07-30-2014 at 03:14 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-22-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    If its not bottled by the people that grew it under the name of their farm... its likely trash. Research the farm, buy from the source.

I recommend Jovial:

https://jovialfoods.com/shop/from-ou...oil-liter.html

Organic store brands like: "trader joe's" "full circle organic" "newman's own" "365 organic" I question.

[/url]

The bottom line however... Big Business olive oil that makes its way through bottling plants in mafia ridden Italy... on its way to Big Business distribution centers in the US... yeah... its shwag.

If you want the real thing, buy local or buy from the source.
    I would be willing to bet at least 2 of 3 if not 3 of 3 brands you just mentioned as questionable are probably all fine.

The brands I would question are not the Trader Joe's and health food store brands, I would be looking to the grocery stores and walmart. I would also question COSTCO, maybe, though I would have bet they were good too (sounds like they are)
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I'm absolutely certain the wegman's brand new harvest extra virgin olive oil that comes out in a single batch every year is the real McCoy. Its deliciously awesome, filled with green unfiltered olive sediment (almost slime) at the bottom. I stock up on it every year when it comes out...
    Wegmans does indeed source their products "to the farm"

certification seals designating the Italian region where the olives were grown, pressed and packed
    http://www.wegmans.com/blog/2010/09/...oil-territory/

Here's what I've found regarding some of the other brands:

365:
    Whole Foods Market is equally as susceptible to olive oil fraud as the rest of the industry; however, we perform rigorous testing on each batch of our olive oils to determine their pH level, peroxide value, UV extinction, fatty acid composition, sterol composition, triglyceride composition, wax content, and steroidal hydrocarbons to ensure it meets our requirements.
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/abou...-faq/olive-oil

Topco Full Circle:
    I was only able to find a generic statement:
    For over 10 years, we have been sourcing great-tasting products through our partnerships with the best growers to deliver great-tasting, high-quality products made from only the finest natural and organic ingredients. That's why we join only with supplier-partners who follow the strictest guidelines for sustainability in order to protect Mother Earth.
    http://www.fullcirclefoods.com/OurStory.aspx

Trader Joe's:
    We want to assure you that at Trader Joe’s we work very closely with our suppliers to assure that we are receiving only the highest quality products, and that our suppliers are meeting 100 percent of their claims (as stated on the product labeling). Every bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Trader Joe’s is from the first crush first press of the current crop. Our Olive Oil Buyer personally selects every olive oil blend on our shelves. She travels to Italy, Spain, Greece and Australia’s olive groves during the harvest season, meeting suppliers and taking part in the process of putting together each of our high quality olive oils. This is an integral part of how we buy our olive oil. By being involved at this level we can ensure the quality of our Olive Oils.

In addition, we subject our olive oils to testing by an independent lab to ensure that their level of acidity equals that of Extra Virgin Olive Oil as Determined by the International Olive Oil Council Standards. Plus, We also do our own testing on a quarterly basis.
    http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-ext...live-oil-fake/

So I may have been a bit broad with my condemnation of some of the "store brand organic" brands... but I still think that personal relationship with a producer in the case of a product like olive oil is better than globalized distribution and the politics of supplier relations.

I would be willing to bet at least 2 of 3 if not 3 of 3 brands you just mentioned as questionable are probably all fine.
    I used to feel that way until I did a bit of research into the differences between "Organic Valley" and "Horizon Organic" milk products. I find Organic Valley to be a reputable company looking to distribute the highest quality products; whereas Horizon I find to be a dubious company looking to get the highest quality cerification at the least cost. Lately I try to personally source, grow, or kill what I eat as my trust has been many times shaken.
    Last edited by presence; 07-30-2014 at 03:51 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Kirkland brand from costco was tested and it's 100% pure EVOO... plus they have organic too...
    I put my bottle of kirkland olve oil in the refrigerator and the best it ever got was about half congealed. The stuff from TJs gets solid. For whatever that is worth to you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I read it as "extra virgin vs. non-extra-virgin". Diluting "extra virgin" with "virgin" is supposed to be one of the common frauds.

How to recognize genuine extra virgin olive oil

It’s difficult to tell by taste if the brand of olive oil you buy is truly extra virgin. Even the experts get stumped during taste tests. There are two ways that give a hint whether you have the real thing or a fake. Neither is absolutely fool proof; however, they will rule out the hardcore fakes.

Extra virgin olive oil solidifies when it’s cold. When the bottle is placed in the refrigerator, it should become cloudy and thicken or even solidify. As it warms on the counter, it becomes liquid again. Any oil that doesn’t thicken in the fridge is not pure EVOO — simple as that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    ...is a bit conflated; refrencing a UC Berkley 2010 taste test. Not all of the "70%" is watered down or enhanced with non-olive oil additives. That 70% also included oxidized olive oil, oil from sub par olives, and non "extra virgin" olive oil.

See the end notes at the infographic here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n-suicide.html
    That was also my understanding. They cut extra virgin with lesser grades of olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Source: Fortune Magazine http://fortune.com/2010/08/23/inside...f-trader-joes/

Some of that may be because Trader Joe’s business tactics are often very much at odds with its image as the funky shop around the corner that sources its wares from local farms and food artisans. Sometimes it does, but big, well-known companies also make many of Trader Joe’s products. Those Trader Joe’s pita chips? Made by Stacy’s, a division of PepsiCo’s Frito-Lay PEP . On the East Coast much of its yogurt is supplied by Danone’s Stonyfield Farm. And finicky foodies probably don’t like to think about how Trader Joe’s scale enables the chain to sell a pound of organic lemons for $2.
    The other dozen or so buyers, or category leaders, spend more time in the office, fielding hundreds of cold calls a week from vendors tripping over themselves to make Trader Joe’s a customer. Trader Joe’s is a supplier’s dream account: It pays on time and doesn’t mess with extra charges for advertising, couponing, or slotting fees that traditional supermarkets charge suppliers to get their products onto the shelves. “It’s all transparent — no BS,” says a former executive. In exchange, suppliers have to agree to operate under Trader Joe’s cloak of secrecy. Fortune obtained a copy of a standard vendor agreement, which states, “Vendor shall not publicize its business relationship with TJ’s in any manner.”

Why the lockdown? Former executives say that Trader Joe’s wants neither its shoppers nor its competitors to know who’s making its products. And many suppliers aren’t that keen on consumers knowing that they produce a lower-cost version for Trader Joe’s either. Take Tasty Bite, which makes much of Trader Joe’s Indian food. The Tasty Bite Punjab Eggplant ran $3.39 at a Whole Foods in Manhattan. The seemingly identical Punjab Eggplant that the Stamford, Conn., company makes for Trader Joe’s is more than $1 cheaper.

Nothing good can come out of a plastic bottle- that's what they use for house wines. Also, just about every bottle now is claiming first cold press. They must only be running the press once per batch.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Me too...

Oh, if I had a dollar for every false claim of virginity...
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    ^This. But with the caveat that the specific product that passed in the 2010 U.C. Davis study is the Kirkland organic imported extra virgin olive oil. And, for some reason, it doesn't seem to have been evaluated in the 2011 study. Here is a picture:

Last edited by anaconda; 08-03-2014 at 04:53 AM.

These are easily the best olive oils I have ever tasted:

http://www.mmoliveoils.com/index.html

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You taste the Olive Oil. I bought a bunch of different brands of olive oil and tried them. When you have really pure olive oil you will feel a slight stinging in the back of your throat from the polyphenols. I now but Napa Valley Naturals Extra virgin, they are based out of California. Legit extra virgin olive oil is fantastic!
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin