Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish official: Women shouldn't laugh in public

Turkish official: Women shouldn't laugh in public

I laughed. That guy would've hated me, when I get to laughing really hard I snort.

How big of an a-hole do you have to be to get offended by happy noises?

Many Turkish women were doubled over with laughter Tuesday after their country's deputy leader said in a speech assailing "moral corruption" that women should not laugh in public and not talk on their mobile phones so much.

Speaking Monday night at a celebration marking the end of Ramadan, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç took aim at contemporary life in Turkey, arguing for more chastity, humility and reading of the Quran and less consumerism, oil consumption and sex in the media, the Hurriyet Daily News reported.

Social media lit up as news of the speech spread, with hundreds of Turkish women posting photos of themselves and friends laughing in public places. Popular hashtags included #kahkaha (laugh) and #direnkahkaha (resist, laugh).

The Hurriyet Daily News offered this excerpt from Arınç's remarks:

"Chastity is so important. It is not only a name. It is an ornament for both women and men. [She] will have chasteness. Man will have it, too. He will not be a womanizer. He will be bound to his wife. He will love his children. [The woman] will know what is haram (sin) and not haram. She will not laugh in public. She will not be inviting in her attitudes and will protect her chasteness."

He also sniped at women for what he considers unnecessary or trivial topics for cellphone talk.

"Women give each other meal recipes while speaking on the mobile phone. 'What else is going on?' 'What happened to Ayşe's daughter?' 'When is the wedding?' Arınç said, mimicking a woman her phone. "Talk about this face to face."

Arinc is a co-founder of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's Islamist-based Justice and Development party, known as AKP. Erdoğan is running for re-election in August.

Opponents accuse the ruling party of working to dismantle the strict separation of religion and state, which was the core principle of the founding of modern Turkey after the Ottoman Empire collapsed in the early 20th century.

Erdoğan's main rival, Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu, laughed at his opponent's deputy.

"We need to hear the happy laughter of women," he tweeted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...augh/13326925/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Suzanimal,

Next time, could you have your husband post these great posts in your stead ? And where's your burka, your beauty is too enticing !
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Laughter is ok, they just need to cover their mouths when they do it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Suzanimal,

Next time, could you have your husband post these great posts in your stead ? And where's your burka, your beauty is too enticing !
    My burka is in the wash and my husband thinks my laugh/snort is gross, he would probably be all for me not laughing in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My burka is in the wash and my husband thinks my laugh/snort is gross, he would probably be all for me not laughing in public.
    Just tell him to be grateful you only snort....after all, you could chortle and guffaw instead.

Last edited by Tod; 07-30-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Laughter is ok, they just need to cover their mouths when they do it.
    And turn their heads.
    "The Patriarch"

I agree with him, pretty soon there will be women laughing anarchy if something isn't done.

"The Patriarch"

If I lived in Turkey it would be my mission to try and make women laugh in public - like the people who torment the guards at Buckingham Palace. And whenever I succeeded in making one laugh I would point and scream SLUT! What a fun country!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Just tell him to be grateful you only snort....after all, you could chortle and guffaw instead.
    I only chortle and guffaw when I've had too much wine.

AKP , the Turkish Justice Party .

With this... he went too far:

He also sniped at women for what he considers unnecessary or trivial topics for cellphone talk.

But bit curious why non-controlled & free US media headlined above Turkish minister news but not following Turkish Prime minister news?

Turkey's Erdogan returning Jewish American peace award

Jewish American group asks for the prize back, labels Turkey's prime minister as 'arguably the most virulent anti-Israel leader in the world.'

By The Associated Press | Jul. 29, 2014

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is returning an award given to him by a Jewish American group in 2004, after the group asked for it back because of comments he made regarding the conflict in Gaza. Turkey's ambassador to the U.S., Serdar Kilic, wrote to Jack Rosen, president of the American Jewish Congress, on Erdogan's behalf. Kilic said Erdogan would be glad to return the award because of Israel's actions in Gaza and "the regrettable stance adopted by the present leadership of the American Jewish Congress vis-a-vis the recent attacks on the innocent civilians in Gaza."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.607850

I laughed. That guy would've hated me, when I get to laughing really hard I snort.

How big of an a-hole do you have to be to get offended by happy noises
    ?
    Maybe Turkish women's laughter is incredibly annoying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Nah , I think it is only the Turkish " justice " Party that is annoying .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    AKP , the Turkish Justice Party .
    Mister Oyarde totally gets this!
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

I sometimes have the same problem. It embarrasses him as well...hasn't happened in a while though.

my guess is that the real concern is women laughing in private

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I knew this incredibly hot girl in college, she was one of my friend's girlfriends, and she used to snort when she laughed quite a bit.

It was funny, I suppose, because when most people heard her do it they didn't expect to turn around and see it coming from such an attractive girl. TV taught my generation that only Steve Erkel and nerdy/goofy girls snort when they laugh.

But funnier still, she always told this story about how she was at a party in high school and snorted really loud one time, and this guy right near her was like, "Omg, that bitch just snorted!!"
    Last edited by dannno; 07-30-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

No, I watch some Turkish TV programs, the gals sound and are adorable
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

If I can make a girl snort with laughter, well THAT is the brass ring. And generally once we have achieved snortage, the laughter is self-sustaining. It's like the snort is a critical mass of laughter that triggers a chain reaction as the snorter laughs at her own snorts. It is a beautiful thing.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I sometimes have the same problem. It embarrasses him as well...hasn't happened in a while though.
    awww, amypi has the snorty laugh? How cute! Are you also one of those who pees a little when you laugh hard? ~hugs~
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Subtle, but very well done.

awww, amypi has the snorty laugh? How cute! Are you also one of those who pees a little when you laugh hard? ~hugs~
    Shut up.

Last edited by William Tell; 07-30-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Shut up.

This entire thread is trivial and annoying. And I'm sure its making lots of women laugh

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    This entire thread is trivial and annoying. And I'm sure its making lots of women laugh
    ^^^^^
    THAT is offensive
    I did laugh, but I am NOT a woman.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Wicked, wicked donkey.

~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    If I can make a girl snort with laughter, well THAT is the brass ring. And generally once we have achieved snortage, the laughter is self-sustaining. It's like the snort is a critical mass of laughter that triggers a chain reaction as the snorter laughs at her own snorts. It is a beautiful thing.
    Once I made a beautiful girl almost kick over our table in a really nice restaurant from laughing so hard. It felt like the whole table got about 2 inches of air off the ground. Unfortunately my gf at the time was sitting on the other side of me and wasn't very impressed I think she asked her if she was going to take my balls out of her mouth soon
    Last edited by dannno; 07-30-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Or laughing AT privates

But I repeat myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I've taken a few to the arena of the spit-take. And even though I was on the wrong end of it, it was totally wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast