Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Typical Household, Now Worth a Third Less

Exclamation The Typical Household, Now Worth a Third Less

The Typical Household, Now Worth a Third Less

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/bu...less.html?_r=0

The inflation-adjusted net worth for the typical household was $87,992 in 2003. Ten years later, it was only $56,335, or a 36 percent decline, according to a study financed by the Russell Sage Foundation. Those are the figures for a household at the median point in the wealth distribution — the level at which there are an equal number of households whose worth is higher and lower.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

But look at all the cool Chinese stuff we own now.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Hey, don't blame the Chinese for your problems. Man up.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Thats right! Blame Canada! :P

---

This is the result of Inflation. Then think of how Govt calculates the rate of Inflation. Utilities arent factored in. Food isnt factored in. Obamacare isnt factored in. A bunch of other stuff isnt factored in. Inflation is calulated based on the price of DVD's. Yes, prices of $#@! does go up up up, but that is only half of the real problem. The problem is that the VALUE of our Fiat Currency continues to go down down down. And with the world nearly ready to ditch the Petro Dollar as its Reserve Currency, we are in deep deep doodoo. Yeah, thats my big Adult word for the day, doodoo.

(Note: Story on Front Page at this time points to this article, but it links to another Dog / Cop shooting, need a Mod to fix...)
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Fed.

Entertained.

Exercising Petty Power.

Check...

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Who is blaming the Chinese? I am merely pointing out what Americans have traded their wealth for.
    Equality is a false god.

Now factor in tax obligations via per capita gov't debt obligations and that total asset % plunges further.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Fed.

Entertained.

Exercising Petty Power.

Check...
    Idiocracy isn't just a movie...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Whew, thank goodness, dodged the bullet, my household has never been typical.

That doesn't make sense... China can produce good and services far cheaper than we can. By purchasing their stuff, we are actually saving money and preserving wealth. The problem is taxation, which includes the inflation tax from the Fed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    That doesn't make sense... China can produce good and services far cheaper than we can. By purchasing their stuff, we are actually saving money and preserving wealth. The problem is taxation, which includes the inflation tax from the Fed.
    I think he was making the point that we've been bought off by Chinese slave made crap, not necessarily arguing for protectionism.

Good comment from the study linked: “The housing bubble basically hid a trend of declining financial wealth at the median that began in 2001.”

Misdirection from a distorted price structure leads to bad decisions that finally consume capital and destroy wealth.
    Last edited by buenijo; 07-28-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

That is, along with the housing bubble, what has hid declining wealth for 40 years now.

But at some point in time, you start to reach diminishing returns on that plan.

Wages and income start to fall off a cliff, spending slows down, and the race to the bottom starts.

With over half the households in the US receiving some form of government subsidy, and the lowest labor participation rate in 40 years, that's where we are at.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-28-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Atrocious grammar

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

If taxation is the problem then I guess the Republicans will save us because they are for lower taxes right?
    Equality is a false god.

That is, along with the housing bubble, what has hid declining wealth for 40 years now.

Wages and income start to fall off a cliff, spending slows down, and race to the bottom starts.

With over half the households in the US receiving some form of government subsidy, and the lowest labor participation rate in 40 years, that's where we at.

LibForestPaul

Wages and income start to fall off a cliff, spending slows down, and race to the bottom starts.

With over half the households in the US receiving some form of government subsidy, and the lowest labor participation rate in 40 years, that's where we at.
    Wonder how all the government parasites with their forty year guaranteed pensions are doing?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One More Time...

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Wonder how all the government parasites with their forty year guaranteed pensions are doing?
    They'll be fine, until the system falls apart.

Then, like Soviet pensioners in the 90s, they will, most likely, die.

Quote Originally Posted by buenijo View Post
    Good comment from the study linked: “The housing bubble basically hid a trend of declining financial wealth at the median that began in 2001.”
    A good question: What the hell is "financial wealth"? Why qualify wealth in any particular way? Maybe this began in an intuitive way as people perceived a growing disconnect between the nominal value of financial instruments and the real world value of the underlying capital from which the value of the financial instrument is derived. These financial derivatives are increasingly disconnected from the underlying capital (the real wealth) - that is, they are increasingly disconnected from reality.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

Do we own it? Or are the bills still due?

Fed.

Entertained.

Exercising Petty Power.

Check...
    Bread and circuses have become pink slime burgers and flat screen idiot boxes. Mundanes have never had it so good. Be thankful, before you get a thumpin'.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Bread and circuses have become pink slime burgers and flat screen idiot boxes. Mundanes have never had it so good. Be thankful, before you get a thumpin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    ///
    "The Patriarch"

If you had nothing ten years ago, and you have nothing now, you've done 33% better than the median...

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    If you had nothing ten years ago, and you have nothing now, you've done 33% better than the median...
    I Guess that means I am ok , LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    None of that for me , but thanks anyway B.

I can get by without much of that....

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    woah... that hit me like a ton of bricks.... I guess I should be thankful then
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

This should have been left in General Pol for the masses .

woah... that hit me like a ton of bricks.... I guess I should be thankful then
    Yeah , been happening to me for decades, you get used to it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast