Thread: Please refer me to a good book or books about the french revolution

Question Please refer me to a good book or books about the french revolution

Please refer me to a good book or books about the french revolution.

I would imagine there have to be a few good ones on the subject by now
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand."
    - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing?
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand."
    - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

A Tale of Two Cities?
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

At least one of Victor Hugo's novels is centered around the time of the revolution, although it is just a novel and not specifically about the revolution.
    I read it years ago, but don't recall it being nearly as captivating as Les Miserables, which I read nearly without stopping.

Ninety-Three.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-Three
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

How about The French Revolution by Thomas Carlyle? I have not read it yet (just got it) but it is certainly THE classic. It was supposed to have been written by John Stuart Mill, but he didn't have time, so upon Mill's suggestion the task was passed to Carlyle. Carlyle finished the first of three volumes and sent the manuscript to Mill for comment. Somehow Mill (or his maid according to him) burned the manuscript and Carlyle had to do it over again.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Voltaire

-t

Les Miserables. Pronounce the "les"

Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.