Thread: Calendula: Growing medicine

Calendula: Growing medicine

Calendula: Growing medicine

Monday, July 28, 2014 by: Alex Du Toit

Calendula officinalis, also known as pot marigold, is a cheerful orange or yellow blossoming flower. It not only looks good in the garden and is a companion to other plants in the garden but also has incredible healing properties.

Calendula is a gift in the garden. Not only does it add a cheerful beauty, but it also has many benefits. Calendula is one of the best companion plants in the garden. This means that they help other plants thrive. The smell of Calendula deters cabbage maggots, Mexican bean beetles, aphids, tomato hornworms and the asparagus beetle. Plant it everywhere! Calendula loves the sun but can do well in partial shade too and likes a moderate amount of water. Plant seeds in the ground in early spring and you might get them to grow to 2 feet tall! Keep on picking the Calendula as it flowers, because then it will keep growing more. Collect the flowers on a hot summer day, as that is when the resin content is the highest. Dry the Calendula right after harvest and make sure that the flowers are dried all the way through before storage to prevent molding. Once you have dried Calendula flowers and leaves, you can make all sorts of Earth medicine!

Calendula as Medicine

Heals wounds and skin irritations
    Anti-aging
    Anti-inflammatory
    Antifungal
    Antiviral
    Astringent
    Stimulates the immune system
    Helps minimize skin scarring
    Helps with sore throat and sores and inflammation in mouth and throat
    Helps rid dandruff
    Can bring body temperature down when there is a fever

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am glad you posted this. I don't have a garden this year but I have made ointment from marigold flowers before I still have a little left from previous years.