Thread: No Child Left Outside

No Child Left Outside

No Child Left Outside: Another Mom Arrested for Letting Kid Play in Park

Lenore Skenazy | Jul. 29, 2014

A Port St. Lucie, Florida, mom has been arrested and charged with child neglect for daring to let her son, 7, play in the park half a mile from home. He was happily walking there when a busybody noticed him and asked where his mommy was. Then the busybody called the cops, since apparently no child should ever be outside without a private security detail.

The police descended upon the scene of the crime and later arresting the mom for the usual charge of child neglect. What if something bad had happened?

As the mom, Nicole Gainey, told ABC Action News:

"My own bondsman said my parents would have been in jail every day," says Gainey who paid nearly $4,000 to bond out.

The officer wrote in the report that Dominic was unsupervised at the park and that "numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity".

"He just basically kept going over that there's pedophiles and this and that and basically the park wasn't safe and he shouldn't be there alone," says Gainey.

Never mind that research has shown living on the same block as a registered sex offender does not make kids less safe. It seems the cops bought into the idea that predators are everywhere, always waiting to pounce, and simply because the worst could happen—no matter how extremely unlikely—children can never be left unsupervised in well-lit, popular public parks.
    More:
    http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/29/no...her-mom-arrest
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If the cop really cared, he would sit there are watch the park while the kid was playing. The kid never should have spoken to a stranger either.

SEVEN... that's what, 2nd grade and going into 3rd grade in a few weeks?

Don't kids that age walk to and from school, or is that still OK?

Police should be trying to catch the "threat" (at the park?) and not abuse the potential victim there... whatz wid dat?

+++

“Give me the children until they are seven and anyone may have them afterwards.” – St. Francis Xavier

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance. - DoI
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 07-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Yes they do. But usually only a mile or so. Then, once they get to school, they are looked at by the most well trained, caring, loving, intelligent, educated professionals in the world so I'm not sure if the comparison 100% works
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    SEVEN... that's what, 2nd grade and going into 3rd grade in a few weeks?

Police should be trying to catch the "threat" (at the park?) and not abuse the potential victim there... whatz wid dat?

+++

“Give me the children until they are seven and anyone may have them afterwards.” – St. Francis Xavier

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance. - DoI
    I have been shocked in the past to learn that people pick up and drop off their Junior High school kids. I don't think these kids even have a bike. Too dangerous, you know?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I grew up on the Jersey side of the Hudson River 6 miles from the George Washington Bridge into Upper Manhattan. I walked 0.7 miles to school 1st and 2nd grade. We played stick ball, kick ball, and touch football in the streets anywhere in between in the afternoons thereafter without supervision.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I grew up on the Jersey side of the Hudson River 6 miles from the George Washington Bridge into Upper Manhattan. I walked 0.7 miles to school 1st and 2nd grade. We played stick ball, kick ball, and touch football in the streets anywhere in between in the afternoons thereafter without supervision.
    I hate to hear this $#@!, it drives me nuts. My mom would have been in prison. I was a avid explorer to the point where I prematurely grayed my poor moms hair. I was allowed a fair amount of liberty in my younger years, but of course I took much, much more.

And I also walked to school in the early grades, then we moved to the country and I started hitch hiking to school so I wouldn't have to take the bus clear to the next town 8 miles away. How I survived I'll never know.....
    "The Patriarch"

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I hate to hear this $#@!, it drives me nuts. My mom would have been in prison. I was a avid explorer to the point where I prematurely grayed my poor moms hair. I was allowed a fair amount of liberty in my younger years, but of course I took much, much more.

And I also walked to school in the early grades, then we moved to the country and I started hitch hiking to school so I wouldn't have to take the bus clear to the next town 8 miles away. How I survived I'll never know.....
    What events would have unfolded in that time?
    Someone calls police to report...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Its a good thing that mom was arrested. That kid could have gotten lost, kidnapped, or otherwise separated from his parents.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    What events would have unfolded in that time?
    Someone calls police to report...
    And the police would have told them to mind their own business and there wasn't anything they would do about it. If you called the cops in that town it might take 3, 4, 5 hours for them to get there anyway and they probably wouldn't have made the trip.
    "The Patriarch"

LibForestPaul

Was it discretion on their parts? DA's would laugh at them? Curious where the first link in chain of obedience occurred. It was not with the foot patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Was it discretion on their parts? DA's would laugh at them? Curious where the first link in chain of obedience occurred. It was not with the foot patrol.
    The country wasn't paranoid about their kids being away from home to anywhere near the degree it is now, the difference is night and day. I doubt there were any DA's back then who would even have considered pressing charges for that. Certainly none I ever heard of. I did a hell of a lot of running around and nobody ever freaked out about it.
    "The Patriarch"

My siblings, friends and I were often MILES from our home in deep woods around our house. We walked there and back.

What is UP with all the damn busybodies!?! Leave my damn kids ALONE!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    My siblings, friends and I were often MILES from our home in deep woods around our house. We walked there and back.

What is UP with all the damn busybodies!?! Leave my damn kids ALONE!
    Amen to that.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Amen to that.
    +1. I'm a 80's/90's kid, and even that recently parents weren't such paranoid helicopters. Myself and friends rode bikes all over the neighborhood back in those days...unsupervised! and no bike helmets! Getting muddy is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Hiring a Nanny with a Felony for Child Endangerment

When you live in a world filled with excess laws and cruel, capricious or hamstrung enforcers, you can’t judge people by their felonies anymore:

Dear Lenore: I thought of you tonight. We are interviewing a nanny and she disclosed to us that she has a record — a felony endangerment to a child. The reason? Her child was 10 and sick but their schedules did not work for them to get him, so he stayed home from school and she told the neighbor that he was there at the house by himself. She couldn’t get back to him for another half hour. Oh, and he was 10!

Then the school called and her son tried to convince them that his mother was in the shower, but they didn’t buy it and called the police (!!!) who then visited the home and found him alone. They had to call Children & Family Services and from there she ended up getting charged.

We told her that this is not a negative to us and actually is a positive because she trusted her son to be able to stay at home. It’s everyone else that did not trust a child that should certainly be capable of handling a half hour at home by himself when he is sick. My Russian husband told her when he was 7 or 8 in Moscow, he was allowed to walk around by himself with none of this American crazy, and he was much younger than 10.

Crazy, crazy world.

Lenore here: I heard such a strikingly similar story this weekend of another almost-age-10 boy who was home with his 8-year-old sister for a few hours on a school half-day. When the police were alerted to his case, too, his parents (both teachers) were investigated for abuse and neglect. Had the authorities decided to play hardball, the parents could have been charged and perhaps found guilty. After all, it’s true they were not there.

This would have spelled the end of their teaching careers. As it was, they were on pins and needles for several months wondering if their world was about to implode thanks to them knowing and trusting their responsible kids for a few hours, once.

Kudos to this letter writer for having the courage of her convictions to hire the sitter she believes in.

http://www.freerangekids.com/?wref=bif
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why We Believe the World Is Crawling with “Super-Predators”

Readers — This is a great Slate article summing up what the 24/7 news cycle is doing to us as people, parents and policy-demanders. It concentrates on the work of Mary McNaughton-Cassill, a professor at the University of Texas–San Antonio and “leading researcher on the connection between media consumption and stress.” When bad news rushes into the home with graphic images and breathless reports of horror day and night — and we tune in — we come to believe that things are completely terrible. So, writes reporter Jesse Singal:
    [H]istory — even recent history — is rife with examples of society making bad choices because of pessimistic hysteria. One can make a convincing case that belief in the now-debunked notion of “super-predators”contributed to the rise of draconian sentencing laws, for example, or that the recent spate of parents being arrested for letting their children play unsupervised stems from the false but persistent idea, blown up by coverage of high-profile kidnapping cases, that the world is crawling with kid-snatching strangers.

And then there’s the example that probably screams loudest in the liberal imagination: George W. Bush drummed up support for the war in Iraq,which at the time of the U.S. invasion sat at 75 percent, by painting a world in which Al Qaeda and its radical affiliates posed an existential threat to the Western world.

So when people overestimate the world’s awfulness, there do appear to be real consequences. And while, as has eternally been the case, there are certainly pockets of the planet that really are getting worse on a daily basis (Syria), on a broader level there’s solid evidence—perhaps gathered most comprehensively bySteven Pinker—that the world is in the midst of a decades-long trend of actually becoming better: safer and healthier and more humane. We just have the bad stuff shouted into our ears louder than ever before.
    Yep yep yep. This is what we’re up against — a population literally brainwashed to believe that everyone (especially kids) is in constant danger, generally from strangers. The remedy for anyone wishing to feel less paranoid is to turn off the IV drip of terror known as “the media.” But how we can calm down those who believe the media is just giving us a slice of everyday life? I’m open to any and all suggestions, always. – L.

They’re out to get our children!!

http://www.freerangekids.com/why-we-...per-predators/
    "The Patriarch"

Just a thought - how many kids have been kidnapped while carrying guns?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

They want control of your children, plain and simple.

Turn the parents into whipped slaves right in front of the children, and they'll know who has the real power and who to obey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Charges Against Mom Who Let 7 y.o. Walk to Park are DROPPED!

Readers, great news from Port St. Lucie, Fla, where, this summer, Nicole Gainey was arrested and taken to jail in handcuffs for letting her son, 7, walk to the park! Thanks to the Rutherford Institute for this story AND for arranging defense for the single mom!

Florida officials have agreed not to pursue the prosecution of a Florida mother who was arrested and charged with child neglect for allowing her 7-year-old son to visit a neighborhood playground located a half mile from their house. In doing so, the state has effectively put an end to the criminal case against Nicole Gainey. Attorneys for The Rutherford Institute, along with Miami-based criminal defense lawyer Brian H. Bieber, a partner at GrayRobinson, P.A., worked with state prosecutors to achieve a mutually agreeable resolution of the matter that resulted in the charges against Gainey being dropped. In addition to being charged with a third-degree criminal felony charge that carries with it a fine of up to $5,000 and 5 years in jail, Gainey was interrogated, arrested and handcuffed in front of her son, and transported to the local jail where she was physically searched, fingerprinted, photographed and held for seven hours.

continued...http://www.freerangekids.com/charges...k-are-dropped/

https://www.rutherford.org/publicati...ndcuffed_searc
    "The Patriarch"

LibForestPaul

Why drop the charges? What was the theater for? What has happened to the officers and the department?

Very odd.