Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8 million from Chris Kyle estate

Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8 million from Chris Kyle estate

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow. $1.8 million dollars because some guy claimed he beat you in a bar fight?

"He said mean things about me!"
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Wow. $1.8 million dollars because some guy claimed he beat you in a bar fight?

"He said mean things about me!"
    I believe it was for slander and defamation.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

so... a lawsuit for defamation only ends up making him look like even more of an $#@!. If he sued to get his reputation back, this did the opposite.

yes, by all means sue a widow over some petty bs her deceased husband said.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Yeah... unless he donates the money to a truly great cause or outright gives the money back to the widow... he looks like a douche.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

From the article:
    Ventura testified that his income as a television personality fell sharply as job offers dried up in the wake of “American Sniper.” Borger said Ventura’s career as an entertainer was in decline well before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    so... a lawsuit for defamation only ends up making him look like even more of an $#@!. If he sued to get his reputation back, this did the opposite.

Pretty much this...just because you can sue doesn't mean you should sue

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Yeah... unless he donates the money to a truly great cause or outright gives the money back to the widow... he looks like a douche.
    Well it is tainted money,,
    He may be wise to dispose of it..

Maybe give it to some of Kyles victims families.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    fwiw: he sued before she was a widow and did not sue her; but rather it was against his estate after he died.

I sure hope Mrs. Kyle knows that her husband killed people indiscriminately and without remorse then wrote a book bragging about it. He also went around the radio and TV circuit smearing Jesse Ventura's name.

I say, here on earth, for now, justice was served.
    Last edited by donnay; 07-29-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Venture to Ventura.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

If I remember correctly, to prove defamation you basically have to prove that the other guy was lying - so maybe Ventura just wanted to sue to clear the air as to what did or didn't happen, moreso than to get money from the widow. In which case the right move from a moral perspective would still probably be to give some of the money back or donate it
    Last edited by LibertyEsq; 07-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Flashback:

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEsq View Post
    If I remember correctly, to prove defamation you basically have to prove that the other guy was lying - so maybe Ventura just wanted to sue to clear the air as to what did or didn't happen, moreso than to get money from the widow. In which case the right move from a moral perspective would still probably be to give some of the money back or donate it
    Kyle got rich in part from lying, it would appear. I wonder how much of what he said about other things were lies.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Seems a jury sided with him. The award was less than what was sought but the verdict favored him so it seems to be a win in that his name can be cleared from Kyle's allegations. I really don't care one way or the other but it seems the jury was a reasonable one.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Kyle got rich in part from lying, it would appear. I wonder how much of what he said about other things were lies.
    Kyle: The fish I caught was this <<>> big.
    Publisher: Doesn't sound like a big enough fish to write a book about.
    Kyle: Did I mention the fish was this <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>> big?

Lying to cause enrichment for yourself at the victim's expense is textbook defamation. That he was able to prove damages in court is good enough for me. Its good money and I don't think Ventura has any reason to give it back or to anyone. Its ridiculous that some people here think he should give it away.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Lying to cause enrichment for yourself at the victim's expense is textbook defamation. That he was able to prove damages in court is good enough for me. Its good money and I don't think Ventura has any reason to give it back or to anyone. Its ridiculous that some people here think he should give it away.
    You'd trust every decision a jury would make? $1.8 million from a widow for an allegation that he lost a bar fight seems a bit much

You'd trust every decision a jury would make? $1.8 million from a widow for an allegation that he lost a bar fight seems a bit much
    Sounds like it's more Chris Kyle's fault.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Sounds like it's more Chris Kyle's fault.
    Or the judge's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgmen...anding_verdict

It's from the publisher's insurance--stop being so dramatic.

If he could prove at least that much in damages then no, I don't think its a "bit much."

I'm not exactly sure how you base your opinions on how much is too much for someone to be awarded in damages...but sounds like you don't particularly care for facts.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    It's from the publisher's insurance--stop being so dramatic.
    Oh its from an insurance company - I guess no one pays then

Oh its from an insurance company - I guess no one pays then

You are making it sound like they are taking Mrs. Kyle's house away and food for their children. The purpose of publishing houses having insurance is for this very reason.

I lost a fight...goonnaa sue you duude...Was Ventura's name mentioned in the book?
    I don't think it was...

He should've dropped this lawsuit the second he learned Kyle was dead...
    I guiess he needs the cash for his "off-the-grid" lifestyle...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You are making it sound like they are taking Mrs. Kyle's house away and food for their children. The purpose of publishing houses having insurance is for this very reason.
    A quote from a Jessie Ventura interview you posted. But where does the insurance company get its money? It is included in the prices of things we buy and the insurance premiums we pay. Would you extend that to medical costs as well- "the insurance company will pay- not the consumers or the doctors" though it adds to the costs of healthcare.

A quote from a Jessie Ventura interview you posted. But where does the insurance company get its money? It is included in the prices of things we buy and the insurance premiums we pay. Would you extend that to medical costs as well- "the insurance company will pay- not the consumers or the doctors" though it adds to the costs of healthcare.
    He was referring to his belief that I was being dramatic about the widow. Fine, but I'm guessing there was either a cap on the insurance coverage (so she still had to pay), or the premiums just went up a bit.

The insurance company should have stayed the hell away from a liar like Kyle. Their job is to calculate risks and they still went ahead and insured him? Sorry but they took a chance and lost, such is life.

For the millionth time.. it was in a book that Chris Kyle made money on, he lied about Ventura in the book which was a big headline when it came out and no doubt increased sales.. and made Ventura look VERY bad and it hurt his career.. I agree this is textbook defamation, plus the money is going from somebody who doesn't deserve it to somebody who does.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

From the books they print and sell. Wow, the price of books may soar now.

Great, hopefully they will stop insuring murderers for hire so cheaply.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast