Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Scheuer goes after Rand

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Sooooo.... your prescription for success is for a candidate to 'play the game' and pander to whatever base(s) he/she needs to win and to even not be entirely truthful at times, just so long as the ends justify the means and they get elected, then hope they do what YOU think the MIGHT do?

No thanks.

I'd rather support someone who speaks truth to power and puts a premium on personal integrity. Did not the Ron Paul campaigns change the freaking world?? Do you remember how fired up the country was when he was out there TELLING IT LIKE IT IS? Rand may fare better in the polls by 'playing their game' but he will never fire up the support his father did because of it. No one will be standing in freezing temps holding "RAND PAUL CURED MY APATHY" signs. No one will be making youtube vids of Rand that inspire millions of activists. No one will be making movies and documentaries about the "Rand Paul r3v0lution"....

Catch my drift?

Don't misunderstand.... if he's the nominee, I will vote for Rand. I'm just making a point.
    People tend to forget why so many were energized here in the first place. What Matt misses is that Ron didn't get elected not because he was too principled. It was because the 2012 game was rigged and the Establishment knew how much of a threat he was at making an impact and blacked Ron out and played shenanigans in NH and Iowa. Mistaking Ron's principled stances for weakness is a complete mistake.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    What you see is what you are going to get, unless the Presidency corrupts him (which I think is a realistic possibility, considering how badly he seems to want it.) Look, I don't doubt that Rand may personally believe that Ron is right on the issues, but it doesn't actually matter. As President, he isn't actually going to bring all the troops home and end all foreign interventions.
    Actually, when it comes to the presidency, the action never matches the rhetoric. It always falls well short of the candidate's stated aims. Rhetoric also gets much worse after getting into the office. A Ron Paul presidency probably wouldn't even achieve what Rand's rhetoric is; it would only be fruitful for vetoes and the chance to preach Austrian econ and libertarian ethics from the white house.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 07-30-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    People tend to forget why so many were energized here in the first place. What Matt misses is that Ron didn't get elected not because he was too principled. It was because the 2012 game was rigged and the Establishment knew how much of a threat he was at making an impact and blacked Ron out and played shenanigans in NH and Iowa. Mistaking Ron's principled stances for weakness is a complete mistake.
    Eh?

Ron Paul got blacked out because of his principled stances.. That was his weakness..

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Are you saying he is wrong? I understand what Rand is doing as does Scheurer. The fact is that Rand is selling out to his actual beliefs for political gain.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah. What I find interesting is that the the actual words and phrases that have inflamed many people were spoken by the interviewer in the questions, and not by Rand. Rand's answers were much more "moderate", and tended to change the subject away from the actual meaning of the questions.
    We must have watched different interviews.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Is Rand going up against his original intentions when he first got into the senate? Is he leaving no room for true believers as he himself explains Henry Clay did. Listen to his maiden speech above..I am a supporter of Rand and appreciate much of what he does but sometimes toeing the line is very uninspiring.

Edit:great speech btw
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No one will be standing in freezing temps holding "RAND PAUL CURED MY APATHY" signs.
    So Ron Paul cured y'alls apathy?I think Ron Paul might have disguised your apathy temporarily.

There was a money bomb here for Tom McMillin yesterday,by any measure an excellent Liberty candidate.
    It raised a grand total of $45 from two donations and got 13 posts.
    Pretty pathetic IMHO.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    So Ron Paul cured y'alls apathy?I think Ron Paul might have disguised your apathy temporarily.

There was a money bomb here for Tom McMillin yesterday,by any measure an excellent Liberty candidate.
    Pretty pathetic IMHO.
    Don't blame the 'consumer' for the company's 'bad marketing', if you catch my drift. Plus, there's so many good candidates now compared to 2008 that it's becoming very expensive trying to support every one running for office. Most candidates will just have to learn to fundraise without money bombs from RPF.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post

Pretty pathetic IMHO.
    Who cares?

jk.... see what I did there?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

The only reason I voted for Ron Paul is PRECISELY because he didn't play the game, and he changed the nation because of it. Rand is obviously different, but I don't expect Rand to get nearly the support from the Liberty movement as Ron for exactly this reason. We don't want a politician, we want a statesman and someone who will tell the truth AT ALL COSTS.
    And I want more voters like you. Until then, Rand may be onto something.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    The fact is that Rand is selling out to his actual beliefs for political gain.
    A more important question is why does Rand want political gain? There is more than one possible answer, some are good, some are bad. I tend to think his reason(s) is/are "good".

It all boils down to:

With Ron Paul, I knew EXACTLY where he stood and what he believed and he backed it up with logical, principled arguments.
    With Rand, he's all over the map on many issues trying to hold together some coalition that he hopes can win him the presidency andit makes me question his truthiness

//

Edit: Truthiness is a real word thanks to Stephen Colbert... look it up
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Merriam-Webster's #1 Word of the Year for 2006:

1. truthiness (noun)

1 : "truth that comes from the gut, not books" (Stephen Colbert, Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," October 2005)
    lol

- Diogenes of Sinope

I think trolliness is a better word than truthiness in this case. I think a lot of times Rand Paul is trolling, a lot of adults over 30 or so don't really understand that concept very well.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Actually, when it comes to the presidency, the action never matches the rhetoric. It always falls well short of the candidate's stated aims. Rhetoric also gets much worse after getting into the office. A Ron Paul presidency probably wouldn't even achieve what Rand's rhetoric is; it would only be fruitful for vetoes and the chance to preach Austrian econ and libertarian ethics from the white house.
    Yeah, this is only enhancing my skepticism of Rand.

I think Ron himself would have stayed the same had he got elected: no he obviously wouldn't have accomplished everything he wanted to, but his rhetoric would have almost certainly stayed the same.

Rand I am much less certain of.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Are you saying he is wrong? I understand what Rand is doing as does Scheurer. The fact is that Rand is selling out to his actual beliefs for political gain.
    I already addressed this criticism earlier in the thread.

Scheuer is right as far as I am concerned, the only question is whether Rand is just "playing the game" or actually holds these views.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

We don't want a politician, we want a statesman and someone who will tell the truth AT ALL COSTS.
    There you go. That's the ticket right there.

I don't understand how people can be so unreasonable about Rand. Just think about the "bully pulpit" he will wield if he wins...he can literally talk about anything he wants, and once elected, will no longer be reliant on the media for at-least-neutral coverage. Yes, Ron was good at changing hearts and minds. But guess who's better at changing the hearts and minds of at least 75% of the voters in America? The media. At some point we need to wield real political power so we can start setting policy back on the right path.

Obviously its partially about Rand's personal ambitions too. Quite frankly, I don't care much about his ambitions if they coincide with advancing the liberty movement.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEsq View Post
    I don't understand how people can be so unreasonable about Rand. Just think about the "bully pulpit" he will wield if he wins...he can literally talk about anything he wants, and once elected, will no longer be reliant on the media for at-least-neutral coverage. Yes, Ron was good at changing hearts and minds. But guess who's better at changing the hearts and minds of at least 75% of the voters in America? The media. At some point we need to wield real political power so we can start setting policy back on the right path.

Obviously its partially about Rand's personal ambitions too. Quite frankly, I don't care much about his ambitions if they coincide with advancing the liberty movement.
    If rand talks freely as President the media wont report what hes saying. Theyll report 2 things, that he lied about his positions during campaign, and that hes a nutcase. Wait, 3 things... third being impeachment
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Eh?

Ron Paul got blacked out because of his principled stances.. That was his weakness..

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.
    When you say "blacked out", don't forget the campaign/Ron were turning down interview requests to Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and others.
    Yes, the media is to blame for much, but when you have a campaign ignoring interview requests on some of the biggest shows, it becomes a two way street.
    Should we use/show how the media was corrupt in some of their coverage? Absolutey.
    Should we forget/excuse a campaign turning down interview requests? Absolutely not.

At this point, it seems Rand is only wanting to entertain the Israeli firsters crowd (removing a booklist because somebody was upset?), which won't vote for Rand in the primaries if a Huckabee type candidate runs anyway. So, by pandering to that crowd now, with poorly worded and unprepared interviews, without a clear path to the nomination anyway, what good is it doing? Splitting/fracturing the base that his father gave him?

Again, there needs to be a clear path to the nomination, and instead of using the path his father started for him, he has now apparently left it and found the neocons' bread trail crumbs on the other path?

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    Scheuer is playing bad israeli cop. Rand is playing good israeli cop.
    This may be a real possibility. I'm sure Scheuer has seen much in the ways of disinformation in his life and career.
    Last edited by anaconda; 07-30-2014 at 04:36 PM.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEsq View Post

I actually think this thread is very reasonable, on all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
    When you say "blacked out", don't forget the campaign/Ron were turning down interview requests to Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and others.
    Yes, the media is to blame for much, but when you have a campaign ignoring interview requests on some of the biggest shows, it becomes a two way street.
    Should we use/show how the media was corrupt in some of their coverage? Absolutey.
    Should we forget/excuse a campaign turning down interview requests? Absolutely not.

At this point, it seems Rand is only wanting to entertain the Israeli firsters crowd (removing a booklist because somebody was upset?), which won't vote for Rand in the primaries if a Huckabee type candidate runs anyway. So, by pandering to that crowd now, with poorly worded and unprepared interviews, without a clear path to the nomination anyway, what good is it doing? Splitting/fracturing the base that his father gave him?

Again, there needs to be a clear path to the nomination, and instead of using the path his father started for him, he has now apparently left it and found the neocons' bread trail crumbs on the other path?
    I wouldn't go that far. I doubt he will carry the Neocons water on any issue. As many have said here, it's most likely rhetoric. But that is the difference between him and his father. He will play the game and his dad didn't.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. I doubt he will carry the Neocons water on any issue. As many have said here, it's most likely rhetoric. But that is the difference between him and his father. He will play the game and his dad didn't.
    Except, he's playing the game for voters that won't vote for him in a primary, if a Huckabee candidate is running. As he is now simply "one of them", with little/no difference on this issue as most will see it.
    It might be rhetoric, but instead of using excellent constitutional rhetoric, we're now talking about aid to Ukraine? The Iron Dome is a good joint effort with Israel (almost HALF A BILLION in funds for that project alone)?

I understand going after voters you don't have, but unless you're talking to them in terms they know/understand, it's probably not going to do you much good.
    I think Rand could/should be going after those voters, not only in terms they would understand, but in a way that would remain 100% true to Ron's foreign policy and that of the Constitution, and set him apart from the other candidates on it.

I mean, didn't Rand get up in the Senate, and use the murders of the three Israeli teens as one reason (among others) to defund Hamas, but now we know Hamas didn't order it? And it was used as a big propaganda spin by the Israeli government? By playing into that "idea" of Israel is our ally, let's not question them and only give them money, it sets up for mistakes like what happened in his proposal for the bill.
    It also is apparently giving Israel a pass on spying, and maybe even knowing about 9/11 beforehand, but not warning us.

It's no surprise to see someone like Michael Scheuer, to be a little irate over pandering on this issue and not addressing the issue of our foreign policy. And on removing a reading list, because somebody was offended by a book on it?

Michael Scheuer is a great man. Let's not eat our own. Maybe Scheuer doesn't believe it's worth a Rand presidency would bring anything good unless we hold his feet to the fire. I trust him more than Rand.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

I'm surprised the 3d chess players haven't deciphered this move yet. In order for Rand to distance himself from the non-interventionist he needs them to attack his foreign policy. My guess is that Rand asked Scheuer to write this piece so when the inevitable "you recommended a book by an author who is critical of Israel and blames US policy for blowback" he can say-- look, he attacked my foreign policy, we don't agree. If Ron comes out saying he disagrees with Rand's FP we will know for sure Ron agrees with Rand's FP. You know, obfuscation and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    A more important question is why does Rand want political gain?
    Because you can't accomplish anything without political power.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I think Ron himself would have stayed the same had he got elected: no he obviously wouldn't have accomplished everything he wanted to, but his rhetoric would have almost certainly stayed the same.

Rand I am much less certain of.
    It was impossible for Ron to have gotten elected because he would not say and do the things it takes to get elected.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    Scheuer is right as far as I am concerned, the only question is whether Rand is just "playing the game" or actually holds these views.
    Well, you know who is father is, and you know what his moves in the Senate have been... so try thinking for yourself on this one...

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast